XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Size matters

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 07:57 PM
ud
Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Size matters

I am probably the only person on this forum to admit they started to cry when I read the offical demise of the xk series

I dont know if I was crying cause I didnt buy the boxster, or that my mom has terminal cancer and that I am in the midwest now taking care of her and I hate snow, or the car is now a dinosaur.

So I called the fiance in Coronado Cali, crying on the phone last nite, wanting to dump the 2013 xkr ragtop and buy the boxster.

He put everything in perspective :
1. I drove the boxster and complained that it only had 300+ hp and my xkr has over 500
2. I was able to tear up the boxster at the dealer on the test drive with the salesman in the car, who asked me never to come back, but was unable to get the xkr to its full potential cause it was such a savage of a car.
3. Every girl that has a sports car usually has a boxster, and very few have a xkr.
4. Jaguar corp. is going to discontinue the f-type within the next 5 years. WTF. Say that again Jag corp will d/c the f-type in the next 5 years and bring back the xk series , but call it something different.

My fiance did an informal survey at the office asking both the guys and girls their opinion of a 2 seater, f-type.
Out of 43 women, not one of them said they would ever buy a car, even if it was a toy that had no trunk space and no storage space for weekend luggage.
I have at least a carryone and a case for just a weekend romp thru the country side . No room for even that in an f-type.

One woman even went so far as to say that, she wouldnt date a guy that bought an f-type on the basis of "poor planning" for weekend excursions. She has an MBA from Wharton, not a sec'ty

Another female said, "SIze matters, and there isnt any size in a 2 seater, without trunk space.

and the guys? Most of the 59 guys said they would buy a porsche 911, or ferrari, or lambo rather than an f-type cause of the prestige and that their "women" would never accept no trunk space and would consider the purchase as being "selfish." But their girls could deal with the prestige of the other cars

What really sat me down was when the fiance said I could never make a boxster into a 600hp car but the xkr has that potential.

WHen he told me that if I thought the xkr was marketed as a disaster, wait until I see what the f-type 2 seater doesnt accomplish for jag sales in the next 5 years.

Last edited by SoCal Babe; 03-11-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:55 PM
Received 77 Likes on 48 Posts

to start sorry to hear about your mom and would like to wish you and her the best. as for the dinosaur comment I wouldn't worry about the xk production being stopped. most people that have seen any of my xk's didn't even know what kind of car it is. could have told them it's a 2020 jaguar and they would have believed it. your taking it in as we car nuts do and can notice if a single item has been changed on a car from previous model year. as for the size matters maybe you should go for a ride in a f type. I've heard once you go f type you never go back. I have and as nice as my gt is I still want my new mistress and it should be here in a few months

Attached Thumbnails Size matters-image.jpg  
Old 03-12-2014, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by russduka
to start sorry to hear about your mom and would like to wish you and her the best. as for the dinosaur comment I wouldn't worry about the xk production being stopped. most people that have seen any of my xk's didn't even know what kind of car it is. could have told them it's a 2020 jaguar and they would have believed it. your taking it in as we car nuts do and can notice if a single item has been changed on a car from previous model year. as for the size matters maybe you should go for a ride in a f type. I've heard once you go f type you never go back. I have and as nice as my gt is I still want my new mistress and it should be here in a few months
The F-type is a cool little car although when you see it in person it looks big. It may be the car for the younger driver but not for someone who wants to spend a few days in the country or a golf resort unless you ship your clubs . Size isn't the problem it is space that detracts me from purchasing one. It's a fun car ( I enjoyed the test drive) and hopefully it will be successful but I would like more space for our weekend outings.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 323 Posts

I am sorry about your mother I lost mine less than a year ago to cancer.

Here are some one line ramblings on my experience with Porsche and Jaguar ownership.

My Cayman was turbo charged by TPC and had in the realm of 520HP. I could have updated to maybe 560-580 on a very good day with a larger turbo and race gas. But that output would only be valid for that one day right after the tune. I saw some Caymans that touched 600HP but you are talking $49-50K+ just for the mods, I was a good $20K into mine.

