XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Why are the emissions on the XKR so bad? (UK)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2022, 07:52 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Why are the emissions on the XKR so bad? (UK)

I am looking to sell my XKR because the running costs are becoming too high; one of the main problems is the tax cost. When I have been looking at other cars similar to the XKR (and actually have better performance figures) the cost for tax is far lower.

Is the engine in the XKR just badly engineered? I was amazed at how other manufacturers are able to get better performance figures for their cars at a fraction of the emissions. And I'm not talking 10% of something like that, cars like the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio and even the Ford Mustang with the V8 fall into the £155 per year tax bracket, but I am getting hammered for £600 a year on XKR.

Old 01-09-2022, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,178 Likes on 3,102 Posts

It certainly would help if you stated WHERE YOU LIVE. My taxes don't change for make or model, they are age-based and go by year manufactured.
Besides, ALL vehicles of each year had to conform to the emissions regulations of the country they were delivered to, regardless of which manufacturer.

Old 01-09-2022, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,488 Likes on 3,905 Posts

Using £, OP is likely UK.

The reasons the UK gov charge what they do are common to all cars by age etc and freely available but don't to my mind act the way the OP claims so far more detail (justification) of those allegations would be useful.

Old 01-09-2022, 11:36 AM
Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeroX
I am looking to sell my XKR because the running costs are becoming too high; one of the main problems is the tax cost. When I have been looking at other cars similar to the XKR (and actually have better performance figures) the cost for tax is far lower.

Is the engine in the XKR just badly engineered? I was amazed at how other manufacturers are able to get better performance figures for their cars at a fraction of the emissions. And I'm not talking 10% of something like that, cars like the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio and even the Ford Mustang with the V8 fall into the £155 per year tax bracket, but I am getting hammered for £600 a year on XKR.

The tax cost is high, but I will say that it is no higher than any other similar V8 engined car the same age. Your car is on the older tax system in UK that is done by emissions and yours is in the highest bracket because it's a 4.2L V8...

The Alfa and new Mustang are lower tax because the tax system changed recently for newer cars and is done by cost of car rather than Co2 emissions, I believe. They will also likely depreciate far more heavily.

The tax cost is least of your worries on a car like this in my opinion - the cars are slowly appreciating in UK from what I can see. If it's a toy it might be worth considering taxing 6 months a year etc and SORN over winter.

Old 01-09-2022, 12:04 PM

Sorry if my original post wasn't clear; I am not necesssarily questioning why the tax is high, I know the rules and which category the XKR falls into. What I am questioning is how other manufacturers get better performance figures with far less emissions.

Old 01-09-2022, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,166 Likes on 3,392 Posts

ZeroX has a 2011 XKR that appears to be a lemon.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...o-poor-246549/

Old 01-09-2022, 01:10 PM

Sorry if my original post wasn't clear; I am not necesssarily questioning why the tax is high, I know the rules and which category the XKR falls into. What I am questioning is how other manufacturers get better performance figures with far less emissions.
Give some examples of a V8 engine with lower tax that is roughly same age? These AJV8 engines are really excellent in my opinion.

Old 01-09-2022, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by mmcd87
Give some examples of a V8 engine with lower tax that is roughly same age? These AJV8 engines are really excellent in my opinion.
Why does it have to be the same engine configuration? But to make a more direct comparison, let's take the F-Type as the example instead. The V8 in this model also suffers from very high tax rates.

Again, to repeat myself, I am questioning why other manufacturers can get performance out of their engines that surpass the ones used by Jaguar but at the cost of much lower emissions.

Old 01-09-2022, 04:06 PM

Why does it have to be the same engine configuration? But to make a more direct comparison, let's take the F-Type as the example instead. The V8 in this model also suffers from very high tax rates.

Again, to repeat myself, I am questioning why other manufacturers can get performance out of their engines that surpass the ones used by Jaguar but at the cost of much lower emissions.

Times are changing and I think you are comparing your car to newer models where naturally emissions and technology have improved. Look at tax for BMW M3 or Mercedes E63, etc at same model year for comparison. What car with 500hp are you comparing to around 2011 model year?

Unless your comparing same engine configuration or at least displacement, your not comparing like for like. A smaller engine with less cylinders produces less emissions. That's why so many manufacturers are turbocharging / supercharging smaller engines - you get better fuel and emissions efficiency 'off boost'.

You can turbocharge or supercharge something smaller, sometimes with excellent results, but in low / mid range the higher displacement car will almost always feel nicer to drive. That gap is closing as times move on though.

Old 01-09-2022, 04:15 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mmcd87
The tax cost is high, but I will say that it is no higher than any other similar V8 engined car the same age. Your car is on the older tax system in UK that is done by emissions and yours is in the highest bracket because it's a 4.2L V8...

The Alfa and new Mustang are lower tax because the tax system changed recently for newer cars and is done by cost of car rather than Co2 emissions, I believe. They will also likely depreciate far more heavily.

