XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Window tint in NY

Old 12-14-2016, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts
Default Window tint in NY

I just heard that a new law was passed in NY regarding % window tint. I don't know anything about tinting as I have not had it on any car that I owned and removed it from my pick up when I bought it. The law says it needs to be 70% visibility or 30% tint. Seems this was bought about by the police not being able to see into the car which have caused problems. The catch is that if the tint doesn't meet these requirements your car won't pass state inspection. Just a tip to the NY folks but don't be surprised if this trend expands.

Old 12-14-2016, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

Many states have such requirements. I just tell the tinter to make as dark as legally possible. No problems yet.

Tint Laws

Old 12-14-2016, 05:17 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by shemp
Many states have such requirements. I just tell the tinter to make as dark as legally possible. No problems yet.

Tint Laws
Don't forget the front windshield tint,expensive but worth it

Old 12-14-2016, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

My 2009 XKR already had a slight tint in the factory glass. Unless you're exposed to massive amounts of sunlight (here in NM we have 350 days of sunshine) then the window tint is probably not needed. I do however highly recommend a sunshade for the front windshield when parked.

In NY, only the top 6" of the windshield glass is allowed to be tinted, that in my opinion would not look good or serve a useful purpose.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by shemp
Good advice. Also, I would suggest ceramic based tint. I had my XK tinted and it sounds like the same laws for MA or close to it. I do not believe we can tint the windshield.

*** For those who have tinted their windshield, "How does it stand up to inspection & other stickers that mounted and removed from windshield?"

Old 12-15-2016, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Good advice. Also, I would suggest ceramic based tint. I had my XK tinted and it sounds like the same laws for MA or close to it. I do not believe we can tint the windshield.

*** For those who have tinted their windshield, "How does it stand up to inspection & other stickers that mounted and removed from windshield?"
MA isn't that bad. 35%
Tint Laws

NY is 70%. That's ridiculous. TX is 25% thank God because the sun can be brutal.

Old 12-15-2016, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I can see where the problem is going to come in here and that is when the car doesn't pass state inspection. Don't know the laws in other states and I guess some don't even have inspections but here it is a PITA deal . It's all about the money.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I can see where the problem is going to come in here and that is when the car doesn't pass state inspection. Don't know the laws in other states and I guess some don't even have inspections but here it is a PITA deal . It's all about the money.
If you're going to tint the windows on your personal vehicle and the business enterprise tints the glass to the State of NY laws, you should have no problem with state inspections.

Simple require the business enterprise to provide a receipt showing the % of window tint applied.

If you're not going to tint your personal vehicle than none of this matters.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (12-16-2016)
Old 12-17-2016, 10:17 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Please don't discount the new clear front windshield tint available today.
I have it and the heat and UV blocked is amazing.
Florida does have a little heat.