Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

XK to XKR add ons?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts
Default XK to XKR add ons?

I'm in the mkt for an 07 or 08 XK. Can't afford the XKRs but I really like the XKR hood vents and rear exhaust treatment.

Are XKR type hood vents available for application to 07 and up XKs? Seems like that would be something in demand.

Same question for a quad exhaust treatment for the XKs.

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:28 PM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

the bonnet would be a straight swop,the panel on the rear bumper would have the be changed to make room for the quad pipes,

the xkr comes with active valves which are closed by a vacuum pump,so you would have the loud exhaust all the time

Old 02-19-2012, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member

What I had in mind was a fake chrome exhaust tip attached to each of the current tips with a shortened valence in between the pair to make room. Perhaps an XKR valence would bolt right up.

Sounds like fake hood vents are a "bridge too far".

I do like the idea of a chrome ring around the headlight enclosures but they only come in $150 kits from Welsch that include chrome rings for the tail lights as well. I would like to see pictures of that if anybody has any.

IMHO the rear end needs no add'l bling. Maybe somebody out there would like tail light rings for $50 if I bought the complete kit. lol

Last edited by tarhealcracker; 02-20-2012 at 04:20 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:03 AM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Mina

I believe the mina Gallery exhaust that has beautifully sculpted quad pipes fits both the XK and XKR.

Worth looking into. I've heard only good things about the barritone sound it produces.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:58 PM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Seems like cheating, not least because the hood vents say "supercharged' on them. You'd also be devaluing your car for resale, judging from what I've seen on other websites.

Also do you really want to go from being a lucky owner of a nice XK (i.e. someone with discernment and good taste) to the type of person that to any Jag enthusiast would consider as fake as a $10 'Rolex'.

Be happy with what you've got. XKs are nice cars in their own right.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

^^ I'm all for personalization and performance mods, but I'm with JN on this one. "Bling" is not XK friendly IMHO.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member

Oh God. I'm so ashamed. I know now that quad exhausts and chrome headlight rings on my XK are an indictment of my character. Thanks to the "Dudley Do Right" boys I repent the error of my ways. LOL

Come on guys. How bad can it be. How about if I just put some very small flames out the side vents?

Seriously, the hood vents with Super Charged logo are too much, I agree. But a faux quad exhaust can't be so bad. What if I got a note from Top Gear?

Old 02-20-2012, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tarhealcracker
Come on guys. How bad can it be..... What if I got a note from Top Gear?
Clarkson would be a tough sell.... Bet you could get Richard to sign off on it though....
Hang in there as shes your baby, not mine..... Everything else is just an opinion. Personally, I'm still reveling in the shear glory of owning an XK, yet alone looking at ways to change her.

My priorities will be decent rims and tires... I mean, I just weighted the rears...64Lbs! Are you kidding me? 64? Wow! Now there is room for improvement....

peace!
Vince

Old 02-20-2012, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Parts..make it real

I'll sell you a complete stainless steal dual tipped exhaust system and the chrome super charger louvers for 1600.00

You just have to cover shipping from Ontario Canada..this way you have the real deal and a performance upgrade

These come off my 2009XKR just traded for an Aston Martin...loved the Jag..especially with this exhaust

Old 02-21-2012, 04:57 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the offer Stewman. I really would love to take up up on it but I can't justify the expense.

Guys, I really don't want to disguise my XK as an XKR. For that reason I would not install faux super charger logo hood vents or R badges on the rear. I just thought that for folks who lust after the quad exhaust look there was an easy solution. My bet is that somebody is going to come forth with a faux quad exhaust kit any day now. As regards functionality, the side vents (gills) serve no useful purpose either - do they?

Vince - the weight of those rear wheel/tires is quite hard on some old bodies. For that reason I designed a simple appliance for remounting them, finding the lug holes, without killing my back. No. It's not a can of spray on hair. The way some of you blokes think!!!

Old 02-21-2012, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

Vince - the weight of those rear wheel/tires is quite hard on some old bodies. For that reason I designed a simple appliance for remounting them, finding the lug holes, without killing my back. No. It's not a can of spray on hair. The way some of you blokes think!!!
I'm stuck with what I have tire and rim wise for right now and fortunately the Michelin's that came on the car are pretty new so I have time to save up a bit first. I have no doubt I can trim 10+ lbs off every corner with a quality set of rims... Considering how well the XK already handles, I can hardly wait to shed some of that outlandish unsprung weight.
Before the XK, the heavist factory combo I ever saw was a ridiculous 57lbs. I'm more use to the 45lb range after a performance set of rims were installed. Not sure I'll get that far with the XK, but I still see room for serious improvement.

Vince

BTW, is the XK exhaust stainless?

