XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Xk/xkr 2007?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 05:30 PM
Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Xk/xkr 2007?

Normally one would chat with your local Jag dealership for the information I'm going to ask. I currently have an absolutely perfect 2007 Vanden Plas which I want to be buried in. I was thinking about buying a convertible in addition to the Vanden Plas since I recently moved to Tucson, Arizona. I know what years of the XJ8's that had mechanical problems but I do not know about the XK's/ XKR's.

Can someone tell me if the 2007 XK is a good year/model or if I should look for something in a later year. Also, I'm not certain what the difference is between the XK and XKR. Yes, I'll see my local Jag dealership here in Tucson but I really trust the opinion of members in this group as you often deal with mechanical problems yourself rather than taking them to a shop.

Any information will be most appreciated. The car I'll buy will be under 20k miles on the odometer.

Dan Veenstra

Old 01-04-2017, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Every 2007 and newer XK is rock solid. The XKR adds the supercharger for a lot more fun.
The 2008 model is nearly identical sans the automatic telescoping aerial for the radio reception, where it has been relocated to inside the boot/spoiler.
If you want even MORE power, consider the 2010+ model year XKRs as they have the updated 5.0 supercharged engine. Some will say the 4.2 in the older models is more reliable, and they may be correct (see 'water pump problems'), but I've never had a lick of trouble with anything on my 2010 XKR.

The following users liked this post:
danveenstra (01-04-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,888 Likes on 1,282 Posts

Since the XK/XKR is no longer manufactured, you local Jag dealer is going to want to talk you into something current, like the F-type.

As a 2007 XK owner, I can say it puts a smile on my face every time I see it.
The main difference between the XK and XKR is that the XKR is supercharged, and in the 2007-2009 models, has 120 more HP than the XK (420 vs 300) in a 4.2L engine.
If you move to a 2010 or later car, you get a 5.0L engine, and more HP, but you trade the console shift stick, for a hockey puck.
There are cosmetic styling changes to the front end as you move up through the years, and the 2010+ cars have LED tail lights, vs the incandescent in the earlier cars.

Overall they are great cars, with low maintenance. A few niggles here and there. 2007-2009 thermostats can deform and need replacement, 2010+ water pumps can fail. And they are all susceptible to electrical gremlins if you let the battery go low.

Old 01-04-2017, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by danveenstra
Normally one would chat with your local Jag dealership for the information I'm going to ask. I currently have an absolutely perfect 2007 Vanden Plas which I want to be buried in. I was thinking about buying a convertible in addition to the Vanden Plas since I recently moved to Tucson, Arizona. I know what years of the XJ8's that had mechanical problems but I do not know about the XK's/ XKR's.

Can someone tell me if the 2007 XK is a good year/model or if I should look for something in a later year. Also, I'm not certain what the difference is between the XK and XKR. Yes, I'll see my local Jag dealership here in Tucson but I really trust the opinion of members in this group as you often deal with mechanical problems yourself rather than taking them to a shop.

Any information will be most appreciated. The car I'll buy will be under 20k miles on the odometer.

Dan Veenstra
Hey Dan. Good to see you on this forum. I converted from the SV8 to an 07 XK. I love the car and I'll try to give you my input as compared to your car, though there is no comparison. They're both Cats, but still two different animals as you can't compare a 4 door luxury sedan to a Grand Tourismo.

The 07 - 09 base XK's have the same 4.2 N/A engines and transmissions as your VDP. They have cats suspension but it's different than the x350 as it isn't air suspension.

The XKR is similar to the XJR and SV8 in terms of engine (Super charged).
in 2010, Jaguar implemented a 5.0 liter as Cee Jay notes, and unlike the 4.2 N/A and 4.2 S/C, it's a direct inject engine. As KJ points out, there are some styling changes through the years.

The XKR's have a stiffer ride than the base XK. They also have better low end torque and much more HP. Make no mistake, the ride is very comfortable but it's not air suspension. To that end, there are no headaches associated with it either.

You will find the same cooling system quirks and to a lesser extent - suspension bushes, headliner issues.

They sit about 2" lower that your VDP. There are some issues with dash leather pulling loose, which you can search here.

The car isn't quiet like your ride. It has a nice soothing rumble to it.

The 07 has a telescoping arial antenna reminiscent of the 80's for some reason. There are solutions for that and beginning in 08, Jaguar did away with it.

The 07 has wood/ leather steering wheel. I don't know when they moved away from that.

The XK/XKR don't have temp gauge, oil pressure gauge or battery voltage gauge which for me is very irritating.

The comm systems incorporate MOST technology vs D2B, so things like the Veff box bluetooth solution are not compatible.

The older models (07, 08) have some issues with phone connectivity with many phones. It's hit and miss.

I hope this helps. Apologies to Cee Jay and KJ if I repeated some info they already provided.