In the Cayman/Boxster platform the limitation is not really the HP but the gearing that Porsche uses. The Cayman/Boxster will not go past 180MPH because of the gearing no matter the HP and will never beat a 911 off the line because of the long first gear. Well maybe a lightweight aggressive Cayman can beat a base 911 but other than that not going to happen. Porsche, on purpose uses a more aggressive gear ration in the 911. From our talks to transmission guys on the Cayman boards getting this fitted to a Cayman or just getting some gears redone is major Dollars.

At the same time I had a mildly, just ECU tuned 911 turbo with 500AWD WHP and the Cayman had not a lick of chance. I also had a Boxster Spyder RS60 with something like 350HP. The Boxster was my wife's car, very fun, with plenty of room for the weekend because of the two trunks.

I was a long hard core Porsche owner and still am a fan of the brand but they are just not very accommodating for the USA. The speeds and twisties you need to appreciate the brilliance of a P car are just not there. Driving at just above speed limit and some spirited driving here and there is boring in a P car. I lived for 28 years in Germany and certainly would always have a P car there.

To me the XK is more fun driving slow, sounds better and at the same time is more comfortable. The seats in the P car are terrible on longer drives.

A P car is certainly more reliable, I do not recall to ever have gone to a dealership for any of my P cars other than for service or if I added modifications.

There is no way in hell the XK in any shape or form can hang with a comparable P car on the track, don't care what the hp is, maybe on a mile long straightaway.
On a technical stretch such as the Dragon you would be back at the tree of shame in a P car before an XK made it to the halfway point.

The HP in the XK cannot be put down; you have to feather the gas. I am still getting my tune for 600+ HP just because it is dirt cheap and I can claim I have 600+. But as it stands currently from a rolling start I can get the XKR-S in normal mode and with all DSC turned on to spin the wheels shifting to third. So it already has power it cannot transform into acceleration and you have to feather the gas to get maximum traction.

None of my P cars had launch control but the XKR-S cannot touch the acceleration I had in my P cars, with P car launch control, game over, even the side by side comparisons I saw with the new Vette cannot compete to the P car launch control.

What you get with a P car is technical superiority and performance that just gets it done even against higher HP cars. What Porsches lack is soul. The interior is minimalistic, reminds me of Swedish furniture design, not ugly, just utilitarian. And unless you really stay above 4,500RPM not much is happening.

The XK has the soul, has the little gremlins you have to live with, has the comfort, the looks and is rare and exotic and sound sfantastic even starting to mash the pedal at 2,000RPM.

Would I have bought the XK in January had I known it was discontinued this quickly and absolutely - I am not sure. I would not have bought another P car for sure, maybe a Maserati.

I am not sure why you constantly feel the need to dig? I don't care what education you or your friends have, I do not introduce mine. I don't understand why you constantly feel you need to put your femininity right into our faces and take our manhood down. Yet as soon as somebody responds back with the same flavoring in their writing you become instantly defensive.

People here only post what they think adds value to a thread with their perspective and experience. I am not here in a pissing contest with anybody, some have more than I do some less, whether it is cars, money, education, experience or whatever.

If anyone of us would use your expressions in regards to women you would be seriously offended.

Last edited by Schwabe; 03-12-2014 at 07:50 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Schwabe:
sjtyrer (03-12-2014), SoCal Babe (03-12-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal Babe
You can always trade in the boyfriend, (meaning the xkr) but when you find out the new guy (the f-type) .................................................. .

I never thought guys realized that size really does matter!!!!!
This is offensive on so many levels, to both genders. I'm sure an informal poll would show that all woman, single and married, would be appalled by it. A little less attention seeking behaviour and the removal of gender digs will work in your favor.

Show respect in your posts, and it will be returned.

The following users liked this post:
sjtyrer (03-12-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 09:18 AM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

I've locked this thread, the reasons why should be fairly obvious!

The following 5 users liked this post by Cambo:
beh2010 (03-12-2014), JimC64 (03-12-2014), richzak (03-12-2014), sjtyrer (03-12-2014), Snide72 (03-12-2014)