XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Soon to be 2007 XKR owner, some questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 05:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soon to be 2007 XKR owner, some questions...

Hi everyone!

I will be purchasing an almost new 2007 XKR next week and am excited to join the forum and the exclusive XKR club. From everything I have read the XKR is going to be a really great blend of daily driver + sports car for me. I had a couple of questions and would be grateful if anyone could answer them:

1. Are there any chronic issues with the 2007 model that I should be aware of? (since it is the 1st year of the redesign)
2. Is the iPhone fully compatible with the car? I was able to make outbound calls in my brief test drive but was curious if the address book can sync with it.
3. Any other general opinions on the car, comments, etc?

I look forward to hearing your comments! I will certainly post pictures when I get it next week.

Best regards,
ez

Old 06-24-2008, 06:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Soon to be 2007 XKR owner, some questions...

[sm=welcomesign.gif].... to the forum and CONGRATS on the XKR.... you'll love it!!!!

I have an '08, so can't comment on the any known '07 issues. I do not have an Iphone; but,have two different phones that I sync with MS Outlook that both sync fine including my address book. I have heard that most people using Iphones have had success using B T ................

Old 06-24-2008, 06:31 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Not sure of any chronic issues that I have heard about. There are a few 07-08 model owners around, but I doubt they will have anything more to contribute in the way of 'design flaws'. The powertrain is the same as the previous, tried-and-true XK8/Rs, with some minor performance improvements, so unless the different navigation/audio system has any bugs, there won't be alot of complaints; You're a lucky guy, the styling on those xks are intense. My next jag will either be an 08 or 09xk, after this one is paid off of course.

The service techs on here will be able to tell you what the XKs have been coming in for in the first 1-2 years of ownership, that may help you.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:03 AM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

I guess I'll chime inalthough mine is an '08. The iPhone will sync with no problem. Once in awhile I have to reconnect but most times I've had no problem. Bought the car new in January '08 and here are the list of problems. Currently I have approximately 2,300 miles:

1. New Auxiliary Pump: The day I bought the car and driving myway home I received a Check Engine light and turned around back to the dealer. The car was at the dealer for 2 days waiting for the new pump.

2. Replaced Window Regulator: After tinting the window, the guide inside the door cut the tint when the window was rolled down and the dealer had to replace the window regulator.

3. Starting Problem: Once in awhile the car would crank and try to start and then die. The 2nd time will always start though. Dealer couldn't replicate it so they couldn't do anything butlately the car would start the first time. Thought it might be the fuel pump or check valve in the fuel pump. Still monitoring it closely.

4. Brake Squeal almost at a complete stop. After washing the car and the calipers are wet the brakes squeel at the point of almost acomplete stop. Sometimes it would last for days if I don't drive it much. I feel like an idiot at a stop light and the squeal happens and everyone is looking at a $90K+ vehicle with brake squeal. Dealer advised it's the glaze of the caliper and also the compound of the brake material (Semi-Metallic) making it squeak and said nothing can be done. After driving for awhile and using the brakes it would go away but the problem I have is I wash my car ever week so it comes back every time.

5. Door Trim Clip (Minor): When they installed the new window regulator, one of the door clips became loose and the door panel wouldn't secure properly so they had to replace one.

6. When pressing the button on the handle tolock the door from the outside, sometimes the car would beep instead of lock. I would press it a second time and it would lock. Just a minor nuisance.

I still love the car and itfeels more special everytime I get in the driver's seat than my newly purchased Mercedes SL65 AMG. The engine has been solid and so has been the tranny although it only has 2,300 miles.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:50 AM

Ghostrider,

sorry to hear about your problems.............. boy, have I been lucky (knocks on wood) ........ bought my car in November and have had it back at the dealer once to hard wire for my V1 radar detector.....

In fact, the owner of the dealership that I bought from called the other day because he hadn't seen or heard from me.

you're so right about it 'feeling special'; I had it out last Sunday morning (around 6am) ... for a 'spirited drive' and it felt great. After and hour in my 996 turbo, I would be looking for the shortest route home.... performance, comfort, creature features, and styling....

I hope they have your problems all sorted out and that they don't detract from your pleasure in owning the car.

to the OP, since the car is 'almost new' you should be able to have them run the VIN for a service history....... good luck with your purchase......