Last edited by Sean W; 01-04-2017 at 06:57 PM.
danveenstra (01-04-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 07:03 PM
Received 442 Likes on 185 Posts

2007 XK? Awesome
2007 XKR? OMG WTF BBQ AWESOME.

R is supercharged. Otherwise for the most part identical. DO NOT DRIVE THE R if you're considering an XK. Power corrupts absolutely. Not all 07's have wood steering wheels. Mine does not.

danveenstra (01-05-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Originally Posted by flyc2c
2007 XK? Awesome
2007 XKR? OMG WTF BBQ AWESOME.
........... DO NOT DRIVE THE R if you're considering an XK. Power corrupts absolutely..................
Exactly what he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^

danveenstra (01-05-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by flyc2c
DO NOT DRIVE THE R if you're considering an XK.
Could not agree more.
The first Jag I drove was a 2007 XKR, and even though it had been abused, it put a big toothy ear to ear grin on my face. Had to have one. Searched the country for one like it and came up empty, so I bought my XK in the same color combo. It looks great, but I was a little underwelmed at the acceleration when it arrived and I first drove it (still grinning though!).

danveenstra (01-05-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 09:11 PM

Thanks kj07xk, My V8 in the '07 Vanden Plas is plenty of power for me so I think I'll stay with the XK. I suspect it's the same engine as my '07. I have found that doing a total search in the states I can find several vehicles (XK's) with around 10,000 miles. I have never had a convertible so I'm really looking forward to this. Again, thanks for your input. Dan Veenstra

Old 01-04-2017, 09:21 PM

Sean, Thanks for your input. I felt the XK would not be comparable to the Vanden Plas but a fun car to drive with the top down. On the other hand, with the top down you will be hearing wind and other noises so what's the difference. I was looking at Bentley's but it seems as if there are maintenance issues that I don't want to look forward to. I think my wanting to have another low mileage luxury vehicle would be best served with my staying with Jaguar. I have a '54 Chevrolet Truck show vehicle I'm going to sell so hopefully the new convertible will be in my garage within 6 months. Again, thank you for your very thorough listing of information. Dan Veenstra

Old 01-05-2017, 03:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 314 Posts

Excellent responses. Two things specific to convertibles:

- there is a member here, the JagWrangler, who sells an aftermarket kit that allows one-press top lowering, remote top lowering, and you can put up the rear windows when the top is down. If you're at all mechanically inclined (it's a self-install), buy this.
- GET A WIND DEFLECTOR. Either search for a Jag model on Ebay or get an aftermarket one from someplace like Mina Gallery. Either way, you're talking $300-350. THIS WILL BE THE BEST INVESTMENT YOU WILL MAKE. Seriously - it will make a huge difference in your top-down experience.
Have fun!

The following 3 users liked this post by pk4144:
danveenstra (01-05-2017), kj07xk (01-05-2017), ralphwg (01-05-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 04:45 AM

Thanks. Yes, I learned about letting batteries go low in the Vanden Plas. When it's pulled in the garage I immediately plug in the mini charger.

Old 01-05-2017, 04:51 AM

Now you have me going on the XKR. Thanks, I guess.

Old 01-05-2017, 04:56 AM

Good tip on the accessories for the top. I will save this information and follow your suggestions. Thanks again. Dan

Old 01-05-2017, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I do in order:
2010+ XKR
2010+ XK
2007+ XKR
2007+ XK

I would start at 2008 to avoid the antenna and Taurus wing front grill. All comes down to how much you want to spend or condition vs. model year.

ralphwg (01-05-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 09:33 AM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The base 2007 XK is a fabulous car in its own right. It has plenty of power for its intended purpose as a grand tourer. The cabin is a lovely place to be, comfortable, good use of space for two people, quiet and refined for a convertible.

Issues are few, well known and therefore relatively easy and economical to fix. Most owners actually find these cars perfectly reliable, if looked after as they should be.

Younger cars had more bells and whistles. If that's what you want fine, but the standard article is still terrific.

Tim

Old 01-05-2017, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,133 Likes on 3,380 Posts

Dan,
Since your primary search criteria is a convertible with under 20K miles, and because these cars are quite rare, I recommend that you expand your search to all 4.2L models (2007-2009) nationwide as you will increase the odds of finding "the one" with low mileage. Don't worry about how far away it may be, as you can arrange for a local Jaguar dealer to do a Pre-Purchase Inspection prior to sealing the deal. Good luck with your search, and be patient as it might take some time to find "the one".

+1 on The Jag Wrangler's remote control soft top kit with the optional rear window control (and the wind blocker). I installed the kit myself, and if I can do it so can you - if you can read English and follow instructions. Lots of threads on this subject.

Stuart

Old 01-05-2017, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

Another +1 on The Jag Wrangler's remote control soft top kit with the optional rear window control.
I actually bought the kit and it was delivered before my car arrived from across the country. Best modification I've made to the car. Took me about 3 hours to install, but that's because my car came with an OEM wind deflector, which has some brackets between the rear seats. Steve's (aka WhiteXKR, aka TheJagWrangler) instructions didn't mention them (at that time, current instructions do), so I was going nuts trying to get the rear seat backs out (and back in). I was taking my time (only had the car a short while, and didn't want to mess it up), so if I were to do it again, I'm sure I could cut that time in half.

And yes, if the car doesn't come with a wind deflector (mine did), get one, you won't regret it when on the highway.
It, combined with the ability to put the rear windows up (from Steve's kit), make cruising on the highway with the top down a pleasant journey (and your wife's hair will thank you).

Old 01-05-2017, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

Another +1 on the deflector and the remote top control. I have seen that there are several members of this forum who will go out and look at a car for you for a preliminary opinion if it located not too far from the member. Good hunting and be patient and you will get what you want.