Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts
Default Simultaneous ownership of xkr and F-type

Has anyone out there simultaneously owned both these beautiful vehicles

Some side by side pics would be nice

Old 08-13-2016, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

Sorry that's not allowed... will make the F-Type owners too depressed Juuuuust kiiiidin

Old 08-13-2016, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Every time I see an F-Type I am impressed by the sound and the look. If I were in the market to add that style car to my stable it would be a solid contender.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

The F Type has already become invisible to me.

Partly because it is proportionately a small car. Also many of its sharp lines are also present on every other new car, think vet et all. Its still striking from the rear and distinct.

The XK has a much larger poise. The stance still stands out. To me.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:40 AM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

I really really wanted to love the F-type, especially the coupe, but it just isn't there for me. The proportions, lines, curves, just don't come together for me as they do the XK (and did from the moment I first saw it). I find it like a 911 in that the performance may be there but the beauty and grace are not and for that kind of coin it better be. Only a few cars have "the look" to me - the original NSX, the X150, Aston's and Ferrari's where I look at them and think "WOW!" they really did it right... oh and the Fisker had that look too

Old 08-13-2016, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member

When we were buying the XK at the Tampa Jag dealer the Wife gravitated to the F-Type out front. She liked it until she got closer and saw that it was a Boxster sized car. We had one and now that we are used to the Grand Tourer style 2 door car it is impossible for us to go back.

We are all XK owners so our preference will be this category for the most part. When I had my car paint corrected by my go-to detailer (been using him for years) he was of the opinion that my XK was a boat. Huge as he put it, I didn't take offense. Just goes to show you how subjective this topic is...

Old 08-13-2016, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,272 Likes on 876 Posts

Schwaabe (sp?) has got both and it is in his profile picture. I think he has the XKRS and his missus an F type V8S.

Having gone from one to the other, they are just different cars, that's all. I preferred the XKR for a few things (getting in and out, V8 rumble, more comfy seats, rear seat area) and the f type for others (better steering, transmission, handling, infotainment). Personally I thought the XK was a better shape overall especially at the back, but for some reason the f type gets much more attention.

Old 08-13-2016, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
for some reason the f type gets much more attention.
Makes sense, it appeals to a younger, new generation of target buyers for Jaguar. Let's face it, the X150 while beloved by us owners is a loser in the sales dept. Consistently declining sales despite being a great product. They are trying to chuck the "old man" image and grab market share from BMW and Audi.

The F-Type puts them square in the fight, while it doesn't have the classic Jaguar lines current owners find attractive why does it matter, there aren't that many X150 new market buyers anyway. Us value minded used car buyers grabbing them up post-depreciation don't do them any good.

Old 08-13-2016, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry about the grainy pic I just remembered we had a jag meet up at the local dragstrip late last year .

The f-type ran a best of 11.7 @122 that night

Attached Thumbnails Simultaneous ownership of xkr and F-type-28028-2007-jaguar-xk.jpg  
Old 08-13-2016, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member

The next question would be how would we generally feel about the f-type coming into different guises obviously one being the current 2 seater and the second coming in the 2+2 configuration .

Would a lot of us make the jump or would we prefer Jaguar to develop a true Bentley GT / AMG S Coupe rival

A F-type in a 2+2 configuration would slightly stretch out the dimensions and help eliminate the awkward look it can have when being viewed from the side bringing it into perfect proportions

Attached Thumbnails Simultaneous ownership of xkr and F-type-unknown-16.jpeg  

Last edited by steve_k_xk; 08-13-2016 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
The next question would be how would we generally feel about the f-type coming into different guises obviously one being the current 2 seater and the second coming in the 2+2 configuration .

Would a lot of us make the jump or would we prefer Jaguar to develop a true Bentley GT / AMG S Coupe rival

A F-type in a 2+2 configuration would slightly stretch out the dimensions and help eliminate the awkward look it can have when being viewed from the side bringing it into perfect proportions
I guess I would have to take a look at it and see it in person. I must say though if it were along the lines of the Bentley or AMG I'm out . To me those cars look like a sedan regardless of how well they perform. Not my style for a fun car.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member

If they came out with an F-Type 2+2 it would be a viable replacement for me to consider.

Like Jagtoes said, it would take an up close and personal look to decide if it passes muster. I like the it's lines now, add some extra length and a half-usable back seat and I may be hooked.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:45 AM
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
The F Type has already become invisible to me.

Partly because it is proportionately a small car. Also many of its sharp lines are also present on every other new car, think vet et all. Its still striking from the rear and distinct.

The XK has a much larger poise. The stance still stands out. To me.
Speaking of invisible, where have you been?

Old 08-14-2016, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SickRob
Speaking of invisible, where have you been?
Had to devote free time to rebuilding my chevy engine. And making it a bit European. It was great fun. Was in Westfield NJ for a Bat Mitzwa, but time was too compressed. looking you up this November without fail.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:15 PM
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Had to devote free time to rebuilding my chevy engine. And making it a bit European. It was great fun. Was in Westfield NJ for a Bat Mitzwa, but time was too compressed. looking you up this November without fail.

What Chevy engine; and how does one make it a bit European?

I'll look forward to November. Just give me a heads up as soon as you know. I may be getting a new hip, no date set as yet.

Old 08-15-2016, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SickRob
What Chevy engine; and how does one make it a bit European?
The answer also applies to the discussion here about the XKR being the last lion.

I love American engineering, I really do, only 2 niggles; they capitulate to market demands (which may itself be confused sometimes) and they define the rule by the exception.

My Suburban has had horrible brakes from day it was new. Nothing would improve it because it was designed so that soccer moms would not go into a tailspin with a rearend not having any weight on it. As opposed to being a carry-all vehicle as it was once called. Solved that along with various mods while engine was apart, again not letting the exception define the rule. example, silly plastic quick-connects on coolant hose that makes disconnection easy the one time in 5 years you have to take the intake off- leaks rest of the time.

Until the F-type, Jaguar never deviated from the Grace-Pace-Space formula. Rolls has yet to deviate from its, neither has lotus, Morgan, Mclaren, Caterham.