XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Would you trade up from a 2005 XK8 to a 2008 XK?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts
Default Would you trade up from a 2005 XK8 to a 2008 XK?

Just wondering what are the differences in driving or living with the car.

I've been driving an 05 XK8 Coupe for 3 years and it has been absolutely trouble-free. I love the lines on the car even though I feel they are a bit dated now. It only has about 34K miles with 2 years of extended warranty left.

So, I am getting itchy, yes, that 3 year itch to get into something else. I've seen a Certified 08 with low miles and with the 6 year, 100,000 miles warranty.

My question is; how is the 08 drive compared to the 05? I know that it is the same power train. My present car is kind of lazy taking off, takes a lot of pedal input and the handling was fairly soft and under-steering until I changed to rear sway bar setup on the advice of a forum member. I guess, I am looking to see if the newer car is crisper in the chassis and the transmission tuning? Anyone who owner both? Any particular problem areas that I should know of?

Thanks for any comparison advice,

Albert

Old 03-03-2011, 11:17 PM
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a 97 XK8 and I traded up to an 07 XK and they are completely different cars. Even though there's not much difference in horsepower the 07 seemed much quicker off the line, the transmission shift logic is much better. And they sound amazing.

But, I only kept the 07 6 months before trading up to an 08 XKR and the extra kick in the pants from the supercharger is definitely worth it - even if the ride is a bit harder.

I think you need to test drive an 07 and see the difference. Then, keep saving for another 6 months so you can buy an XKR

Old 03-04-2011, 12:30 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Jallitt, I was hoping to hear just what you said about the newer gen XK being a different car. I will now definitely test drive the 08. As to going for the XKR, or even for the 2010 with the 5L engine, I really do not have much interest in more power anymore. If I did, I still have a 500 HP, 2600 lbs highly tuned 3rd gen RX-7 in my garage that will probably run the pants off just about anything on the road. I'm a long time, now retired, SCCA GT and Formula class racer but, just getting too old for that much power and speed. I just want the Jag because it is a JAG, it looks like one and moves like one. Just like my 05 XK, it can not be mistaken for anything else. It is the PASSION with these cars; walking up to them on a parking lot, even after years of driving them, and still admiring those gorgeous curves...

Thanks for your reply,

Albert

Old 03-11-2011, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member
Default The End of the Story...

Today, I did trade my silver 2005 XK for a 2008 Emerald Fire XK. It came with 21K miles and is a Select Edition car, giving me coverage until 8/2014. The car had been sitting on the Dealer's showroom floor for nearly 7 months so, I got a fair price because of that.

The color is stunning, full British Racing Green in the shade and literally comes alive in the sunshine.

The '08 is a significant step upgrade compared to the 05. My senses tell me that there is more power difference than claimed. This car is much faster and the reduced weight does not account for all of that. It is noticeably stiffer chassis going over the badly broken CA roads and actually rides better on those wider 19" tires than the 05 did on its 18" tires. It is a much improved car. The only slight negative I noticed during my 150 miles of driving it home was that the exhaust does produce a barely perceptible vibration-sound under light acceleration; like slowing in freeway traffic then, slightly touching the gas to get back to speeds. I got very good ears for these, unfortunately. Guess, that is the price to pay for a free-flowing and louder-than-05 exhaust system.

After driving through San Francisco traffic then getting into 4 slower, stop and go traffic zones during my drive home my MPG readout indicated 29.1 as I pulled off the freeway to begin my 17 miles of winding road driving. When I got home the MPG still indicated 28.0 INCREDIBLE!!!

Old 03-12-2011, 10:19 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by axr6
Today, I did trade my silver 2005 XK for a 2008 Emerald Fire XK. It came with 21K miles and is a Select Edition car, giving me coverage until 8/2014. The car had been sitting on the Dealer's showroom floor for nearly 7 months so, I got a fair price because of that.

The color is stunning, full British Racing Green in the shade and literally comes alive in the sunshine.

The '08 is a significant step upgrade compared to the 05. My senses tell me that there is more power difference than claimed. This car is much faster and the reduced weight does not account for all of that. It is noticeably stiffer chassis going over the badly broken CA roads and actually rides better on those wider 19" tires than the 05 did on its 18" tires. It is a much improved car. The only slight negative I noticed during my 150 miles of driving it home was that the exhaust does produce a barely perceptible vibration-sound under light acceleration; like slowing in freeway traffic then, slightly touching the gas to get back to speeds. I got very good ears for these, unfortunately. Guess, that is the price to pay for a free-flowing and louder-than-05 exhaust system.

After driving through San Francisco traffic then getting into 4 slower, stop and go traffic zones during my drive home my MPG readout indicated 29.1 as I pulled off the freeway to begin my 17 miles of winding road driving. When I got home the MPG still indicated 28.0 INCREDIBLE!!!
Congratulations on the new car! I think they are incredible automobiles and it's hard not to smile when driving them. Enjoy!

Old 06-19-2012, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by axr6
I have found out the computer MPG is often *very* different from actual MPG. And if you carry heavy luggage it's even worse. But yeah it's always nice to see a high MPG readout...until you start noticing the gas needle *move* in front of your eyes!

Cheers,
Wolfy

Old 06-19-2012, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,198 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfy
I have found out the computer MPG is often *very* different from actual MPG. And if you carry heavy luggage it's even worse. But yeah it's always nice to see a high MPG readout...until you start noticing the gas needle *move* in front of your eyes!

Cheers,
Wolfy
The few times I compared mileage to the trip computer they have been very close.