Old 02-24-2012, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

Vince,

While doing a rear brake job I took the opportunity to weigh a rear tire/wheel on a bathroom scale. It came in at a whopping 59 pounds. Dang!

My tires are brand new 275/40ZR18 Continentals. Who knew. No wonder the damn things were breaking my back.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Vince,

While doing a rear brake job I took the opportunity to weigh a rear tire/wheel on a bathroom scale. It came in at a whopping 59 pounds. Dang!

My tires are brand new 275/40ZR18 Continentals. Who knew. No wonder the damn things were breaking my back.
The weight is one of the price we pay for using 19 and 20" wheels. They have very short tire sidewalls that are insufficient for properly protecting the rim under normal street/highway driving. So, they make the rims heavy like tanks, hoping that they will stand up to the hits they take over pavement joints and potholes. 60 lbs of unsprung weight is insane!!!

On my other performance car I use similar sized, 275 tires but, on 17" wheels and the weight is 29lbs, tire+wheel, both included. That is a weight savings of over 100 lbs and the handling is still out of this world.

Going to those large wheels, short tire sidewalls is the worst trend in automotive technology. And, we have not even discussed the ride qualities.

Albert

Old 02-25-2012, 02:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by axr6
On my other performance car I use similar sized, 275 tires but, on 17" wheels and the weight is 29lbs, tire+wheel, both included.

Going to those large wheels, short tire sidewalls is the worst trend in automotive technology. And, we have not even discussed the ride qualities.

Albert
Have to agree 100% with you on the growing trend of "big rim looks" as opposed to "vehicle performance". Ranks right up there with HID bulbs in Halogen housings, and bright LED's lighting up your cockpit while driving at night. (That's not entirely true, as the HID's seriously blind other drivers, and the glowing LEDs displays in their face destroy night vision, making them dangerous cars to share the road with. Despite reduced handling at least big rims only hurt the car owner.)

Not sure what rim/tire combo your using, but my 17" Ultraleggeras (weighing 17.5lbs) with Bridgestone's high performance RE-11 (235/45-17's) mounted, balanced and TPMS sensors still weighed in at 40lbs.

I hope to get off my factory 19's and go to 18" lightweight's, but I doubt it will happen before summer hits.
You never know, I had my fillings jarred pretty good by a pothole earlier this week. If I had to replace a factory rim for some reason, that would be enough incentive for me to knuckle down and get a good set of rims instead.

Vince

Last edited by CleverName; 02-25-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
Not sure what rim/tire combo your using, but my 17" Ultraleggeras (weighing 17.5lbs) with Bridgestone's high performance RE-11 (235/45-17's) mounted, balanced and TPMS sensors still weighed in at 40lbs.

I hope to get off my factory 19's and go to 18" lightweight's, but I doubt it will happen before summer hits.

Vince
Vince
The car, I mentioned, is my third generation '93 Mazda RX-7, one of the purest sport car to ever hit the road. It came stock with 16", 8"-wide wheels that weighted a featherly 13 lbs. With the special, Mazda-spec Yokohama tires it was at 25 lbs. When I was racing it, I went to 17" x 9.5"-wide wheels with R compound racing tires. The wheels weighted 15 lbs and were custom made by ForgeLine. I totaled that particular 7 but, kept the wheels and they are on my present one. Actually, now that I think, I have not measured the weight with the present Sumitomo tires, what I posted were the weights with the street R tires that were super light.

These 15 lbs wheels, even though they were made for racing, are still standing up just fine to all kinds of race and street driving. 19 years old, as of now.

Having said that, your Ultraleggeras are super light. Not sure if any, short of a custom made racing wheel, could beat those weights.

As a racer for decades, I was very, no extremely, aware of weight. The common saying amongst racers was that, "a true racer would sell his Mother in exchange for a 10 lbs weight saving off their race cars". I simply shook my head over the years when I observed people trading in their fairly light factory wheels for some fancy-looking wheels that would weight nearly twice as much. But, with all honesty, the average street driver would likely never notice the performance differences while they would get more reward out of the "looks" of the new set.

Albert

Old 02-26-2012, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member

As regards the weight of tire/wheel combinations - I guess the wheel width and wheel design is a larger predictor than aspect ratio. For instance, I notice that the wheel center structure is way outboard (offset?) and that the inner portion of the wheel is largely unsupported. That necessitates a lot of add'l metal to keep the wheels from bending than in the old days of skinny tires.

Moreover, I note that my rear wheels, which are wider than the fronts by 1 inch, are "dished" about 1 inch, no doubt to provide some stress relief.

Mind you, I'm way out of my pay grade on this. Either way, 59# wheel/tires is an eye opener.