XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

xk - add phone antenna???

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 04:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xk - add phone antenna???

I'm new to this forum. Here's the issue: have an 09 xk. In our area, cell phone reception is not good, so I bought a booster. It has a small antenna that must be "mounted" outside the vehicle (they recommend the roof, but we can't do that since it is a convertible). Anyway, the antenna has a magnet, and naturally that wont work on an aluminum body. . . .
Any suggestions on where on the car this antenna could be attached and how? I understand that the built in radio antenna is in the spoiler; in the center of the trunk (rear) there is also a "bump" but I dont know what it contains. Could this new (small) antenna be somehow placed there, or thereabouts?
Any suggestions/help are welcome.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,145 Likes on 3,385 Posts

ezios,

I presume you plug the booster into your cigarette lighter recepticle and then plug your cell phone into the booster.

I would try mounting the booster inside the passenger compartment and see what happens. I doubt that the cloth top will adversely affect the signal strength, but I'm not sure. Don't mount it permanently; just try it in different locations to see if it improves your reception, such as on the floor behind the front seats. If that works, you can use double-sided tape to mount it.

It's possible that the manufacturer's recommended mounting location uses the steel roof to enhance or help amplify the signal. If that's the case, then you might be out of luck.

The "bump" on the trunk lid is the shark fin antenna, which I think is for GPS/nav and cellular reception.

Good luck, and let us know the results.

Stuart