Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What to expect when you turn off traction

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts
Default What to expect when you turn off traction

Only being a few weeks into owning the XKR I have yet turned off the traction. Looking at some of the youtube videos I suspect when you get into it you pretty much need to hold on to keep it going straight. I also would like to save the tires a bit but at one point I'm gonna have to pull the trigger and see what it does. For those who have exersized the go peddle with out traction what was your experience.

The following users liked this post:
gjjaguar (06-04-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

You get a much more linear and immediate acceleration out of tight corners without traction control. The Jag traction control is not very good, it basically kills the engine power for, what it feels like seconds, to where you'd think that the engine stalled. Of course, if you are after quick exits or track lap times the traction control will just kill those.

On the other hand, if you turn it off, don't you ever forget that you have 510HP and nearly 500 lbs of torque to play havoc with you if pressing too quickly and too deeply on the go-pedal. I usually say that with high powered cars, you have to treat the gas pedal as if you had fragile eggs between your shoes and the pedal, and keep from breaking those eggs. No serious racing driver would ever want the Jag traction control to be ON but, it could/will save the less skilled drivers from going off the road backwards.

Last edited by axr6; 05-28-2014 at 12:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MaximA (05-27-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

The YouTube videos are a bit over the top. With the traction off on cold tires it can be a handful if not treated with respect. What 500+HP rear drive car isn't? I leave it off on the track and unless you are hard on the throttle which you shouldn't be you will be fine.

On the street I leave it on 95% of the time as I can never be 100% sure of the surface I'm traveling over. I've had it kick in when I least expected it, and every time its due to to much throttle and a rough, wet or dirty surface that I didn't see.

The following 2 users liked this post by MaximA:
axr6 (05-27-2014), gjjaguar (06-04-2014)
Old 05-28-2014, 04:46 AM
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by MaximA
The YouTube videos are a bit over the top. With the traction off on cold tires it can be a handful if not treated with respect. What 500+HP rear drive car isn't? I leave it off on the track and unless you are hard on the throttle which you shouldn't be you will be fine.

On the street I leave it on 95% of the time as I can never be 100% sure of the surface I'm traveling over. I've had it kick in when I least expected it, and every time its due to to much throttle and a rough, wet or dirty surface that I didn't see.
On the tight and narrow streets we have in good old Europe, you wouldn't risk losing control over your car, as trees or oncoming traffic will kick into the back of your car or yourself quickly. If you like drifting trough corners though, turning the control to off is a must, else you'll have no fun at all. Better do that on a track though.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:12 AM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

See above: do your experimenting with plenty of spare room.

I find that the electronic throttle, when in Sport mode, is "overboosted"... its sensitivity/response is increased, with shorter tip-in. This car, especially with a positive-displacement blower, doesn't need that sort of calibration; it actually makes it more difficult to roll into the throttle correctly at the limits of adhesion. I think you can learn this car's sport throttle, but it takes time (and perhaps staying away from your other cars).

So keep that in mind if you turn off the TC, or even if you set it to TracDSC. Stay gentle with the throttle, and induce your oversteer with steering input. Just my opinion, I am not a lawyer, YMMV, professional driver on a closed course, etc. etc.

Rich

Old 05-28-2014, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Remember you assume some responsibility when you choose to play with the TC button.
My example: Traction Control on vs Traction Control off...

Attached Thumbnails What to expect when you turn off traction-traction_on.jpg   What to expect when you turn off traction-traction_off.jpg  
Old 05-28-2014, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

I'd suggest trying it in Trac DSC first. It will let the wheels spin up more than the (pretty brutal) standard DSC, but will still catch you if things start to get too lairy.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

For dear god mate!!!! Dont trash your jag!!!!!!!!

Old 05-29-2014, 11:03 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Only being a few weeks into owning the XKR I have yet turned off the traction. Looking at some of the youtube videos I suspect when you get into it you pretty much need to hold on to keep it going straight. I also would like to save the tires a bit but at one point I'm gonna have to pull the trigger and see what it does. For those who have exersized the go peddle with out traction what was your experience.
Well...Well...Well gentlemen we have to have a little fun every once in a while just to show we all are not just stuffed shirts sporty a british classic! A subtle refined rage! I say let it rip! there's nothing like leaving black lines at the appropriate stop sign! Hey we have enough torque to tenderize an elephant! So from time to time why not experience the thrill and turn carbon dioxide into a symphony of pure noise!!!it's like red bull intravenously pumped into your veins! So take out your naughty kitty out of the litter box find your ribbon of tarmac and step on it! Oh to answer the question my car starts to slide to the right!

Old 05-29-2014, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Gato Negro
Well...Well...Well gentlemen we have to have a little fun every once in a while just to show we all are not just stuffed shirts sporty a british classic! A subtle refined rage! I say let it rip! there's nothing like leaving black lines at the appropriate stop sign! Hey we have enough torque to tenderize an elephant! So from time to time why not experience the thrill and turn carbon dioxide into a symphony of pure noise!!!it's like red bull intravenously pumped into your veins! So take out your naughty kitty out of the litter box find your ribbon of tarmac and step on it! Oh to answer the question my car starts to slide to the right!
HAAHA!!!! I changed my mind after reading this.. TROUNCE IT GOOD!!

Old 05-29-2014, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

I've been enjoy the conversion of hydrocarbons to water & CO2 across Ireland & Wales over the last 2 days. But I kept DSC on - I leave the Trac DSC and DSC off for track driving.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:48 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 717 Posts

driven many a car, for many years, without traction control. in fact, I find traction control counter intuitive to my driving preference... as a result, it is always off.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:44 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

turned it off in my 600hp saleen (live rear axel) ended up in a ditch. never again...stays on!