Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Where is the low oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts
Default Where is the low oil pressure

I assume there is a low oil pressure warning sensor so does anyone know where it is located on the 5.0L engine. Has anyone mounted an aftermarket sending unit and installed a gauge in the engine compartment.Also with all of the technology out there I have yet to find a BT oil pressure sending unit and Gauge which would allow for wireless installation. Just thinking out loud here.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:57 PM
Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts

I wish I knew. Just chiming in to keep the thread viable.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

The oil level & temp sensor for the 5.0 is in the sump pan. The level sensor uses ultrasound to measure the depth of oil in the sump. I can't see any oil pressure sensor.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ngarara
The oil level & temp sensor for the 5.0 is in the sump pan. The level sensor uses ultrasound to measure the depth of oil in the sump. I can't see any oil pressure sensor.
OK , thanks and makes sense in determining the quantity of oil in the sump. I was assuming there would be a low oil pressure switch somewhere which would trigger a warning light when oil pressure was below say 5-8 psi. I don't know if Jag uses this type of switch but I would have assumed that there was something similar in the system. In most cars it is located either in the block near the oil filter or in the oil filter housing. In my old Ferrari it was in the oil filter mount and I had to modify some fittings to place a gauge to verify the accuracy of my electric gauge (see Pic.). I was considering doing the same on the Jag.

Attached Thumbnails Where is the low oil pressure-dsc00024.jpg  
Old 03-23-2015, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

The way the workshop manual says to measure the oil pressure is to remove the oil filter and add a special tool (Oil filter adapter number 303-1451), which looks like a standard oil filter cover but has a threaded extension for a pressure gauge. Perhaps you could fit one of those permanently.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

The way the workshop manual says to measure the oil pressure is to remove the oil filter and add a special tool (Oil filter adapter number 303-1451), which looks like a standard oil filter cover but has a threaded extension for a pressure gauge. Perhaps you could fit one of those permanently.
Very interesting . Is there a filter in this adapter or is it a machined part that is installed , then engine run and then removed. So then there is no low/no oil pressure switch on the motor. Is there a picture of this by any chance. Thanks for the info.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

I cannot see anything on the 5.0 wiring diagrams, nor in the workshop manual, relating to oil pressure sensing. There's an oil pressure sensor on the 4.2 engines, but not the 5.0. Here's a picture of the special filter housing - I believe it takes the normal filter element:

Where is the low oil pressure-screen-shot-2015-03-23-17.16.08.jpg

Old 03-23-2015, 12:37 PM

Thanks for the information on the oil pressure testing tool. There may also be a threaded plug leading to an oil gallery somewhere. Thought I heard it was on the cylinder head having something to do with the oil feeding the variable camshaft system.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member

The VCT system does use pressurised oil, but I can't see any plugs on any of the exploded diagrams of the block, heads or VCT unit. That doesn't mean there aren't any.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member

I cannot see anything on the 5.0 wiring diagrams, nor in the workshop manual, relating to oil pressure sensing. There's an oil pressure sensor on the 4.2 engines, but not the 5.0. Here's a picture of the special filter housing - I believe it takes the normal filter element:

Attachment 108530
OK thanks for the picture. From what I can see and I will speculate but my bet is the filter does not go inside this adapter. It most likely has a tube with a seal that fits into where the filter goes . This would be a temporary attachment to verify oil pressure. It looks like there is large threads on the front which screws into the same place where the filter canister screws in. When I go to the dealer next month for TSB updates I'll ask to see if they have one and what it looks like. I'll also ask if there is another place that has a fitting or sensor into the main oil galley.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member

I think the adapter does take the filter, otherwise the pressure would be different than with the filter in place. Here are the steps:

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable
  2. Remove the engine oil filter element
  3. Install the oil filter element into special tool (Oil filter adapter number 303-1451)
  4. Install the special tool (Oil filter adapter number 303-1451) to the engine. Torque: 25 Nm
  5. Install the special tool (Oil pressure testing gauge, 303-871) and tighten the union
  6. Connect the battery ground cable
  7. Check and top-up the engine oil if required
  8. Start and run the engine
  9. ...

