XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Leather Care/Repair

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 12:27 PM
Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Leather Care/Repair

I may not be able to get to this for a bit, but wanted to start some research. My 2008 XKR Convertible has a charcoal interior (code LEG). Seats are in great condition an will just need treatment. Dash has a small area of imperfection on passenger side and driver door and center console have a few areas of embossing Im guessing from everyday items hitting. This is not by any means sever, but I would like to get back to 100%.

Just looking for some DIY or other recommendations on how to restore to showroom quality. I'll try to get some pics. These are all very minor and more nit-picky for the most part.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by J5hort
I may not be able to get to this for a bit, but wanted to start some research. My 2008 XKR Convertible has a charcoal interior (code LEG). Seats are in great condition an will just need treatment. Dash has a small area of imperfection on passenger side and driver door and center console have a few areas of embossing Im guessing from everyday items hitting. This is not by any means sever, but I would like to get back to 100%.

Just looking for some DIY or other recommendations on how to restore to showroom quality. I'll try to get some pics. These are all very minor and more nit-picky for the most part.
Following this thread as I also want to fix a couple of nicks in my Caramel color console leather trim. Drives me nuts because the rest of the interior is perfect. Since it's so small, I was considering taking it to a pro.

But...What I found so far on the interwebz was leather filler lit which is kind of "plasticky" that you cover with a dye. There was a thread on a different area of this forum that went over this. I'll try to find it.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts
Old 12-16-2016, 01:14 PM
Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

Shemp, I think you repair looks great. Thanks for sharing. Although, my issues are less scuff and are more pitting or indentations. The color is all intact.

I spied a site that appears to have some products that might work at Home Page | Leatherique Restoration Products maybe more of a rejuvinator is in order. Any one used these products?

Old 12-16-2016, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Shemp, I think you repair looks great. Thanks for sharing. Although, my issues are less scuff and are more pitting or indentations. The color is all intact.

I spied a site that appears to have some products that might work at Home Page | Leatherique Restoration Products maybe more of a rejuvinator is in order. Any one used these products?
Their products are OK. I've used them to restore leather on my 80's Jag restorations. The products themselves are easy to apply but I was less impressed with their color matching. You need to send them a 1" square.

Also with some parts of the Jag seats and door cards were/are vinyl and the dye doesn't stick to vinyl for long. No water based dye will. Vinyl will paint however. I'm not sure if any Jag interior parts are vinyl nowadays so this may be a non issue.

The filler isn't all it's cracked up to be (no pun intended). The bond isn't that great and it hardens a bit and there is no effective way to match the grain pattern. If you're talking something smaller than a baby pea, you're probably fine to use it. If the repair is on a flexible surface, it will disappoint over time.

I think their Pristine clean and Rejuvenator a very good. I still use them on my furniture at home.

Keep in mind I was restoring leather from 1985. The Jaguar doe skin was covered in lacquer back then and got hard as a rock over time.

I applied the dye with an air sprayer, not a sponge.

Surflex products gets good reviews on color match. I haven't used them.

Of course if you have the charcoal interior, you can often get away with shoe polish:-) and leather is treated much differently now than it was in the 80's, so please take that into account.

Last edited by Sean W; 12-16-2016 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

j5hort,
If the imperfections are just indentations as you seem to indicate, you can often steam them out with a clothing steamer or steam from an iron. Moisten a microfibre towel and wrap around the steamer nozzle or iron (so that you don't directly touch the leather), and as the steam hits the area, massage it gently, and it may successfully help eliminate them. Stretched leather on the seats can also be done this way.

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (12-17-2016)
Old 12-17-2016, 12:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Check out the customer reviews on Lexol Cleaner and Lexol Conditioners.

Used this on my XKR from the day it was delivered. Excellent results, a quality no-brainer product to use and very cost effective.

Read the reviews on each product...

https://www.amazon.com/Lexol-907-Lea...er+conditioner

This product works extremely well. Use on the seats, door panels and leather dash.

Sean W (12-17-2016)
Old 12-17-2016, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I have been a big proponent of Lexol and Connolly's for decades, but I question if it's just spinning wheels as the modern leather is coated and product does penetrate to make a difference. Keeping the leather clean is the most important.

