XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Side Marker Bulb Question and Turn Signal Bulb Suggestion.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 04:19 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Side Marker Bulb Question and Turn Signal Bulb Suggestion.

Hi Guys:

I have a 2007 XKR convertible and I think the tiny orange 'side marker' bulbs (on the side of the headlights) look real cheesey! What a shame that Jag didn't hide them beneath an obscured piece of white plastic, or something. Has this bothered anyone else enough to come up with a modification or an alternative, or is it just me?? I know they are required by law in the US but I wonder what the European models have there or is it the same?

By the way, I have replaced the front turn signal bulbs with the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs that have a blueish tint when off but are orange when on and they look fantastic! No more 'fried egg' look. Well worth the low cost and the time it takes to remove the headlights to replace the bulbs.

Regards - Roger

Old 02-21-2008, 04:37 PM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
Default RE: Side Marker Bulb Question and Turn Signal Bulb Suggestion.

I just ordered some chromium side and turn signal bulbs (turns amber when turned on), 6000K HID bulbs and xenon match parking and fog light bulbs. If the chromium bulbs looks terrible, I'm going to stick with the stock bulbs for now. I've had the 6000K HID bulbs, xenon match parking and fog lights on my Benz before so I'm sure it would be fine. Too bad the XKR doesn't have Eurospec headlight unit where it's completely clear without any amber reflectors. I should have all the bulbs by late next week so hopefully installed by next weekend and let you know how it turned out.

BTW...how hard was it to disassemble the headlight unit? If it's a hassle, I'll just have my friend's speed shop install it for me...lol.[sm=smiley4.gif]

Old 02-21-2008, 10:24 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, please do let me know how they turn out and a pic of the bulbs turned off would be nice.

Headlamp is very easy to take out for bulb replacement and takes very little time. The manual has simple instructions that are easy to follow.

Regards - Roger

Old 10-03-2008, 03:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As soon as I bought my XK, I changed these orange side marker bulbs for white LED's. I changed the headlight bulbs for 8000k HID's and now they match perfectly and look like a standard factory fit setup. I lost the orange indicators in favour of the Silvatec bulbs and the front end now looks like it should have done when it left the factory (for Europe at least)

Old 05-05-2010, 11:16 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know this is an old post but I've been thinking of doing this on my 2007 XKR as I don't like the orange front side-marker lights at all.

If they are replaced by LED's does the "bulb out" sensor complain or not?

Thanks, Graham.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:45 PM

Hey I would love some more information on this I can not stand the yellow strip in the headlight unit on the side. Is there anyway to go in there in change it? I would love to paint the inside of the house lighting same color as the car sort of like what The Corvette look like

Any info would be great my only other option is to smoke out that strip on each side

Old 05-13-2010, 12:52 PM

ALso does any one here have a picture of the front lights smoked ?

Old 05-14-2010, 11:04 AM
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

One word of caution, I've tried out those "stealth bulbs" a few years ago that are chromed so you cannot see the amber bulbs, and (at least the ones I purchased) were not as bright, and burned out far too quickly, like within a 6-7 months IIRC.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:32 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerdodger
Hi Guys:

I have a 2007 XKR convertible and I think the tiny orange 'side marker' bulbs (on the side of the headlights) look real cheesey! What a shame that Jag didn't hide them beneath an obscured piece of white plastic, or something. Has this bothered anyone else enough to come up with a modification or an alternative, or is it just me?? I know they are required by law in the US but I wonder what the European models have there or is it the same?

By the way, I have replaced the front turn signal bulbs with the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs that have a blueish tint when off but are orange when on and they look fantastic! No more 'fried egg' look. Well worth the low cost and the time it takes to remove the headlights to replace the bulbs.

Regards - Roger
Where did you find the Silverstar bulbs. I have searched the internet and find many but not the correct model number.?

Old 11-29-2010, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by sorapp
Where did you find the Silverstar bulbs. I have searched the internet and find many but not the correct model number.?
Possibly it's the Philips Silvervision?

link: http://www.lighting.philips.com/in_e...ghting&lang=en

Old 11-29-2010, 05:09 PM

You can also go with Stealth Bulbs which I did......I remember Silvervisions still had alittle amber so I went with Stealth Bulb which is completely chrome but it's not as bright as Silvervisions.

Here's mine with the Chrome Bulb:

here with it off:

here with it on:

Old 11-30-2010, 04:14 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ahah, that's what I wanted to see.

Ghostrider, it looks like you've replaced both of your small marker & side lights with LED ones. Does this cause a problem with the "bulb out" warning system at all?
I'm intending to do this myself if it's ok.

I've already fitted silvered turn indicators to get rid of the 'fried egg' look. Huge improvement.
Shame about the awful orange reflectors though!

Graham.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by GrahamS
Ahah, that's what I wanted to see.

Ghostrider, it looks like you've replaced both of your small marker & side lights with LED ones. Does this cause a problem with the "bulb out" warning system at all?
I'm intending to do this myself if it's ok.

I've already fitted silvered turn indicators to get rid of the 'fried egg' look. Huge improvement.
Shame about the awful orange reflectors though!

Graham.
Graham..............

If I remember correctly (this was when I first got the car), when I installed both city and side marker lights with LED, one of them was dimly lit when the lights were switched off. Because of that, I just installed the City Light with LED and bought some Chrome Side Marker bulbs. Recently, I found some error free LEDs with built in resistors and now they work perfectly.

I first bought some blue LEDs (the ricer in me...haha). They were just too blue and was concerned whenever I had them on I might get pulled over by the cops so I switched to white.

Here were the blue ones (also in avatar).......

Last edited by GhostriderXKR08; 11-30-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:50 AM

BTW....at night the LEDs are pretty bright but I was hoping they would be alittle brighter than they are during the day......

Old 11-30-2010, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDERXKR08
Graham..............

If I remember correctly (this was when I first got the car), when I installed both city and side marker lights with LED, one of them was dimly lit when the lights were switched off. Because of that, I just installed the City Light with LED and bought some Chrome Side Marker bulbs. Recently, I found some error free LEDs with built in resistors and now they work perfectly.

I first bought some blue LEDs (the ricer in me...haha). They were just too blue and was concerned whenever I had them on I might get pulled over by the cops so I switched to white.

Here were the blue ones (also in avatar).......

Is this a DIY mod i have not even looked at the light yet is this something we can just pul out and replace ourself ??

Old 11-30-2010, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by nytojerz
Is this a DIY mod i have not even looked at the light yet is this something we can just pul out and replace ourself ??
It's very easy to take off the headlights. Just two screws up top and one in the wheel well. Detach the hose for the headlight wiper fluid and also detach the wiring to the headlight unit and the unit should come out. Twist the two doors (back and side) to get to whichever bulb you're looking for. I also installed 6000K HID headlight bulbs at the same time.

Once you know how to do it......you can probably remove the headlight unit and change the bulb in 5 minutes.

This is what the headlight units look like once out.....

Just a side note.....test the LED bulb before reinstalling the headlight unit. Remember, LED bulbs would light up only one way so if it doesn't light up, you will need to turn the bulb around.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:13 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

So I'm reading all of these LED posts and thinkin....next step....angel eyes. Guess maybe a little crass but heh....I saw a retrofit on a Ferrari that really looked neat (just lower edge of light on a 430). The next question is just what to outline...center interior oblong round face with headlight in center...entire lower curved base...entire upper curved top...or both entire top and bottom with complete surround...hummmm....decisions, decisions...

Old 12-01-2010, 04:15 PM

Or you can go Startech's LED Daytime runners .....but of course you need the 2010+ front bumper.