XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

who really builds it

Old 06-02-2014, 08:54 PM
Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts
Default who really builds it

So who really builds the 5.0 engines? Ive got my '10 up on the lift doing some work and also some inspection, and I see FoMoCo stamped more than I do Jaguar! (yes, I know the relationship and the whole story, yada yada)

But my real question is, and maybe I havent searched enough, but isnt it a little too fishy that its a 5.0L that says Ford all over it? So, what aftermarket Ford parts has anyone found to work on the '10 and up XKR engine/transmissions?

The following 2 users liked this post by bigdhenderson:
MaximA (06-03-2014), mosesbotbol (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

My hunch is the Ford is just the contract manufacturer and it's all Jaguar/Ford design.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
My hunch is the Ford is just the contract manufacturer and it's all Jaguar/Ford design.
Keep in mind that Ford Motor Co sold Jaguar/Land Rover to Tata Motors of India in 2008.

Keep in mind that there was not much change in chassis design or body work from 2007 to 2013.

Thus, it is not unlikely that everyone will see FoMoCo on parts within their own Jaguars. I am quite sure that a surplus of FoCoMo parts were available to Tata after they acquired the brand. Tata (Jaguar) would become the owner of those surplus parts so why not use them.

As for the engines, I am under the impression that they are assembled by Jaguar in a separate factory in the UK. As for the components of the engine, I am sure that several parts and internals are outsourced for Jaguar.

It's still a Jaguar, and really if FoCoMo bothers you, what's your thoughts and ideas of the Jaguar and Land Rover brands being owned by an Indian corportion.

I have learned that my under the hood plastic fasteners that hold down most of the plastic covers around the engine are FoMoCo parts and actually were ordered from the Lincoln brand and part number. So I guess we have a little bit of Lincoln in the Jags.

Don't let the small stuff get to you. It still took 2 weeks to build your Jaguar, 60% robotics and 40% hand built. I had a 2012 Chevrolet Camaro RS built for me in Canada, and it only took 1 day to build it.

The following users liked this post:
MaximA (06-03-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,539 Likes on 1,411 Posts

After pulling the 5.0L engine out from the 2010 XKR that I just bought, both my mechanic and I were quite surprised to see the FoMoCo on every part of the engine including the block. So, obviously Ford still plays a major role in Jaguar's existence even under Tata.

Last edited by tberg; 06-03-2014 at 07:29 AM.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by richzak
Keep in mind that Ford Motor Co sold Jaguar/Land Rover to Tata Motors of India in 2008.

Keep in mind that there was not much change in chassis design or body work from 2007 to 2013.

Thus, it is not unlikely that everyone will see FoMoCo on parts within their own Jaguars. I am quite sure that a surplus of FoCoMo parts were available to Tata after they acquired the brand. Tata (Jaguar) would become the owner of those surplus parts so why not use them.

As for the engines, I am under the impression that they are assembled by Jaguar in a separate factory in the UK. As for the components of the engine, I am sure that several parts and internals are outsourced for Jaguar.

It's still a Jaguar, and really if FoCoMo bothers you, what's your thoughts and ideas of the Jaguar and Land Rover brands being owned by an Indian corportion.

I have learned that my under the hood plastic fasteners that hold down most of the plastic covers around the engine are FoMoCo parts and actually were ordered from the Lincoln brand and part number. So I guess we have a little bit of Lincoln in the Jags.

Don't let the small stuff get to you. It still took 2 weeks to build your Jaguar, 60% robotics and 40% hand built. I had a 2012 Chevrolet Camaro RS built for me in Canada, and it only took 1 day to build it.

Actually, the relationship with Ford was a major deciding factor into buying the XKR. I couldnt find an American "supercar" that I liked, and Ive always liked Ford (especially Lincoln) but unfortunately at this point in my life I cant afford my dream car, the Ford GT.

Anywho, the purpose of this thread was really to find out if anyone has had any successful aftermarket, or even OEM parts that work on the Jag whether it be for upgrade or repair/replacement.

Attached Thumbnails who really builds it-20140523_204907_zpsd8sifdml.jpg  
Old 06-02-2014, 10:56 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

The engines are made in the Ford Bridgend engine plant, in a separate room, for JLR.

So "made by Ford" but "engineered by Jaguar" but it's not actually a Ford engine and you won't find any aftermarket parts to suit.

Lots of parts are sourced in the Ford supply chain, and will be for a while yet.

My Land Rover has a Volvo engine, and the ECU file is written by Volvo, it was part of the family at that time. Don't let it get to you...

MaximA (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 06:03 AM

Dont let what get to me? The curiosity of parts interchangeability?

Old 06-03-2014, 06:14 AM

That there is no parts interchangeability...

