XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What a piece of sh1t!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 05:07 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What a piece of ****!!

Every mans treasure is someone's trash (or so they say).

Having had a # of flappies, I really think we've got litle to worry about with our flappies; i didn't want to hijack that thread bu' let me say tho' that Porsche have made a bigger mess of the shift on PDK than Jag has).

My 1 month gripe is; the f'ing gear shifter!!!!

For a not insignificantly expensive car the rotary gear shift on my '11 XK-R is really a tatty piece of plastic ****.

i looked into the accessory shifter and its nearly 300 slides (PLUS FITTING); what a joke!!!!!!!.

Have a look at the new '12 XF selector and thats what i'm talking about; well aesthetically anyway (haven't felt it).

Does anyone share the view??

Rant ended.

cheers

Thommo

Last edited by Ha66is; 01-18-2012 at 05:55 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

I don't think I understood more than 30% of this post. Perhaps you would do better writing in your native language Thommo. But that's just me.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:52 AM

The gear selector is very poor quality.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Ha66is

The gear selector is very poor quality.
HA HA HA - sorry but this response just struck me as funny.

I understood your post.

But the 2012 XF Jaguar Drive gear selector is the same as in the other Jaguar models, at least it looks the same.

How is the Jaguar Drive gear selector in the 2011 XKR different than the one in the 2012 XF?

Old 01-18-2012, 04:10 PM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

The shifter knob on my 10 is aluminum. It's VERY cold to the touch right now. Personally, I love the knob. It's very easy to use. And if you drive into a spot, put the parking brake on and push the stop button, it puts the car in park automatically as it shuts down. Very convenient.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:43 PM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

I checked my Evoque and it's aluminum also....or else the plastic looks exactly like aluminum. If the XK has the same shift knob then I don't see what's wrong with it as I think it looks good. I did see the upgrade shift knob that Range Rover has which is the exact one that Jaguars and it just has a leather top piece. Not really worth the upgrade.

Here's what mine looks like on the Rover:
Name:  sn.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  71.1 KB

Old 01-18-2012, 05:48 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Ha66is,

Your point is? Almost no Marque is perfect: if they were, almost none of us could afford to buy one. Even $1million Rolls Royce's & Bentley's are likely to have the odd 'teething' problem.

Perhaps if you were to explain the problem in more comprehensible language, the Forum may have some answers to whatever that problem is.

And for the record, i suggest that you have a look at some other forums before dismissing the Jag as absolute junk on the basis of one defect that you don't like. The following is an extract from a Mercedes Benz Forum together with the ip address if you wish the three pages it was extracted from. I can tell you that this isn't the only model that they have troubles with, even today. Count your blessings!

steve newell writes:
I have owned a 1998 and 2003 sl500. The 2003 was fully loaded with lorinser package. A $125,000 piece of junk. Car looked gorgeous but MB didn't back it up. Had front end problems from day one and never could get fixed. I spent 1 1/2 years complaining until I just gave up. I traded it in for a loss on a 2007 XK Jaguar. The new Jaguar is the best car I've ever owned. Great ride, lots of fun for less money. Good luck to all who still are stubborn enough to own a Mercedes Benz!!!

Mercedes Benz SL Class Lemon Problems?

Cheers,

Languid

The following users liked this post:
Brutal (01-18-2012)
Old 01-18-2012, 06:06 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Languid, I love you man
I ALMOST dreaded reading your post... ALMOST
Glad I did, I know youve got lots of great info to share, glad it wasnt so flavored. CHEERS
Buddy

Languid (01-18-2012)
Old 01-18-2012, 06:39 PM
Default Languid

Brutal,

I think it was Tarhealcracker who wrote that he thought that you & I weren't that far apart on our views. It's probably that I don't feel quite so restrained because I don't work for a Dealer. I'm getting too old to be bothered with 'pulling my punches', and I have spent much much more of my working life dealing with all kinds of people from all over, which is why I don't hold back much.

