XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Track Day

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 06:52 AM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Track Day

Well I entered my first motorcross event last Sunday and thought I'd share some pics with you. Hope you like them...

Attached Thumbnails Track Day-gp-1.jpg   Track Day-gp-2.jpg   Track Day-gp-3.jpg   Track Day-gp-4.jpg   Track Day-gp-5.jpg  

Track Day-gp-6.jpg   Track Day-gp-7.jpg   Track Day-gp-8.jpg   Track Day-gp-9.jpg   Track Day-gp-10.jpg  

Track Day-drag-2.jpg   Track Day-drag-3.jpg   Track Day-drag-6.jpg   Track Day-drag-7.jpg   Track Day-drag-8.jpg  

The following 2 users liked this post by Mike V:
CleverName (11-16-2012), GGG (11-16-2012)
Old 11-16-2012, 06:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Looks like a good time, and a well-attended event. How did the car perform? Did the tires grip well, and did you get them warmed up at all before your run? Is a limited slip diff in your future?

Bruce

Old 11-16-2012, 07:34 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
Looks like a good time, and a well-attended event. How did the car perform? Did the tires grip well, and did you get them warmed up at all before your run? Is a limited slip diff in your future?

Bruce
Hi Bruce,

I'm riding on Hankooks right now and for the small course portion we did get a wam-up lap. During the drag portion I just did a small burnout more to shake any debris loose as I've noticed the Hankkoks get slippery when overly heated. Grip on the course was very good but for the drag strip I think I'd better invest in some Nitto or MT streetdrag radials, it was difficult getting off the line without too much spinage.

I installed the Quaife LSD a couple years ago and finally got to really test it out Sunday. Huge improvement, much more control and it seems to keep the nannies from kicking in so soon. After the event I mosied over to an open piece of airstrip for some fun and I'll tell you pre-LSD it would struggle to come full circle in a donut, post-LSD it was spinning like a top!

P.S. I really enjoy your write-ups at the track events you attend

Old 11-16-2012, 07:48 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike V
Well I entered my first motorcross event last Sunday and thought I'd share some pics with you. Hope you like them...
Mike,

Looks a great day. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Mike V (11-16-2012)
Old 11-16-2012, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Thanks Mike...experiencing a car's performance, and improving it, appeals to me than tinkering with the styling bits. I thought maybe you had added the LSD...now that was a great mod!

Do you not find that the DSC hinders your performance in the course's tight corners when tires slip even a little, or are you more getting aquainted with the LSD on the track now? I would think sliding the rear would help.

Is the suspension stock, and is roll controlled enough for autoX? Any further mods anticipated?

Bruce

Old 11-16-2012, 10:11 AM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

Nice MIke! Looks like a fun time. How did your brakes hold up? I remember going to see a race to Elkhart Lake Road America and they let us take our cars out during a break and I was riding with my buddy in his Viper and he lost brakes as it was toast. Luckily we were able to get back safely. Brake pressure slowly came back. After that, he got some slotted rotors and braided lines. LOL.

BTW....did you beat that Honda in the drag race?

Old 11-16-2012, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

yeah...i want to know who won the drag races!!!

Old 11-16-2012, 03:49 PM
Default Win lose or draw

Thanks for the responses guys...
Bruce yes I still am getting acquianted with the LSD but I did turn everything off (10 sec press) for the track. Driving around town is where I notice the nannies kick in later. Keeping in mind mine's a 2008 with a less sophisticated suspension there was a lot of roll in a hairpin turn so Id like coilovers but I'll try lowering springs as they're alot cheaper. Since the 4.2 does lack some power my next bang for the buck mod will most likely be water meth. I would also like to do an ECU tune since I don't feel I'm getting the most out of the 2.5 pulley and 200 cell cats I've already added.

Hi Ghost, brakes held up like a champ and even seemed to gain bite in the second of five laps! Never felt any fading. I do have the alcon package but I believe Jaguar has well devloped braking systems all around.

The results you ask?
Good in the circuit, average time overall and as my first event I was nervous and cautious.
In the drag we got 3 runs, I ran against the s2000, an evo and a type rs. I was shocked to learn that everyone except for me and a z06 (that i didn't get a chance to race) was running NOS and were equipped with mickey t's or nittos.
The S2000 also had launch control, was all the business and to be honest he smoked me, even though I had a lousy, slippy start he still would've won.
I beat the 4wd, NOS boosted EVO, even though he had me off the line I passed him at about the 100 yd mark and never looked back.
We were using a rally clock rather than a xmas tree so it was a 30 second countdown. The type rs NOS rocket left early at 3 seconds left, I left at 0 dead and never caught up but I did get my best time of 12.78 and he defaulted.

Sorry to keep knocking the NOS but I feel like it's using steroids, great results but kills longevity.

It was a real mix of cars with no categories in the drag racing. The organizers basically said pair up and go and I just accepted any challenge since all I really wanted was to beat my best dynolicious on the highway run of 13.49.

As I said before this was my first event ever, everyone was really down to earth and I am now officially addicted! Regardess of win, lose or draw it's great to see and feel what our rides are capable of.

Special note of pride to all us XK/XKR owners: The Jag was the only one driven to the track as is, raced as is and drove home the same way and well rounded enough to hold it's own in both types of racing (circuit and drag). Most cars were only set up for one or the other.

Last edited by Mike V; 11-16-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:19 PM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

Mike....you should think about getting Killer Chiller or Water/Meth as the superchargers on these cars get heat soak really quickly especially with performance pulleys. I'm planning to do one or the other in the spring. Excessive runs on the dyno robbed horsepower each time on the dynojet.

Last edited by GhostriderXKR08; 11-17-2012 at 01:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mike V (11-17-2012)