The tax cost is least of your worries on a car like this in my opinion - the cars are slowly appreciating in UK from what I can see. If it's a toy it might be worth considering taxing 6 months a year etc and SORN over winter.
This is correct, the tax system (vehicle excise duty) changed in 2017 IIRC and cars such as the XKR if it were for sale today now pay a higher rate of tax for the first 5 years of their life before then reducing down to £155 per year.

The XKR is merely a victim of the tax system applicable at the time of sale. A V8 F Type SVR for example with a broadly similar 5 litre Supercharged V8 engine costs the following in tax -

Years 1-5 = £155 + an extra £310 suppliment (£465 total)

Year 6 onwards = £155 total.

My point here being that you're not doing a fair comparison by comparing cars manufacturerd in different years and complaining about the £600 per year in tax/VED payable on the XKR.

When comparing a 2020 F Type V8 to a BMW M5, Merc C63, Alfa etc... They all pay the same £155 (+£320 for the first 5 years).

Compare a 2010 XKR to a 2010 BMW M5, Merc C63,​​​​​ and guess what, they all pay the same £600.

​​​​​​​

Last edited by Russ9898; 01-09-2022 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-10-2022, 06:13 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Tottally agree with you, its just crazy. I have a 2008 XKR which can go into the london ULEZ without penalty so why the high cost of tax.I also have a 2004 STR same engine V8 Supercharged which wont go into the ULEZ without penalty and the tax is £300 approx.
JUST PLAIN BARMY

Old 01-10-2022, 08:01 AM
GGG
Received 16,818 Likes on 12,177 Posts

I am looking to sell my XKR because the running costs are becoming too high; one of the main problems is the tax cost. ......
Your 2011 XKR and my 2014 XK are in the same tax band. The VED (Vehicle Excise Duty has risen from 535 UKP to 600 UKP per year in the three years we have owned these vehicles. To put this into perspective, it is considerably less than the cost of one tank of fuel.

Your first thread was Why is the performance of the XKR so poor?

You are clearly disappointed with the X150 and have been for some time so why keep it as long? I purchased a Porsche Cayenne in December 2020 and came to dislike it so much, I sold it 11 months later.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 01-10-2022 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Typo
The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
jahummer (01-10-2022), peterv8 (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
Your first thread was Why is the performance of the XKR so poor?
You are clearly disappointed with the X150 and have been for some time so why keep it as long? I purchased a Porsche Cayenne in December 2020 and came to dislike it so much, I sold it 11 months later.
Graham
Clearly he has a major problem with his particular car. No sane person would say an XKR had poor performance unless it was a broken XKR.

Old 01-10-2022, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Clearly he has a major problem with his particular car. No sane person would say an XKR had poor performance unless it was a broken XKR.
​​​​​​
Agreed. My only suggestion would be if he's trying to do a hard launch with the car in auto where the gearbox will start in 2nd gear vs manually shifting into first?

Old 01-10-2022, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Russ9898
​​​​​​
Agreed. My only suggestion would be if he's trying to do a hard launch with the car in auto where the gearbox will start in 2nd gear vs manually shifting into first?
It actually does start in first while it Auto, both Auto Sport and regular. This has been a contention for many years. When paddling, the car WILL shift down into second gear to save the transmission, but when in auto it surely does start from a stop in first gear.
Try it for yourself... dead stop, you can feel each shift and see the tachometer drop on each shift..... there are five. The shift from first to second is very soon and very quick.

Old 01-10-2022, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
It actually does start in first while it Auto, both Auto Sport and regular. This has been a contention for many years. When paddling, the car WILL shift down into second gear to save the transmission, but when in auto it surely does start from a stop in first gear.
Try it for yourself... dead stop, you can feel each shift and see the tachometer drop on each shift..... there are five. The shift from first to second is very soon and very quick.
I wasn't aware of that, I was adamant it started off in second gear. My XKR is currently in the garage for some service/repair work but will try it out when I pick her up later this week
​​

Old 01-10-2022, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,488 Likes on 3,905 Posts

But to make a more direct comparison, let's take the F-Type as the example instead. The V8 in this model also suffers from very high tax rates.

To emphasise what others have already posted: if you do a proper comparison the XKR is treated 100% the same.

You keep failing to do a proper comparison.

Old 01-11-2022, 03:09 AM
GGG
Received 16,818 Likes on 12,177 Posts

There is always the possibility that Jaguar Land Rover are more honest about emissions than the likes of VW Group.

Graham

The following 6 users liked this post by GGG:
guy (01-12-2022), JagV8 (01-11-2022), jahummer (01-11-2022), peterv8 (01-11-2022), ralphwg (01-12-2022), V7Sport (01-11-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-12-2022, 10:44 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,017 Likes on 721 Posts

have you forgotten about the BMW exaggerations?
https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/08/busin...ers/index.html