And it's not just Motor Vehicle Dealers/Distributors that I hone my axe for. I'm a political 'thorn', the son of a man who went to war because he believed in the Rights of the Individual, an Atheist who believed in "the Golden Rule". I guess you could say that I am "A Chip off the Old Block". Xk82 hasn't got me right, everybody makes mistakes, including myself (probably particularly myself!) and all I expect of them is that when they do, own up & help provide a solution. I think the worst thing that dealerships' do is to make up & tell any old story that they can 'spout' in order to dodge the problem & the responsibility. It's that type of 'holier than thou' attitude which gets my blood boiling faster than almost anything else, even when it's done to others that I don't even know. Every man jack of us is entitled to honesty and equality. Respect is a privelege that has to be earned, not a 'right', not even for our Queen, Prime Minister, or 'Local Cop'. Unfortunately far too many think that the power of their position gives them the right without earning it, and far too many dealerships that I personally have experienced in 67 years (not just cars, all kinds of products) have displayed that attitude.

So please, forgive me if I appear to be 'dealerbashing' at times. Strictly speaking it isn't personal for the most part, it's just being candid.

Cheers Mate,

Languid

Old 01-18-2012, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

My 2010 has what I believe is an aluminum shifter as well. It's well-weighted and has a substantial and high quality feel to it. I wonder if they changed suppliers for 2011. Maybe they did that with the paddle shifters as well because I've used mine and didn't find them lacking at all. Check with the dealer to see if they changed for 2011, and consider swapping to the 2010 version if they did.

Bruce

Old 01-18-2012, 06:45 PM
Default p.s.

The rest of the problem is that I can usually spot the BS as it is coming out, and that generally lines the 'spouter' up for a whack with a shovel immediately!

Cheers,

Languid

Old 01-18-2012, 08:13 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by Languid
Brutal,

I think it was Tarhealcracker who wrote that he thought that you & I weren't that far apart on our views. It's probably that I don't feel quite so restrained because I don't work for a Dealer. I'm getting too old to be bothered with 'pulling my punches', and I have spent much much more of my working life dealing with all kinds of people from all over, which is why I don't hold back much.

And it's not just Motor Vehicle Dealers/Distributors that I hone my axe for. I'm a political 'thorn', the son of a man who went to war because he believed in the Rights of the Individual, an Atheist who believed in "the Golden Rule". I guess you could say that I am "A Chip off the Old Block". Xk82 hasn't got me right, everybody makes mistakes, including myself (probably particularly myself!) and all I expect of them is that when they do, own up & help provide a solution. I think the worst thing that dealerships' do is to make up & tell any old story that they can 'spout' in order to dodge the problem & the responsibility. It's that type of 'holier than thou' attitude which gets my blood boiling faster than almost anything else, even when it's done to others that I don't even know. Every man jack of us is entitled to honesty and equality. Respect is a privelege that has to be earned, not a 'right', not even for our Queen, Prime Minister, or 'Local Cop'. Unfortunately far too many think that the power of their position gives them the right without earning it, and far too many dealerships that I personally have experienced in 67 years (not just cars, all kinds of products) have displayed that attitude.

So please, forgive me if I appear to be 'dealerbashing' at times. Strictly speaking it isn't personal for the most part, it's just being candid.

Cheers Mate,

Languid
lol, I sling it too, XJRguy and I both work at dealers. And we both call BS when when see it from all. Dealers, indies, and individuals. We just did this in the paddle shifter thread.about again another Florida dealer. (must be in the water)Ive helped indies here too with Pms on fixing issues too as well and owners. You know who sues attorneys? other attorneys. Yes we all do make mistakes. I made one yesturday
I just like the forum to not be a random bash. Yes alittle here and there we all do. There are many good tech both at dealers and indies, and knowledgable and capable owners. But even more bad ones Im sure than good. So anyway moving right along, lets get back to calling the spades spades mate and helping each other

Old 01-18-2012, 08:40 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I specifically did not buy a new XF or a 2010 or later XK because of the gear selector. I want a lever in the console, not a knob stolen from the set of Star Trek where it usually adjusts the warp core.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:57 PM

I'll drink to that! Just got back from the Vet with my beautiful little Heide the Husky. she was 13 months old & horribly abused when I got her, she is now 13 years old and has a pretty large lump on her liver, probably a cancer, and I know that soon I will have to have her put to sleep. Poor little mite. Still, she's had 12 reasonably luxurious years (I'm just the Butler around here), and none of us get out of this place alive!

Cheers,

Languid

Old 01-19-2012, 04:30 AM

Ok, woah, wow, you guys are tough!! Thought this was friendly forum.

I can't actually recall or decipher from my post that I was dismissing the Jag as a piece of junk.

