XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Space Saver Size

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 05:25 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Space Saver Size

HI, Does anyone know the size of the space saver rim that will fit a 2012 XKR with 20 inch rims.?

Are they 18 inch or do they make a 20 inch?

I found a few on e-bay but not sure if they will fit a car with 20 inch rims. They all seem to be bright orange 18 inch. I think the height of the space saver tyre may make up the extra bit in size. They don't seem to be low profile. Any help appreciated.

Bob

Old 10-18-2012, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,175 Likes on 3,396 Posts

Bob,

As explained below, Jaguar makes space saver spares with 18" and 19" rims, but not 20". The 19" rim is black and the 18" is orange. The taller compact spare tire profile makes the overall height virtually the same as your 20" wheels with low profile tires.

I note that you're in the UK, and that US market cars might be different. I believe that Jaguar changed wheel offsets beginning in 2010, so my experience might not apply to your 2012 XKR.

I recently completed my quest for a compact spare for my 2009 (4.2) XKR with 20" Selena wheels. Since it has the optional Alcon brakes, it did not come with a spare - just the inflator kit. For details, see this post: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-brakes-67260/

I mention this because I was able to use the compact spare from a 2011 XJ Supersport that had 20" wheels. That Supersport compact rim is 19" and is mounted with a 135/70-19 105M tire. As explained in my other post, I had to use a spacer for the 19" rim to clear the rear caliper.

Although I suspect the black 19" space saver will fit your 2012 XKR, you might need some modifications to do so. I would first check with your dealer to see if there is a factory spare that will fit your car.

Hope this helps,

Stuart

Old 10-19-2012, 08:03 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine has the 18" orange spare. Not real comfortable putting that on the car given such a difference. I just don't understand these companies that do this. My wife drives and XC90 AWD Volvo and it has 20" wheels. The spare is 18" and it say in the owners manual, "DO NOT DRIVE THIS CAR WITH ANY WHEEL SIZE OTHER THAN WHAT IS ON THE CAR BECAUSE IT CAN DAMAGE THE TRANSMISSION!" It's crazy.

Therefore, I think either get fix-a-flat, run-flats or call AAA. Not worth risking the mechanicals on the car. I'd put the spare on only so I can be loaded on a roll-back.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by chakka
Mine has the 18" orange spare. Not real comfortable putting that on the car given such a difference. I just don't understand these companies that do this. My wife drives and XC90 AWD Volvo and it has 20" wheels. The spare is 18" and it say in the owners manual, "DO NOT DRIVE THIS CAR WITH ANY WHEEL SIZE OTHER THAN WHAT IS ON THE CAR BECAUSE IT CAN DAMAGE THE TRANSMISSION!" It's crazy.

Therefore, I think either get fix-a-flat, run-flats or call AAA. Not worth risking the mechanicals on the car. I'd put the spare on only so I can be loaded on a roll-back.
Chakka,

I wouldn't be concerned about using your 18" orange space saver spare since it was included with your car by the factory and was designed to be used with your car on a temporary basis. That 18" spare won't damage the transmission since the overall diameter is the same as your 20" Selena wheels. The spare tire's higher profile (sidewall height) compensates for the smaller rim size.

We both own 2009 XKR Portfolio models. Yours came with a spare but mine did not because it has the optional Alcon brakes. See my 11:21PM post yesterday. I'm really glad now that I finally have a spare.

As for the Inflator Kit, you can't rely on it because it won't work on a severely damaged tire. As for run-flats, I checked tirerack.com and there aren't any in the OEM size. But if you insist - for the fronts, you'd have to drop down from 255 to a slightly narrower 245/35-20, and for the rears you'd have to drop down from 285 to a slightly narrower 275/30-20. I'm not sure if run-flats are compatible with our Selena wheels. Also, run-flats can't be repaired and replacement cost is painful. Bottom line is wouldn't do run-flats.

I keep a 12v inflator in each of our cars. In my experience, they're great to pump up a minor flat with a slow leak so you can get to a gas station to get it fixed instead of putting on the spare. But if you have to use the fix-a-flat sealant to get the tire to hold air pressure, that causes more problems than it's worth, in my opinion.

Sealants don't permanently repair the tire; it must still receive a traditional inside patch including removing the sealant from inside of the tire - a time consuming process. Also, use of a canned sealant could invalidate the tire warranty.

Sorry for being long-winded. I'm old-school and feel more comfortable having a real spare tire in the trunk. And to have AAA change it for me, if necessary.

Stuart

Old 10-19-2012, 03:12 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the reply. So I need a 19 inch black space save. The Alcon brakes do need different wheels, I know that. Alcon are not fitted anymore in the UK. Just thought someone may of had a 20 inch space saver. Bob

Old 10-19-2012, 09:15 PM
Veteran Member

Bob,

I'm not sure which size space saver spare will work with your 2012 XKR. You should check with your Jaguar dealer to know for certain. The 18" orange rim and 19" black rim have different offsets and I don't know which one fits the 2012 XKR. Don't let the space saver rim diameter mislead you; the determining factors are the offset (to clear the calipers) and tire sidewall height (to make it the same diameter as your 20" rim and tire).

Chakka and I both have 2009 XKRs with 20" Selena wheels. His car came from the factory with the 18" orange spare; my car came with no spare since it has Alcon brakes, but now has the 19" black spare (which Jaguar didn't offer in 2009). The black spare first became available on the new 2010+ XJ Supersport, apparently because those buyers wouldn't accept a car with no spare. Because the 19" black spare has more offset, it clears my Alcon calipers. Chakka doesn't have Alcon brakes and the 18" orange spare works fine with his 20" Selena wheels. I believe that Jaguar changed the wheel offsets on the XKRs in 2010.

Check with your dealer before buying a spare.

Stuart

Old 10-21-2012, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Default 19" Space Saver Pix

I thought you might want to see the 19" rim and tire:

And the toolkit:

And in the trunk with the inflator kit (black/orange) and torque wrench:

Stuart

Last edited by Stuart S; 10-22-2012 at 01:57 PM. Reason: add a photo