Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Would you buy a water damaged XKR?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbosonoma
wow ur good, got everything bang on there!!
for the rest of you, no the car hasnt been gutted, i havent removed a thing, and if you find natural salt water in the middle of alberta you can have the car. a complete front clip is worth 20k all day long to the right person, alot of the inner frame bits/structure isnt even available from the dealer even if you really needed it.
Thanks - just out of curiosity ('cause I already have a complete XKR wot works, and I'm about 4,700 miles from you ), do you know what actually happened to the car? It looks intact; was it flooded, or did someone try out a new type of car wash?

It appears everyone on your side of the pond is running a little twitchy since there have been a few cases of Sandy-flooded cars being shipped elsewhere and sold as 'fresh water damaged'. I don't think anyone's having a go at you, just being a bit cautious.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it was caught up in the calgary floods, calgary is an inland province so theres no ocean anywhere near by, mind you lots of houses got flooded so there could be some table salt in the water?? im going to give it a wash tomorow maybe and put it on ebay whole i think, it would make a great parts car or chassis for a race build.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

it was caught up in the calgary floods, calgary is an inland province so theres no ocean anywhere near by, mind you lots of houses got flooded so there could be some table salt in the water?? im going to give it a wash tomorow maybe and put it on ebay whole i think, it would make a great parts car or chassis for a race build.
It's a real shame; nice car, but modern motors and water just don't mix. Too many crucial electronic bits, and all interconnected by security and authentication protocols that make it hard to swap individual units without access to some serious diagnostic hardware. Gone are the days when all you needed was a decent toolkit.

Anyway, good luck in finding a buyer - as you say, someone must have a use for an intact car, even if it's not really feasible to turn it back into a runner.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

wow ur good, got everything bang on there!!
for the rest of you, no the car hasnt been gutted, i havent removed a thing, ....
Perhaps you could enlighten us as to why the dash and airbags have been removed?

Old 08-15-2013, 12:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's makes you think the dash and airbags have been removed?

Old 08-15-2013, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Suggest selling it as a whole rather than parts. If the car does not run, there is no way to tell the indivdual parts are any good. You never did state whether the car turns over or not. Your original eBay ad was quite vague overall and did not include "full disclosure" which many Jaguar owners would want to know.

Perhaps that is something you can work on, with a very detailed description to any potential buyer. Where the car originated from, vin number, state of the flood damage etc. The original ad looks far to fishy to most potential buyers. I think the original poster of this thread has saved allot by bringing this car forward to compassionate Jaguar owners and others willing lend solid advice about the brand and buying a water soaked car, salt or fresh water.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Wouldn't it be nice if cars were like cellphones? When they got wet you can just put them in a big plastic bag full of rice and in a few days it would be as good as new...

Old 08-15-2013, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Wouldn't it be nice if cars were like cellphones? When they got wet you can just put them in a big plastic bag full of rice and in a few days it would be as good as new...
Yes.

The seller of this car has many questions to answer to any potential buyers. I am sure that poster "GritsNCornBread" is happy that he made this post originally.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:54 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I certainly am. I have little to no knowledge of modern cars' ability to withstand water damage as opposed to models past. My Audi allroad was a flood damaged car and three years after the event, it still runs like new. It was worth a look, and I certainly appreciate all the input. I certainly wasn't expecting this level of response. Kudos to all.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member

What's makes you think the dash and airbags have been removed?
I think it may have been this sentence in the eBay ad:

i also have the airbags and dash available.
Some people interpreted that as "The car doesn't have a dash or airbags, but I can supply them" - I think what you meant was "As well as the front clip, I'm also prepared to sell the dash & airbags".

Old 08-15-2013, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

if you find natural salt water in the middle of alberta you can have the car.
Chappice lake....
When can you deliver it?

Old 08-15-2013, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CleverName
Chappice lake....
When can you deliver it?
Wow - described as 'hyper saline', even. Who'd a thunk it?

Canada: big country, all sorts of weird stuff goin' on...

Old 09-06-2013, 09:21 AM
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

$25k? Nope, not me for sure. Make a nice parts car, but who pays that kind of money for a parts car? I have seen some electronics that got wet and failed, then replaced, only to find out a year later it dried out enough to start working normally again, but I'm talking about old radios and cassette recorders, not the rare parts found in a Jag. Too many unknowns here. Even at $10k, it would still be a DIY project car to learn on that could take many years to complete. Your entire investment could depreciate right before you get to realize the dream. You would need a decent sized climate controlled garage to keep it in while drying and sealing everything. It stands to reason that another car in perfect working order would come in handy as a testing tool. On my 12 year old XKR, I have had to go in and resolder circuits on the ABS, and the seat modules, and they never got wet. Forget the engine and drive train. It's the electronics that can be a very finicky thing. Hearing about EMP's and solar flares give me the heebeejeebies.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:30 PM
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

In a word, no.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:39 PM
Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Give me a price

I am interested in purchasing a 5.0 engine with the blower still on it. Also the trans. I dont care if it has been sitting on the bottom of the ocean for a year. Not interested with anything that has a rod thru the block ,though

Old 02-10-2014, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member

Think he's sold it - it isn't in his eBay listings.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:22 PM
Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Water Damage

I'm still dreaming....I'm looking at a relatively new one that has a record of water damage and the dealership that took it off the hands of the bank doesn't know the full history (how high the water went, whether it was in the back of the car or the engine compartment or other location. I haven't made the trip to drive it, but am assured that it works like new, has no visual cues of damage and no indications of problems in the electrical components. Since it works now, does that mean that it may last or, as mentioned above, there's still a great chance for continued intermittent problems. They'll offer a 1 year warranty on it. It has a tainted title, but I have no problem driving it until it drops. I'm disinclined to take the risk, but am wavering.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by FRGIII2014
I'm still dreaming....I'm looking at a relatively new one that has a record of water damage and the dealership that took it off the hands of the bank doesn't know the full history (how high the water went, whether it was in the back of the car or the engine compartment or other location. I haven't made the trip to drive it, but am assured that it works like new, has no visual cues of damage and no indications of problems in the electrical components. Since it works now, does that mean that it may last or, as mentioned above, there's still a great chance for continued intermittent problems. They'll offer a 1 year warranty on it. It has a tainted title, but I have no problem driving it until it drops. I'm disinclined to take the risk, but am wavering.
If it is salt water damage, I would stay away. Looks like you may need to see more history of the car.

The following users liked this post:
FRGIII2014 (10-11-2014)
Old 10-10-2014, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I had a buddy that worked in a salvage yard and I recall about 5-10 years ago they got a Audi A8L flood car. They pulled the total interior and moved the car into a heated paint booth. They cooked it for a few weeks at 8 hours a day . They dried out the leather and treated it to as new condition. Threw out the carpets and got new ones. After the drying process the unplugged and cleaned and greased all of the connectors they could see. By the way the did all of the usual things like changing all fluids and replacing plugs and coil packs. Oh they also removed the door panels and cleaned everything up inside. After all was done and they put it back together it started right up and ran great. The whole process took almost 6 months and a lot of labor. They had the title cleaned with a state inspection (required for salvage title cars) and sold it. I was told they made a profit but don't know how much. They did say that they won't do it again due to the time involved and now they just strip and part them out.

The following users liked this post:
FRGIII2014 (10-11-2014)
Old 10-10-2014, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
$25,000!? Jeeze... at that price, I'd be at least tempted to check it out. I'm sure it would give me one or two weeks of trouble-free service...
Almost part it out at that price.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a water damaged XKR?