XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Where are the gauges

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts
Default Where are the gauges

OK I give up is there any other gauges other then the speedo and tach. I've been use to having oil pressure , water temp , oil temp and volt gauge but I don't see this anywhere on the cluster. Is there a set on the Nav screen that I haven't seen or are there no gauges. Just trying to get educated.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
OK I give up is there any other gauges other then the speedo and tach. I've been use to having oil pressure , water temp , oil temp and volt gauge but I don't see this anywhere on the cluster. Is there a set on the Nav screen that I haven't seen or are there no gauges. Just trying to get educated.
Jag:

I certainly miss those gauges also. My Porsche has great digital gauges and information, which I don't see or can't find on my XKR. My 2014 Porsche Cayman even provides a digital readout on G Forces.

Jaguar is really lacking on this issue.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

No gauges other than speedo and tach. I too was disappointed but the car still looks outstanding. That's the tradeoff.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

I have gotten over that as time went by, but I do have a bluetooth OBD dongle on mine so I can check some of the vitals when I need to...
What will kill me is when I get a car that has no dip-stick!

V

Old 02-10-2014, 10:26 PM
Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
Default R U kidding?

I actually sat i my car and noticed there were only 2 gauges befor I bought it. I never thought to ask myself or anyone else wherer the other gauges were at. This ranks right up there with the comment that mayb shrink wrap traps water in stead of repelling it. I placed the thread that I shrink wrap everything due to open connectors and wires. Plain and simple to keep wires from exposure. How bout we have an adult discussion on the following; To what extent must airflow turbulence be increased if the muffler box is dropped from a 13 xkr and straight pipes are run . If the pipes are increased to 2.5" from the standard size, will 1.75" perforated restrictors not only increase turbulence and back pressure and will they change the sound, without causing backfiring or poppingg, as opposed to screw shaped restrictors that are similar to a rotary screw compressor? Any mechanical engineers out there that can answer a legit question about xkr's?

Last edited by SoCal Babe; 02-10-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SoCal Babe
I actually sat i my car and noticed there were only 2 gauges befor I bought it. I never thought to ask myself or anyone else wherer the other gauges were at. This ranks right up there with the comment that mayb shrink wrap traps water in stead of repelling it. I placed the thread that I shrink wrap everything due to open connectors and wires. Plain and simple to keep wires from exposure. How bout we have an adult discussion on the following; To what extent must airflow turbulence be increased if the muffler box is dropped from a 13 xkr and straight pipes are run . If the pipes are increased to 2.5" from the standard size, will 1.75" perforated restrictors not only increase turbulence and back pressure and will they change the sound, without causing backfiring or poppingg. Any mechanical engineers out there that can answer a legit question about xkr's?
Did you graduate from Harvard? or MIT?

Old 02-10-2014, 10:35 PM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

I was lost at "adult conversation".

Old 02-10-2014, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ndy.boyd
I was lost at "adult conversation".

I undersatnd that one, especially from a "SoCalBabe".

We just don't get many of them around these forums.

After that post, I wonder what her "pillow talk" is about.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:12 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

It also needs more buttons. I miss gauges and buttons.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:14 AM
Default PIllow talk

Originally Posted by richzak
I undersatnd that one, especially from a "SoCalBabe".

We just don't get many of them around these forums.

After that post, I wonder what her "pillow talk" is about.
How bout u make a legit post. If u cant tell there were only 2 gauges bfore u bought the car u need Aricept or Namenda. Back to my question; What about the turbulence in the pipe. Mayb u need to go sit back at the kiddie table and let the adults talk for a while

Old 02-11-2014, 01:06 AM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

...soooo odd.

But, everyone benefits from a good non sequitur from time to time.

Rich

Old 02-11-2014, 05:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

This ranks right up there with the comment that mayb shrink wrap traps water in stead of repelling it
Umm - sorry, what? I have had precisely this problem with cabling (not automotive) in the past. Heat-shrink is good for sealing single wires & small connectors, but its primary purpose is electrical insulation, not waterproofing. When used on a wiring loom, it cannot seal the gaps between the wires in the bundle. This means that it is not fully effective as waterproofing; it may be OK as 'splash protection' for occasional exposure, but where water is regularly able to run down the wires, it will get into the connector.

Worse, when water gets in, it can pool inside the wrapping, staying in contact with the connector for longer and thus promoting corrosion. I have had connectors inside a cabinet that look fine, all neatly sleeved, but water has come in via a poorly sealed grommet, run down the wire bundle, and caused them to 'rot' inside the heat-shrink.

Silicone sealant is much more effective, but it is messy to apply and can deteriorate over time. Good positioning of the connector, so that water runs away from it rather than into it, helps considerably.

Sorry for the thread hijack, jagtoes.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:19 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

How bout u make a legit post. If u cant tell there were only 2 gauges bfore u bought the car u need Aricept or Namenda. Back to my question; What about the turbulence in the pipe. Mayb u need to go sit back at the kiddie table and let the adults talk for a while
I've been on this forum now for about three months and have been beyond impressed with the incredible willingness of members to provide assistance and share knowledge on technical and other issues. Until your post, I don't recall seeing one word of anger, or even sarcasm, other than in jest. This is why your post is so puzzling. There doesn't appear to be anything that motivated your outburst, so I can only smile at the irony of your suggestion to another member that he consider the use of medication used to treat a mental disorder.

Irony, indeed.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:22 AM
Default Shrink wrap

Originally Posted by Ngarara
Umm - sorry, what? I have had precisely this problem with cabling (not automotive) in the past. Heat-shrink is good for sealing single wires & small connectors, but its primary purpose is electrical insulation, not waterproofing. When used on a wiring loom, it cannot seal the gaps between the wires in the bundle. This means that it is not fully effective as waterproofing; it may be OK as 'splash protection' for occasional exposure, but where water is regularly able to run down the wires, it will get into the connector.

