XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Winter Rims and Tires Installed So I'm set for winter

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 07:09 PM
Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Winter Rims and Tires Installed So I'm set for winter

Purchased some 18" Coventry Whitley's for my winter set. Didn't want to run on the 20" Senta's and Hancook's in a Chicago Winter.

8.5" Front and 9.5" Rear and paired those with Blizzaks LM-32's.

245/45 Front and 255/45 Rear.

Went with the 18's for protection from pot holes and thought the ride would soften a bit over the 20's but really didn't seem to change that much.

Still firm over larger bumps and a little softer over small ones.

Handling seems about the same too, but it's not like I'm taking it to the track.

Thought the TPMS would light up as I saw a post about the sensors having to relearn but didn't have any issues with that. Never came on and the new wheel are equipped with the 315mhz system. Guess I could let some air out of one and see if it lights up.

Attached Thumbnails Winter Rims and Tires Installed So I'm set for winter-winter1.jpg   Winter Rims and Tires Installed So I'm set for winter-winter2.jpg   Winter Rims and Tires Installed So I'm set for winter-winter3.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
CleverName (11-12-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by DpezXK8
Went with the 18's for protection from pot holes and thought the ride would soften a bit over the 20's but really didn't seem to change that much.
Still firm over larger bumps and a little softer over small ones.
I'm guessing the weight on the tire and rim combo is still pretty darn high, hence the "still firm" feeling.
Did Coventry give you weights on each of the rims? Anything over about 22 -23lbs is swinging to the heavy side in the 18" world and will harshen up a ride noticeably.

2cents

Old 11-12-2014, 10:56 PM

Just think the 07 has a much stiffer suspension than my 97 had.

I saw in a post that some of the XKR guys were complaining about the stiffness of the rear springs.

It's definitely a more sportier ride. Better handling and firmer suspension but still comfortable. Just use to the other, had it for a long long time.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Now that we've had some snow, have you taken it out to see how it handles?

Old 01-13-2015, 12:05 AM

Awesome, went out in a snow storm to pick up some weathertech mats and it was fuuuunnn. Handled like the sure footed kitty I thought it would. My 97 was the same way, just insane traction control as long as you have the proper rubber.

Always puts a smile om my face when jeeps and suvs change lanes so they're not behind you at a light. When the light changes and you blow them away they start following you.

She even looks pretty in the snow don't you think?

Attached Thumbnails Winter Rims and Tires Installed So I'm set for winter-frontsnow.jpg  
Old 01-13-2015, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by DpezXK8
Awesome, went out in a snow storm to pick up some weathertech mats and it was fuuuunnn. Handled like the sure footed kitty I thought it would. My 97 was the same way, just insane traction control as long as you have the proper rubber.

Always puts a smile om my face when jeeps and suvs change lanes so they're not behind you at a light. When the light changes and you blow them away they start following you.

She even looks pretty in the snow don't you think?
I gotta hand it to you as I don't think I would have the courage to take mine out in the snow. In order for me to do that I would need to put a cast on my right foot , LOL. Good luck , have fun and don't bend any of the parts.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,286 Posts

She do look pretty, and glad to hear she blows (through the) snow too.
Another question, have you found a place for a good under-body wash?

Old 01-13-2015, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

I mistakenly had mine out in the snow on summer rubber since I live 27 miles from work and the weather was nice when I left. It is very balanced and predictable handling, but very little grip. I can imagine it would do well with proper rubber, but since mine is an x100, rust scares me too much.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:44 PM

My 97 was a daily driver for 8yrs and didn't have rust issues. I use to run that one through car washes in the winter as the top design was different. Read in the owners manual on the 07 (X150) not to take through washes with spinning brushes as it could damage the top and seals.

With the way the new top design seals I plan on hand wash only. I would think even automatic pressure washes might push water into the cabin. Don't really want to find out.

As far as car wash places go I just use my local self wash to clean out the wheel wells and undercarriage. Get a little wet but works well, otherwise I bucket wash at my shop to clear any salt off the car. In the spring I'll jack it up, crawl under as see if there is any thing I missed.

When its warm out I always hand wash and detail weekly and touch up as needed.

By the way I don't go crazy in the winter when driving on snow, especially in traffic. But the traction system on these is truly amazing.

I'm not saying I don't put it to the test when no one is around, that way if something does happen in traffic I know what it can and can't do. Haven't found much it can't do .

My brother in-laws uncle has a series 1 E-Type he rebuilt from scratch and I took him in the 97 one time on new years day. There was a mix of ice, snow, and small patches of dry pavement. I pushed the pedal down and he grabbed the dash because we when from 0-60 like nothing with tires spinning all the way. You could hear one slip and one grab but the car just went straight like a bullet. You couldn't even feel the tires slipping, just knew they were. Drove for a few miles and figured we should get back to the party so at an intersection, turned off the traction, spun it 270, hit traction again (much easier on the 97) and shot out like a bullet again. This time he was relaxed and smiling.