The following users liked this post:
jagtoes (03-23-2015)
Old 03-23-2015, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Does the owners manual reference a low oil pressure warning?

If so, it has to have a sensor somewhere.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member

Nope, nothing in the owner's manual about oil pressure, only oil level. I'm pretty sure there's no sensor on the 5.0 engine, though a loss of oil pressure might be detected by other systems that rely on it.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
Does the owners manual reference a low oil pressure warning?

If so, it has to have a sensor somewhere.

The truly informed Jaguar aficionado would have read the post from last year. An MIT engineer installed an avionics oil pressure transducer that transmitted via telemetry to a OBD link MX bluetooth. This allowed real time oil pressure readings

The transducer was placed in one of 2 access ports on the back of the engine, on the bottom on either side. either port can be drilled and tapped. My car, 2013xkr is tapped on the passenger's side.

Raytheon and a host of other companies make this tranducer at a variety of prices. Informed individuals can find these products in any aviation magazine that sells avioncs bay equipment.

ANd btw the oil sensor on the back right of the engine can't be tapped for pressure readings,

Last edited by Idontweardepends; 03-23-2015 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by idontweardepends
the truly informed jaguar aficionado would have read the post from last year. An mit engineer installed an avionics oil pressure transducer that transmitted via telemetry to a obd link mx bluetooth. This allowed real time oil pressure readings

the transducer was placed in one of 2 access ports on the back of the engine, on the bottom on either side. Either port can be drilled and tapped. My car is tapped on the passenger's side.

Raytheon and a host of other companies make this tranducer at a variety of prices. Informed individuals can find these products in any aviation magazine that sells avioncs bay equipment.

And btw the oil sensor on the back right of the engine can't be tapped for pressure readings,
lmao

Old 03-23-2015, 09:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Attachment 108530

oil sensing unit on the back passengers side for 5.0 s/c

Old 03-23-2015, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Idontweardepends
The truly informed Jaguar aficionado would have read the post from last year. An MIT engineer installed an avionics oil pressure transducer that transmitted via telemetry to a OBD link MX bluetooth. This allowed real time oil pressure readings

The transducer was placed in one of 2 access ports on the back of the engine, on the bottom on either side. either port can be drilled and tapped. My car, 2013xkr is tapped on the passenger's side.

ANd btw the oil sensor on the back right of the engine can't be tapped for pressure readings,
A fellow Jaguar owner would share the application with specifics to the form therefore enhancing the data experience for all . Maybe some pictures of the installation would be useful to the group.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member

The truly informed Jaguar aficionado would have read the post from last year.
Well first, I am not a "Jaguar aficionado", truly informed or not.

Maybe you are, or you're still trying to find your nirvana

from https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ttings-138846/
I noticed that no one has responded. is their a chat room or site that has drivers/ mechanics that work on their vehicles and understand subtle nuances of owning a car?

An MIT engineer installed an avionics oil pressure transducer that transmitted via telemetry to a OBD link MX bluetooth. This allowed real time oil pressure readings
I somehow doubt that avionics transducers are readable by an OBDLINK MX
without some fancy footwork.

And if an avionics transducer can be fitted, so can a conventional automotive
transducer.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
A fellow Jaguar owner would share the application with specifics to the form therefore enhancing the data experience for all . Maybe some pictures of the installation would be useful to the group.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ttings-138846/

He didn't want to share which tunes did not work for him either.
However, he did want to be told which tune would work.

Seems like Quid Pro Quo is not part of contemporary mores.

No matter, we have Moscow Leaper on the case.

Last edited by plums; 03-23-2015 at 09:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jagtoes (03-24-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member

oil sensing unit on the back passengers side for 5.0 s/c
The only oil sensor of any kind shown in the workshop manual & electrical diagrams is the oil temperature and level sensor, which is located in the sump on both NA & SC engines. Obviously, as the sump isn't pressurised, that area is of no value for obtaining a pressure reading.

If you have knowledge of another sensor and its location, can you provide further detail or a picture?

Quick Reply: Where is the low oil pressure