Worse, when water gets in, it can pool inside the wrapping, staying in contact with the connector for longer and thus promoting corrosion. I have had connectors inside a cabinet that look fine, all neatly sleeved, but water has come in via a poorly sealed grommet, run down the wire bundle, and caused them to 'rot' inside the heat-shrink.

Silicone sealant is much more effective, but it is messy to apply and can deteriorate over time. Good positioning of the connector, so that water runs away from it rather than into it, helps considerably.

Sorry for the thread hijack, jagtoes.
I appreciated your post about the shrink wrap problem. My post wasnt directed towards that post but towards the individual that found a problem with shrink wrap in general and felt it was a bigger problem than leaving wires bare completely

The following users liked this post:
Ngarara (02-11-2014)
Old 02-11-2014, 05:27 AM
Default Comment

Originally Posted by ndy.boyd
I've been on this forum now for about three months and have been beyond impressed with the incredible willingness of members to provide assistance and share knowledge on technical and other issues. Until your post, I don't recall seeing one word of anger, or even sarcasm, other than in jest. This is why your post is so puzzling. There doesn't appear to be anything that motivated your outburst, so I can only smile at the irony of your suggestion to another member that he consider the use of medication used to treat a mental disorder.

Irony, indeed.
Mayb the "pillow talk" comment shouldnt have been made by rich then. No anger on my part. Just amazement that someone can own a car and ask a question such as where are the gauges. Back to my question about back pressure and turbulence in straight pipes, with a restrictor. Could u please answer that?

Old 02-11-2014, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Just amazement that someone can own a car and ask a question such as where are the gauges.
Actually, there are a few performance vehicles now that have no conventional gauges, e.g. the GT-R. However, they can be called up as virtual devices when required - you can get water/oil/transmission temps, boost levels, g-meter, etc. on the central touchscreen. So, it's not entirely unreasonable to assume that the same would be true in the XK. Unfortunately, the only XK gauge that you can activate is an oil-level one, which I think is a pretty poor effort.

Back to my question about back pressure and turbulence in straight pipes, with a restrictor. Could u please answer that?
Might pay to ask that in a new thread, to get the attention of those with the knowledge. Like most of the forum members, I'm not an engineer, just an enthusiastic amateur. All I can tell you is that I haven't seen any straight-through cat-back systems for the 5.0. Miltek, Mina, Quicksilver - they all have a muffler somewhere. But, since I'm not a modder, I haven't researched it thoroughly.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Just a simple question which I wouldn't think would turn in a different direction. As I am still in the search and have not driven an XKR the various pictures I have seen did not show any gauges. I did not know if there was a screen shot of a gauge cluster on the Nav. screen but was just asking. Hopefully this post will stay on topic and the other topic could go to a new post. Also is it fair to assume you can get the values of OP , WT , OT and Volts by going through the OBDII port using SW that reads this info?

Last edited by jagtoes; 02-11-2014 at 07:23 AM.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Back to the main subject: some of us remember the wonderful gauge sets on MGs and E Types with lots of toggle/rocker switches. Made us feel like Spitfire pilots, race car drivers or dudes who really knew something about machinery.

agentorange (02-11-2014)
Old 02-11-2014, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Just a simple question which I wouldn't think would turn in a different direction. As I am still in the search and have not driven an XKR the various pictures I have seen did not show any gauges. I did not know if there was a screen shot of a gauge cluster on the Nav. screen but was just asking. Hopefully this post will stay on topic and the other topic could go to a new post. Also is it fair to assume you can get the values of OP , WT , OT and Volts by going through the OBDII port using SW that reads this info?
Jagtoes:

We just have the basic gauges. I am not sure about the OBDII. It would be awefully nice however to have allot more data to the driver/owner.

And yes, I agree, lets stay on the topic of gauges.

Just a thought....for all:

I think for many of us here on the forums, we can gauge credibilty of the posters who are inclined to post comments, help others, and provide opinions.

While the forum is here to be informative and helpful, we all need to have a little fun every once in a while.

The members are great. Lets keep the posts in a positive light, and not degrade any other members posts.

Perhaps new members to the forum will realize that criticism and sarcasm is NOT the way to make friends here.

Last edited by richzak; 02-11-2014 at 07:37 AM.
muncher (02-11-2014)
Old 02-11-2014, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

I am going to touch only on the two topics (of the many in this thread) that I know something about:

1. If you want a watertight heatshrink connection you need to use special adhesive lined heatshrink such as: 3:1 Adhesive Heat Shrink Tubing - Dual Wall, Polyolefin

2. It should be possible to add gauges to the video screen using this product:
https://plxdevices.com/product_info.php?id=GSST2WIFI. If you dedicate an old deactivated used iphone with a composite video adapter (Apple Composite AV Cable - Apple Store (U.S.)) and a GVIF interface (GVIF Interface for Lexus/Toyota/Land Rover/Cadillac/Jaguar) you should be able to drive the factory screen.
The PLX device is far better than a simple Bluetooth OBDII dongle because it allows you to add extra sensors, such as for boost and oil pressure which are not already in the vehicle.

I did something similar a few years ago on my 2001 XKR with a device called the HKS CAMP 2 (see https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...raffic-49241/?) but this unfortunately is no longer in production.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 02-11-2014 at 09:12 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
Muddydog (02-11-2014), muncher (02-11-2014)

Quick Reply: Where are the gauges