Old 06-03-2014, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Cambo351
That there is no parts interchangeability...
As stated by other members, some parts like fasteners are actually ordered as Ford/Lincoln part numbers, so there IS some interchangeability. Im wondering what else could, for a multitude of reasons.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:17 AM
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Actually Ford saved Jaguar and built it to what was when sold to Tata. In fact Ford fixed the problems at Jag upgraded and then sold it for what they paid for it. The Jaguar brand is Jag made in England, yes 2 weeks to build, but it is a JAGUAR. If one had researched the brand, all this and Fords input after the sale would of been found out. Research before buying.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

If one were to study the history of American block castings, you would quickly come to realize much of the preexisting cast is still used, with only minor changes to the molds themselves. I have "lineage" charts showing the big three continuously reused casts with minor deck , bore and accessory mount point changes for an easy 10 to 15 years of production run, providing a vast array of displacements and power outputs, all born from a cast made over a decade earlier.
Knowing that, it is theoretical that the Jag 5.0 could retain many Ford underpinnings... Wouldn't it be great to find the water pump has a Ford equiv, or maybe the oil pump with Ford motorsport parts?

I think the OP's question is not only valid, but interesting from the technical side as well.

The following 2 users liked this post by CleverName:
bigdhenderson (06-03-2014), DGL (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

This is something I've wondered about as well. If you do some digging on information on our engines the block has been used by Ford. I have to go back and find where I read this but if thats the case a few other parts may be as well. Or I may be totally wrong, as it may be a base Ford block modified per jaguars specs.

This happens a lot in the supercar world where a builder will go to BMW or Mercedes and have them build an engine to their specs. It may still be badged a Merc or BMW but can be quite different internally.

bigdhenderson (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

There is something about blocks that makes them VERY long lived. They're tweaked in many ways yet also in many ways the same. I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it. Plus, creating a new one from scratch can be horrifically costly so who'd do it unless there was a really desperate need.

Talking of other-label parts, look in an Aston Martin...

Old 06-03-2014, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by beh2010
Actually Ford saved Jaguar and built it to what was when sold to Tata. In fact Ford fixed the problems at Jag upgraded and then sold it for what they paid for it. The Jaguar brand is Jag made in England, yes 2 weeks to build, but it is a JAGUAR. If one had researched the brand, all this and Fords input after the sale would of been found out. Research before buying.
Same way they are saving Lincoln? Ford should have no business owning a luxury car brand, as they have no idea on how to manage it.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Jaguar needed substantial investment, both to bring out up-to-date product lines and also to modernise production facilities - and it simply couldn't raise the money. If Ford hadn't stepped in, I suspect Jaguar would have gone the way of Rover: passed around various vultures until it was dismembered and the scraps sold to China.

Having access to the FoMoCo parts bin was a big plus - Ford's massive buying power meant that commodity items were much cheaper than for a low-volume manufacturer like Jag. And, let's be honest, a bolt, fastener, relay, whatever, of a particular specification is the same whether it's attached to a Lincoln or a Jag. It's not like luxury carmakers specify hardware made of unobtainium.

When Ford got into trouble and had to sell off the family silver, it was not a brilliant time to be selling anything, and they really had to make the JLR deal attractive. That is why the agreement with Tata included substantial on-going support from Ford, which is still in place today. And of course, Ford is still making money out of supplying components - no reason to cut off a revenue stream.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

The 5.0 L is not based on any Ford engine. It is a modified Jaguar AJ engine. Jaguar designed this 8 cylinder engine before Ford purchased Jaguar. They did not have the money to put it into production and it was shelved until the Ford purchase.

Here is the time line and all the variations used in Land Rover/Lincoln/Jaguar models.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_AJ-V8_engine

The XF still shares a huge amount with the Lincoln LS/Jaguar S Type. From underneath and the engine compartment the similarities are very obvious.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I just read an article in Hemmings about Ford making an anniversary Mustang for 2015. They will produce 1,964 units and they will be equipped with their 5.0L V8 with 460 HP and 390Lb. Ft torque. It would be interesting to see if the Ford engine team cross talked with the Jaguar engine team when Ford owned Jag.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:41 PM

now this is particularly interesting to me....I suppose a fairly cheap way to do some research on this is to buy a Jag OE manifold gasket, and go to the parts store and compare them to 5.0L Ford gaskets. If any match up close enough, maybe headers would fit! Or, for someone like myself, if the flanges were the same I could easily re-fab the headers to fit, if necessary.

Attached Thumbnails who really builds it-20140601_195816_zpsvgpsjy1p.jpg  
Old 06-03-2014, 09:43 PM

or not only that, but Im looking into doing a cat delete, even if I left the stock manifolds I could possibly use (re-fabricated, if necessary) some Mustang 5.0L cat delete (test pipes) pipes.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:09 PM

I have an exhaust manifold gasket from a 4.2L AJ-33 here.

I had previously checked the measurements against the Windsor 5.0L, Coyote 5.0L, 4.6L Modular and the 3V Ford V8's, no match whatsoever.

The AJ-V8 has oval ports. The Windsor has square ports, the Coyote & the Modular have round ports. The 3V Ford V8 has siamese exhaust ports which are again different.

So i'd be surprised if the AJ133 5.0L would be the same...

I hate to break it to you, but there is no off-the-shelf Ford performance parts that will fit the AJ-V8...

Attached Thumbnails who really builds it-82738546_1376725745.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: who really builds it