XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XK in the news a lot

Old 06-25-2019, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts
Default XK in the news a lot

This was in the news 3 days ago.
I was amazed how much publicity the XK got- more than in XK adverts.

I wonder how many watching this might actually think 'that's a beautiful new car Jaguar is working on'

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2019/06/2...over-cars.html

The following users liked this post:
XJDanny (09-18-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 732 Likes on 468 Posts

They'll be fine. Or not. No advertisement on the boob tube lately except for F/I Pace. I understand why but they should splash us occasionally with an F ad. It is after all a sports car manufacturer. Builds mystique in the brand even if the masses will not buy. Anybody here purchase their Jag because they heard it was reliable? No I spect not, most purchase cause it's a Jag. Did the XK's not look delicious. Too bad never again.

Last edited by 1 of 19; 06-25-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Reverend Sam (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

Ever since I removed some badges and reduced how obvious the remaining ones are I have yet to meet a person that is not a Jaguar owner that even knows it is a Jaguar.

They know they are looking at something special, will ask what it is; but haven't the foggiest what it is they are looking at.

Originally Posted by 1 of 19
Anybody here purchase their Jag because they heard it was reliable?
I did.

And it has been.

However, I did choose used over new as a used car would have the teething problems sorted.

Queen and Country (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Great video. I could see Jaguar being sold and Tata keeping LR. The video made some great points on the brands' history; that consumer doesn't see Jaguar as a sports car legacy brand. They don't need to rely on their sporting heritage to sell cars today. Sad, but true. I see Jag's future in electric premium vehicles. Drop the lower end models please. LR I had high hopes on until I saw the new Defender spy shots. That's a sad day to call that the new Defender. We wanted to buy an Evoque convertible, but JLR dealer was really uncooperative and we moved on... Be cool when they have an electric Range Rover full size.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
LR I had high hopes on until I saw the new Defender spy shots. That's a sad day to call that the new Defender.
Holy smokes does the Defender ever have a cult following, and then some. Its legendary. Even in the States you can sell one used for 4 years for more money than you paid for it.
It will be interesting to see if they are able to capitalize on it in developing countries where ironically both the reputation and the buying power exists...
...China is what saved the auto-industry and the thing that's taking it down now, well guess where there is a massive demand for rugged jeep-like SUVs...
TATA's home turf. It single-handedly saved Suzuki. Its one of the most successful and essential cars on the road worldwide, which just went out of production. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Jimny
I wonder if this is the market Tata is aiming for, or more the Western market??

There simplicity, capability and ruggedness would make economic sense. (they have to be able to manufacture them in multiple continents- just like the Suzuki!)

Old 06-25-2019, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Holy smokes does the Defender ever have a cult following, and then some. Its legendary. Even in the States you can sell one used for 4 years for more money than you paid for it.
The new Defender has none of the ruggedness or substantive looks of the previous generations. Jeep has got LR beat every which way in that respect. Funny now that LR needs to beat Jeep at the game LR ruled for decades.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:38 PM
Received 141 Likes on 95 Posts

You could not give me a Defender. It is an old antiquated car that was made for far to long. I never understand why car companies keep on making product when they know it has been obsolete for many, many years. It does not do the manufacturer any justice and ultimately it tells you where Land Rover are at as a company. Take a 1000 mile road trip in one and tell us if you still like it. Cars these days must be able to do everything well, I can only think of one thing the the Defender did well.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mufc
You could not give me a Defender. It is an old antiquated car that was made for far to long. I never understand why car companies keep on making product when they know it has been obsolete for many, many years. It does not do the manufacturer any justice and ultimately it tells you where Land Rover are at as a company. Take a 1000 mile road trip in one and tell us if you still like it. Cars these days must be able to do everything well, I can only think of one thing the the Defender did well.
On the contrary, Defender is used by many police and armed forced divisions today, like Italians. Because what else could you substitute it with that is capable, rugged and simple.
It would have to be something like the Hummer or Gwagen, but both are too expensive, complex and not as reliable. Then there is gas mileage. Just logistically, if you took a Hummer to the remote mountains, you would have to tow two 55gallon drum of gasoline with you.
Maybe there is something else??

But this is how badly the Defender formula is desired. A British billionaire hired 200 German engineers to try and bring back the Defender.
https://www.theguardian.com/business...rover-defender
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...-a7577911.html

Here is an American company showing how needed the Defender is.
https://ecdautodesign.com/

Moses, I agree the spy shots, which ironically are all over the JLR website look disgusting. I would not want one.
However, they just got some spyshots of the interior yesterday, and what's interesting is how the car is depicted in the dash graphics, god I want one of those, in olive, roll cage all around.

Last edited by Queen and Country; 06-25-2019 at 02:33 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Moses, I agree the spy shots, which ironically are all over the JLR website look disgusting. I would not want one.
However, they just got some spyshots of the interior yesterday, and what's interesting is how the car is depicted in the dash graphics, god I want one of those, in olive, roll cage all around.
Will be chintzy and dent easily; doesn't look like a Land Rover I want crossing the desert plains. I am withholding judgement until it's released. Mahindra makes more rugged looking SUV's than Land Rover.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:40 PM
Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts

Jaguar & Land Rover...

Bodacious Tata's! (.) (.)

I for one hope that they do sell off the Jaguar brand to another company.

Old 09-13-2019, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Will be chintzy and dent easily; doesn't look like a Land Rover I want crossing the desert plains. I am withholding judgement until it's released. Mahindra makes more rugged looking SUV's than Land Rover.
Oh Moses....

New Land Rover Defender blows the lights out!!

One durable capable car, good enough for the Queen and a Red Cross worker in Africa.

I knew they would- they invented the category of Durable Utility Vehicle. (79% of Defenders ever made, going back 40 years still on the road)

Which brings me to the point I would like to bounce off you. Our family dream is finally here, a vehicle built in the heirloom style of the 500sec, we could rely on the rest of our lives .The fact that it has greater wading depth than a Unimog! is irrelevant, but does speak to the thoughtfulness of design.
Its going to be good enough for the executive work, the donkey work and ability to take on very long journeys. (unlike the old defender)
Do you think it is what I am imaging when it comes to being able to hang on to it for 30 years?

Here is how it differs from your range rover. You will not wear these leather seats out going in and out. You can hose down the interior. And still could take a business meeting in it. The electronics and buttons are far more durable and easily replaceable. BTW its a large dog owner's dream, when you fold the seats down the bed has diamondplate. They thought of everything. More importantly by the looks of the seat design it tell me they thought of things that others just say tough luck to the customers.

BTW look at how those Germans twist the old pocketknife in the back. He says its too expensive. Keep in mind a Land Cruiser cost $5k more and a Jeep cost the same. Dont even ask about their GWagen.

Old 09-13-2019, 04:43 PM
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I am a Land Rover veteran, having purchased a brand new Land Rover 88 Series III in 1973. That was the most durable vehicle I have ever owned. We took it camping, hunting and fishing with ease. It was in our opinion unbeatable as an off road vehicle as well. We could get the interior quite dirty, built like a tank, it was an easy to clean, just hose off the interior with a bit of car wash soap and we were good to go again. They left the US market in '76. When they returned they did so as a "Luxury Vehicle" with leather seats air conditioning and other amenities totally unnecessary for use for the rugged use we put the old one through. The luxury car the new LR had become was overpriced and unavailable in the US its' basic form as are those supplied to The British Military. I hope that this time, they will think of us, who would consider the purchase of a basic Land Rover, without the luxury add ons.