XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Technology takes us forward or backwards?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts
Default Technology takes us forward or backwards?

Yesterday was oil change day for my 3 vehicles. I tend to do my own changes for being 2+ hours drive away from a Jaguar dealer and, at least, a 1 hour drive away from any indy shop.

Started with my 2015 Corvette Stingray; 5 minutes to jack up, 5 minutes to drain oil, change filter, 5 minutes to refill with oil, to lower and put the jack away and 5 relaxed minutes to reset the Service Required message. Less than 20 minutes total.

Next my 2010 XKR; No lifting needed. 10 minutes to assemble electric suction pump and its hoses, 5 minutes to pull the oil and change the filter, 45 minutes to refill. Manual says to wait 5 minutes after shutting the engine off to see electronic readout of oil level. Took me 45 minutes as I was not getting the level read. Finally, just to try something, I closed the hood and finally got my read. Why would the hood have to be closed while checking the level? Why no mention of this in the manual? Additional 1 hour, trying to reset the Service Required message without success.

Next the 2012 5.0 XF. Same as above but, add a bunch of cussing and 10 more minutes while refitting the stupidly designed plastic engine cover. Additional 20 minutes disassembling the electric pump + hoses and blow/clean the residual oil out of them so that they do not leak all over my storage shelf. Several hours trying to reset the Service Required message by reading numerous posts on this forum as well as trying different recommendations from my Google search. No luck, after dozens and dozens of attempts I still have the messages blaring at me in both cars.

Total time spent on the Jaguars: several hours and infinite measure of cussing out Jaguar engineering.

At least, I am done with my frustrations for a year.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Wow, I changed my XKR oil about a month ago. It took a total of maybe thirty minutes, probably less, from Opening the Bonnet to having a FULL readout on the dash.
Did you have your engine warmed up before you sucked out the old? Not HOT, but warmed?
Also, why blow/clean the extraction hoses? Just hook the ends together so they don't leak or drip.
My friend, I think you took the WAY long way around.

Old 07-07-2016, 12:30 PM
Received 70 Likes on 42 Posts

I've given up on trying to reset my service required message....

Old 07-07-2016, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

i've given up on trying to check oil level after any period of time waiting after the car has been started. The manual's 5 minute wait is a joke. When I remember, I check oil level before I start the car first time in the morning. Why oh why is a dipstick considered superfluous?

Old 07-07-2016, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Wow, I changed my XKR oil about a month ago. It took a total of maybe thirty minutes, probably less, from Opening the Bonnet to having a FULL readout on the dash.
Did you have your engine warmed up before you sucked out the old? Not HOT, but warmed?
Also, why blow/clean the extraction hoses? Just hook the ends together so they don't leak or drip.
My friend, I think you took the WAY long way around.
On my pump the hoses do not fit into each other (end to end) so, they have to be drained, cleaned and plugged.

Yes, I did warm the oil and the extraction time was not an issue. The main delays were the level checks once refilled and the endless attempts to get rid of the Service Required warnings. Needlessly complicated procedures for a reset that, judging from the many posts I have seen on this, do not work for a LOT of people and cars. On my Stingray I did not even have to read instructions, the reset is easy and intuitive. Jaguar over complicates things for some reason. Perhaps, they do not wish to make it easy for a home mechanic to service the cars.

BTW - my XF was returned from its last dealer service (a year ago) with the Service Required warning displaying at each startup. Looks like the dealer could not even reset it? I have not taken it back because of the distances.

Last edited by axr6; 07-07-2016 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:19 PM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

Unreal! One of you guys better come up with a "real dipstick" mod for those...my next XK is going to be a 2010 or later! At least a full-level plug in side of oil pan.

Old 07-08-2016, 12:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Originally Posted by axr6
On my pump the hoses do not fit into each other (end to end) so, they have to be drained, cleaned and plugged.

BTW - my XF was returned from its last dealer service (a year ago) with the Service Required warning displaying at each startup. Looks like the dealer could not even reset it? I have not taken it back because of the distances.
Go to your friendly neighborhood hardware store and buy a two-inch piece of hose that fits the two hoses together, or two or three pieces. Probably cost you about a nickel.

For the Service Required, if you do all the button pushes on a one-second cadence while counting to yourself it resets the Warning quite reliably. Maybe practice a few times before you do it for real.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:52 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

There is a way around the problem.

If you get the "oil level not available" message, press the cruise control cancel button a few times, it will reset the system and the oil level will be shown, it's like a forced reset of the system.

This applies to all Jag or Land Rover vehicles with the electronic oil level sensor.

The following 4 users liked this post by Cambo:
axr6 (07-08-2016), Cee Jay (07-08-2016), ralphwg (07-09-2016), tberg (07-08-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 09:35 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

And here I am looking out in the driveway with three cars that are due for an oil change. The ability to remove the old oil without having to get underneath sounds very appealing.

Old 07-09-2016, 04:32 PM
Received 442 Likes on 185 Posts

Other than no coolant gauge my biggest gripe is no transmission dipstick. The service method is absolutely stupid. Fortunately the 4.2 has an oil dipstick. It's all about money. They want you to bring it in for everything. Too bad nobody ever looks at a car for sale and walks out when they don't see dipsticks. Maybe then the manufacturers would get their heads out of their asses.