Sean W (12-17-2016)
Old 12-17-2016, 08:52 AM
Received 420 Likes on 205 Posts

I have used the Rejuvinator and Pristine Clean products routinely on both of my Jags. They're more of a prophylactic tandem. I did have very good luck with their leather dye products and found them to be a great match with the caramel colored interior on my XK, though my issue was more of a scuff issue and not the 'dent' issue you're looking to address.

I used a different product on my XKR and it was more of a paint and I would NOT recommend it. I cannot find the merchant anymore but only have the items description from my PayPal email receipt, as follows: Jaguar Paint Pot Colours, Jaguar Colours: Cashmere (SDZ), PayPal ID: SALESAUTOPR.

Hope that wee bit of guidance helps.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
j5hort,
If the imperfections are just indentations as you seem to indicate, you can often steam them out with a clothing steamer or steam from an iron. Moisten a microfibre towel and wrap around the steamer nozzle or iron (so that you don't directly touch the leather), and as the steam hits the area, massage it gently, and it may successfully help eliminate them. Stretched leather on the seats can also be done this way.
Excellent suggestion.

Part of my restorations involved removing the seat skins (leather) and then steaming the foam. I just used an everyday clothing steamer. It was amazing watching it come back to life and retake its original shape so I can attest to this.

Then came the fun part of trying to pull the leather back over the foam.

Ultimately I covered the foam with a dry cleaning bag and them vacuumed the air from it drawing it in, slid the leather back over then reached up within and pulled off the dry cleaning bag. Worked like a charm.

These were very old seats and extremely thick leather, and never would have worked to try and steam through the leather, but to your point, the dent might just be in the leather and leather on more modern vehicles is thinner. I think this is an excellent idea and worth a "first attempt."

Thanks for jogging a trip down memory lane for me tberg

tberg (12-17-2016)
Old 12-17-2016, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Sean,
One more thing, I know many sing the praises of Lexol Cleaner and Conditioner, I, personally, don't like the conditioner at all. But, a few months ago, on a whim, I tried an Armor All product called Leather Restore and have found it to be much less streaky, excellent coverage, no buffing, etc. I know some don't like Armor All products out of principle, but this is one that I now use as part of my routine.

Sean W (12-17-2016)
Old 12-17-2016, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,145 Likes on 3,385 Posts
Default I Recommend These Leather Care Products

I highly recommend the Interior Cleaner and Leather Care products from Griot's Garage. IMPORTANT-see my post# 9 for details of my experience: click https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...r-care-159536/

You can buy this kit directly from Griot's Garage https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...om=Search&cx=0. It's also available on Amazon, but costs more: https://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage...er+conditioner

Cleaning and conditioning your leather depends on which type is in your car. For details about how automotive leather is made, including unsealed, aniline, and polyurethane coated, and cleaning and conditioning tips for each type of leather, see my post #10: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...r-care-159536/

A couple of years ago, I noticed that the Ivory leather of the upper left side bolster of my driver's seat was beginning to show signs of wear, so before it got too bad I decided to touch it up with water-based leather dye custom color matched from Dynamix of the UK. For details, see: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...t-wear-122891/

It was a perfect color match, and very easy to apply using the supplied sponge. I cleaned the side bolster with the Griot's Interior Cleaner, let it dry, and then put a small amount of dye on the sponge and dabbed it on. I was skeptical, but after it dried all of the cracks and abrasions were completely filled in and my driver's seat looked like new! I had to look very closely to tell where the dye was applied.

My driver's seat still looks like new after 2 years, but I changed how I get into the car. Previously, I put my right leg in first, and then slid my side against the bolster to sit down, which caused the abrasion to that bolster. Now, I plop by butt in the seat first, and then swing my legs around and in. No more wear to that bolster.

If this was helpful, please press at the bottom right.

Stuart

Last edited by Stuart S; 12-17-2016 at 12:37 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Stuart S:
CatScratchFever (02-01-2018), kj07xk (12-17-2016), LoudHogRider (12-20-2016), ralphwg (12-17-2016), Sean W (12-17-2016)