I got home, scanned the forum and picked up on the thread about the paddles.

So, I think somewhere between,

"bugger me, get some context, 1st world problems or what?"

and

"ok so were nit picking here (because as Jag owners maybe its ok to nit pick), ill toss my tuppence worth in to see if anyone agrees".

That’s simply it!

Can you imagine what your average Aussie battler would think of a bunch of guys prattling on about their paddles and gear shifters in our Jaguars? So, I kinda thought I was in decent company.

Also if you read it, I pointed out that the 911's PDK shift is a terrible set-up; interesting that I've been perceived to slag off the whole car whilst positively comparing it (the Jag) to the worlds most iconic sportscar, which is probably the best resolved package out there.

FWIW, I think the selector (and I'm talking material quality not functionality here) is rubbish; the one on my vogue and the pictures of XFs that I've seen look substantially better.

My language - well it seems that some people got it but I’ll concede it may not be the best of grammar/ structure/ punctuation, but bugger me, we're on a forum, didn't realise we were in school.

Mr Tarhealcracker observed and commented in what I perceived to be a light hearted fashion; I responded with a 1-liner with a view to brevity and disambiguation.

Mr rscultho thought that was funny; actually I did too having read my 1st post.

Mr rahtok 'big upped' the functionality; with that I have no gripe, I like it too; jeez I like it a lot.

Mr Ghostrider also chimed in; picking up on the upgrade accessory aspect of my non coherent post.

Mr Languid, you've elected to come in over the top so to speak. You've finished with 'count your blessings'; well let me be very clear chap; I work my touché off to drive the cars I do; last thing need is someone counseling me on my good fortune. As to Benz; who cares; I really couldn't give a tinkers cuss; this is a Jaguar forum. And yes, I’ve owned one so I could compare if I wanted too; but I won't because there’s no point.

Try owning a TVR Cerbera through Scottish winters; just making it to March' will have you counting your bloody blessings old boy.

I’ve owned countless premium cars and the only valid point you make IMHO is that none are perfect; which if you read my post is all I’m saying.

For a not insignificantly expensive car the rotary gear shift on my '11 XK-R is really a tatty piece of plastic ****.

I kinda lost the rest of the thread as its morphed into some kind of mutual appreciation society about slingin’ it and axe honing.

I cant cohere if I’m the ‘spouter’ or whether you think I’ve lined myself up for a whack with a shovel; I don’t know if that’s me or some reference to another thread.

I cant see how my wee dalliance of a post is a random bash; its just an opinion me ol’ mate; seems you’ve got plenty; you have a reputation (it would seem) for airing your views

And for the record; on my ’11 XK-R (which is amongst the best packaged cars I’ve ever owned) I think the material on the gear selector is rubbish.

Go get a XXXX into you and relax chap.

Hope your dog gets better or doesn't suffer too much, peace.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Keep it nicey nice fellas'.

Subscribed

JimC64 (01-19-2012)
Old 01-19-2012, 12:08 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Why do people buy Cars any Car and then spend the rest of the time complaining. There is no perfect car but I love my Jag

Old 01-19-2012, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by dd823
Why do people buy Cars any Car and then spend the rest of the time complaining.
I'm confused. I've posted 18 times (this is my 19th). I've 'complained' once ~5.55% of posts. Actually I voiced an opinion, if i wanted to complain, I'd have written to Jag; not posted on a forum, an environment that i thought was exactly for voicing opinion. I've hardly spent the rest of my time complaining.

Originally Posted by dd823
There is no perfect car but I love my Jag
Read above, so do I.

Last edited by Ha66is; 01-19-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts
Talking

I have too much free time on my hands. I admit it. After following this thread for the last few days I've come to realize there are a lot more like me than I ever imagined. Even if they aren't as pretty.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Ha66is
I'm confused. I've posted 18 times (this is my 19th). I've 'complained' once ~5.55% of posts.
You posted this in my thread...

"You might not be an XK/XKR match if you expect the switchgear to reflect the overall quality of the car; especially the gear selector, its a rubbish, cheap *** plastic piece of garbage."

I'm hoping to closely examine a 2011 to see just how bad they are that someone would condemn them so forcefully. The 2010 switchgear seems very good, and it's disturbing to learn it went all to heck the following year. Perhaps other 2011 owners will chime in with their findings.

Bruce

Quick Reply: What a piece of sh1t!!