Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Timing chain/ Oil Update

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts
Default Timing chain/ Oil Update

The experiment that was Direct Injection has taken a decisive new conclusion.

As you may recall, I had posted that scientists had discovered that direct injected engines produce a highly abrasive dust that causes accelerated wear....

So they demanded that the new oil specification standards include an oil's ability to cope with this grinding dust. (for the sake of the non-gearheads; a good part of byproduct of combustion {soot} mixes with the oil; part is expelled out the exhaust pipe)

Incidentally, its 1000 times greater than regular gas engines.

Get this-they have passed laws that next year, the govt doesnt want this crap in the air either. Particulate filters will be mandatory. These particulate filters have barely just been invented.

Give it some thought, no one realized the animal they were creating by simply raising fuel pressure. Totally uncharted territory, none of the old wisdom applies. If they dont want it in the air, why would you want it in your oil, in an exotic car no less. (you will quickly believe how exotic at the parts counter)

Naturally, this is all information for those of us who are in it for the long haul and love the XK or looking to put some miles on it. It is a grand tourer after all. Although it would behoove all to make sure resale values remain healthy.

My suggestion would be change oil every 5000 miles. Age of oil is not affected by the abrasive particles.

Old 08-12-2016, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
you will quickly believe how exotic at the parts counter
Well, I don't believe it, but that has never stopped the parts guy from
trying to convince me.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

There is a good business in there somewhere. 5 micron abrasive is very expensive to manufacture.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member

I suspect that these particulate filters will impact performance.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

I'm on board with more frequent oil changes myself (My personal decision folks, and I wont waist time debating it) But of added benefit is the ease of filter replacement without oil change. My filters will get replace center between changes as well.
If Q&Cs definition of soot is in fact carbon particles (typically what turns your oil black), then the more of them you keep out of your oil, the better it is for your car.

I'm currently evaluating filters at a novice level (construction quality, surface area) So far I have a Wix, and a Beck Arnley, where the BA wins in construction quality, but am having a hard time finding the particulate size each brand claims to filter to. I'd like to stay away from anything passing over 7 microns. I'm ordering a Mann filter next for comparison to the Beck Arnley.
If anyone can find micron specification for all the key manufacturers, I'd appreciate the info.

Attached Thumbnails Timing chain/ Oil Update-img_8610.jpg  
Old 08-13-2016, 10:53 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Get this-they have passed laws that next year, the govt doesnt want this crap in the air either. Particulate filters will be mandatory. These particulate filters have barely just been invented.
Got a link/source for this law?

Old 08-13-2016, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member

Reminds me of asbestos.

First it was a "good thing", then they discovered decades later
that it causes respiratory disease, so now it is a "bad thing".

But, it took a very long time for the realisation to come about.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CleverName
I'd like to stay away from anything passing over 7 microns.
You might look into a "bypass oil filtration" kit.

They bypass some of your oil through a filter that is
much finer than your primary filter. Eventually, all of
the oil passes through the bypass filter.

Popular on diesel pickups.

Standard on diesel big rigs.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I'm on board with more frequent oil changes myself (My personal decision folks, and I wont waist time debating it) But of added benefit is the ease of filter replacement without oil change. My filters will get replace center between changes as well.
If Q&Cs definition of soot is in fact carbon particles (typically what turns your oil black), then the more of them you keep out of your oil, the better it is for your car.

I'm currently evaluating filters at a novice level (construction quality, surface area) So far I have a Wix, and a Beck Arnley, where the BA wins in construction quality, but am having a hard time finding the particulate size each brand claims to filter to. I'd like to stay away from anything passing over 7 microns. I'm ordering a Mann filter next for comparison to the Beck Arnley.
If anyone can find micron specification for all the key manufacturers, I'd appreciate the info.
Most of the filters I have searched on the net (Bosch , Fram , Mann , Mobile 1 , etc. ) all claim to have 99% efficiency of 25-30 microns. A finer filter 10 Microns or better will clog faster causing the filter to go into bypass mode which defeats the purpose.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Most of the filters I have searched on the net (Bosch , Fram , Mann , Mobile 1 , etc. ) all claim to have 99% efficiency of 25-30 microns. A finer filter 10 Microns or better will clog faster causing the filter to go into bypass mode which defeats the purpose.
That's my point. To reiterate, I do not believe in the 10,000 mile oil change, and reluctantly adhere to a 5K schedule. BUT... With the ease of filter changes thanks to the top mount system, I can have the best of protection possible...
It is my intent to change filters every 2.5K miles, so even finding and using the highest efficiency filter, clogging should never become an issue.
I run my XKR hard and put more aggressive miles on her in a single summer than most of you have in total miles since you purchased yours.