Old 06-25-2008, 07:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome just make sure you have some money in the bank when it comes time for repairs

Old 06-25-2008, 08:33 AM

mja xkr: Everything has been fix that can be fixed under warranty. So far the car has been starting up at first crank, locking issue is just aminor glitch once in awhile and probably the car not reading the key FOB and the squeaking brakes I'll just have to live with.After the brakes are warmed up I would do some higher speedbraking and usually the squeaking goes away after that.If I had to do it all over again I would definately buy another one. I do wish they had the 500HP with the redesign in '07 instead of releasing it in '09.

If you buy an '07 you'll still have a couple years of warranty so you should be fine.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:13 AM

Only problems here was the battery going flat several timer after me leaving something on. After I jumped it it to start it, I tried to put the top down and it stuck after 3 inches...the computer needed resetting and they had to paly about with the roof mech to get it working. They changed the battery just in case, but I dont think it needed it. Apart from that, nothing whatsover...got 3000 miles on it now and it drives like new. Its still like getting in a brand new car. I have it proffesionaly detailed every month and its gleaming.

What are you guys doing to sync the Iphone? 07's have no jack and I didnt want them pulling all the console out to do the wiring mod, so Im using that crap adaoter through the FM radio and we all know how terrible they are.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:21 AM

Phil, I learned about batteries the hard way... my '06 was dead after I left it for a week when it was brand new.

I keep mine on a battery tender since I usually just drive it on weekends..................

in fact, I stored mine from xmas until April..... detailed, put on blocks, battery tender, and covered......... it was fine cranked right up, no flat spots, etc......

Old 06-25-2008, 12:44 PM

Thanks to everyone for all the replies! Wow, I didn't expect this much activity on the forum, and am so pleased to find it.

ORIGINAL: mja xkr

[sm=welcomesign.gif].... to the forum and CONGRATS on the XKR.... you'll love it!!!!
Thanks mja!!! I can't wait.

ghostrider: I had squeaky brakes with my brand new 2005 C6, and I can definitely sympathize with the embarrassment. GM finally acknowledged the problem and actually replaced the brake pads with a new kind after I had it for about a month, under warranty.

If anyone has any suggestions as far as iPod/iPhone connectivity, or as far as V1 hardwire + mounting (mja?) I would love to hear it.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:00 PM

I was once a Corvette guy....C5 though. Loads of fun and much easier to mod. Have you done the ram air, corsa exhaust and lowering? I remember those were my first mods...lol. It grew to Stage II Heads and Cam and many other mods including AT1 D1-SC Supercharger although I never installed it.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:32 PM

Sweet! I had a C5 as well when it just came out. I never modded my cars since I went through them too fast, but one of these days I'll afford a pleasure car to go with my daily driver and will mod it up [sm=icon_cheers.gif].

Old 06-25-2008, 01:36 PM

dealer wired it for me (freebie) .... just wired it right into dome light..... mounted upper windsheild just above and to the left (drivers side) of mirror................

don't have a solution for ipod ......... let me know what you find.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:10 PM

Cool Mike, thanks for the info. I'll let you know about the iPod once I dig into that.
Your car is awesome! Just checked out your pics.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: GHOSTRIDERXKR08

I was once a Corvette guy....C5 though. Loads of fun and much easier to mod. Have you done the ram air, corsa exhaust and lowering? I remember those were my first mods...lol. It grew to Stage II Heads and Cam and many other mods including AT1 D1-SC Supercharger although I never installed it.
lol ill trade you straight up for either your XKR or SL65, I got a 07 z06 right now in silver with both the navigation and chrome wheels or ill sell it to you for $62k it has only 2100 miles! & yeah that brake squeal is a bitch isnt it lol [:'(]

Old 06-25-2008, 11:27 PM

That is one hot car and garage bmw745ion19s!

Old 06-25-2008, 11:57 PM

Very nice!Z06 is a great car. I was looking into one but ended up with the SL65. Are you upgrading to the ZR1? I heard many dealers are marking up $20k-$30k on them. ZR1 should be badazz also. Nice collection! I see you also a SRT10. I was just cruising with my friend this evening who also has a Viper. His straight pipes with Borla exhaust overpowered my stock wimpy SL65 exhaust. [sm=smiley18.gif]

Old 06-27-2008, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

thanks EZ thats a friend of my family's "toy barn" lol its fun, i go over there a lot hang out, my lil bro helps him out a lot with detailing. lol as far as the ZR1 goes i def wont be getting one, way too many cars i want b4 id even consider that, he is getting 2 or 3 of them i think if you want one or know someone who does let me know and ill see what i can do for them. and the viper thing, that car is a monster with that V10 but honestly i was messing with his the other day and was very unimpressed, feels very unsafe and too raw. I like raw in a german stripped down race car form not the american form.