Despite arguments of time, distance or microns, I understand the need for clean oil, and am finally excited about the 5K oil changes intervals when augmented by more frequent filter changes!
Its the least I can to do pamper an engine I put to the test each time I fire her up!

V

Attached Thumbnails Timing chain/ Oil Update-img_8624.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
britannia (08-24-2016)
Old 08-14-2016, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member

They will eventually find a way of filtering. No current method is effective at that micron level that these particles are harmful. To make matters worse these nano-particles shear oil. so even if you could remove them from old oil the oil itself has been compromised. That's why they have made new oil standards that must provide some metric as to be able to resist shearing and loading from soot.

An oil change is in effect outsourcing the filtration, they take the old oil, filter it, add the necessary additives and sell it to you.

Mikey, the lesson for you here is that the auto industry will climb a mountain to keep information away from you, the countless class actions where verdicts have been issued against virtually all automotive makers and suppliers, should be some indication of the culture. Do you think that they would sell another direct injected car if they publicly made a stink. So dont ask where there is a consumer website for the new regulations.

Old 08-14-2016, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member

That's my point. To reiterate, I do not believe in the 10,000 mile oil change, and reluctantly adhere to a 5K schedule. BUT... With the ease of filter changes thanks to the top mount system, I can have the best of protection possible...
It is my intent to change filters every 2.5K miles, so even finding and using the highest efficiency filter, clogging should never become an issue.
I run my XKR hard and put more aggressive miles on her in a single summer than most of you have in total miles since you purchased yours.

Despite arguments of time, distance or microns, I understand the need for clean oil, and am finally excited about the 5K oil changes intervals when augmented by more frequent filter changes!
Its the least I can to do pamper an engine I put to the test each time I fire her up!

V
I am your camp, the oil filter takes less time and effort than pumping gas, i get them for next to nothing and have a dozen on hand at all the time, but I dont know if it does any good.

Old 08-14-2016, 05:53 PM

Mikey, the lesson for you here is that the auto industry will climb a mountain to keep information away from you, the countless class actions where verdicts have been issued against virtually all automotive makers and suppliers, should be some indication of the culture. Do you think that they would sell another direct injected car if they publicly made a stink. So dont ask where there is a consumer website for the new regulations.
So what's the source of your info?

Old 08-15-2016, 01:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
OEM

Law takes effect sept 1 2017 in Europe.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

OK... URL(s) for it? Europe doesn't just spring things without copious discussions etc

Old 08-15-2016, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member

Isnt it awful that google university has failed us. How dare they deprive us the 2-minute read that allows us to debate like authorities on the matter. How now can we leverage generations of experience.

If you dont mind I would like to continue to deprive you of that unfair upper-hand and emphasize the lack of the expected 'copious public discussion'

Old 08-15-2016, 09:17 AM

I suppose your upper hand means we have to listen to someone pontificating like an authority on the matter.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member

I suppose your upper hand means we have to listen to someone pontificating like an authority on the matter.
I Suspected it would not take you long to get personal, and try to wiz in the cat's milk.

Its most illuminating, I suppose contrarians cant see that they are being contrarians. A counterargument is very healthy- it becomes trolling when someone doesnt have a horse in the race i.e Direct Injection, nor the knowledge but want to debate the subject. Even all that would be acceptable. The real tell is that they cant practice their art without the assistance of a internet search- underscoring they have no actual conviction of their own on the matter.

Old 08-15-2016, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Mikey, as Q&C mentioned earlier, try google...

Euro 6c emissions regulation, which takes effect on September 1, 2017.

Found on this web site:

Tenneco Develops Gasoline Particulate Filter Technology For European Light Vehicles | Tenneco Inc.

There are probably others, that's the first one I found.

The following users liked this post:
Mikey (08-15-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Mikey, as Q&C mentioned earlier, try google...

Euro 6c emissions regulation, which takes effect on September 1, 2017.

Found on this web site:

Tenneco Develops Gasoline Particulate Filter Technology For European Light Vehicles | Tenneco Inc.

There are probably others, that's the first one I found.
Thanks, very helpful. My own searches turned up little.

Quick Reply: Timing chain/ Oil Update