XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XKR Back window disconnecting from convert top

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts
Default XKR Back window disconnecting from convert top

Hi Forum,

It's been a while. On my XKR, the rear window has pulled away from the top. I was wondering if I have to replace the top, maybe get it glued back or maybe I can fix it myself. I'm attaching pictures and, as always, truly appreciate you guys feedback. Oh, one more thing, need to buy a new battery as well. I noticed the center display will "reboot" for about 5 minutes or so before it sets and I can see the touch screen controls, etc. When I charge the battery overnight, which is frequently now, that doesn't seem to happen. What do you guys recommend as the best battery I should get. I'm AZ so its a gazillion degrees here for 7 months out of the year. Thanks forum

Last edited by bklynchris; 08-22-2017 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Old 08-22-2017, 11:21 PM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

YouTube has lot's of video on fixing convertible tops. Maybe one of them might work for you. Let us know what you decide to do.

The following users liked this post:
bklynchris (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 11:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,888 Likes on 1,282 Posts

Search this forum, others have DIY and have posted pictures and tips.

bklynchris (08-22-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,136 Likes on 3,382 Posts

Search for Suck-N-Clamp and look for my posts with detailed instructions and pictures. I'd post the link, but I'm replying from my cell and can't. I'll post it when I get home and can do it from my PC. I just did mine and it was an easy DIY fix. I have already sold my clamps, etc.,, so my offer is no longer available.

bklynchris (08-23-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 10:28 AM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

You can fix it Chris, search the forum to see the how to's. Be sure to get the correct glue and clamps. I had mine done by a local guy recommended by my Jaguar tech. I noticed the first thing he did was use a razor blade to scratch (not scrape) off the old glue. Then he glued the fold under back to the top and finally the glass to the top.

bklynchris (08-23-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Search for Suck-N-Clamp and look for my posts with detailed instructions and pictures. I'd post the link, but I'm replying from my cell and can't. I'll post it when I get home and can do it from my PC. I just did mine and it was an easy DIY fix. I have already sold my clamps, etc.,, so my offer is no longer available.
Following up, here's the link: See my post #105 https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...p-97478/page6/

bklynchris (08-30-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Following up, here's the link: See my post #105 https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...p-97478/page6/
Thanks Stuart. I checked your post and although you stated it was easy, I thought I'd just go an let the professionals do it. However, my wife, ( who's stingy..lol) and son have convinced me to do it myself. So that'll be my weekend father and son project. Thanks for the help buddy. I'll post some pictures after we're done!

Old 08-30-2017, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member

Chris,

It's an easy DIY fix only if you use the Suck-N-Clamps. Just take your time to thoroughly mask everywhere that you don't want adhesive to get on, because you can't get it completely off. Just follow the instructions in my posts on the other thread and use those 3M products and you'll be pleased with the results.

Stuart

Old 08-30-2017, 10:12 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Let me second Stuart's advice!
My window was falling in on the LHS and I was due to head Eastwards for a week, towards Harvey and what was certain to be much heavy rain. (As it turns out, Harvey decided to change direction just enough to avoid us in Mt Pleasant). Anyway I had a couple of hours before leaving to fix the window. Using Stuart's detailed explanation, with duplicates of his clamps, cleaner, primer etc. I proceeded to attempt the necessary fix.
In my haste, being keen to get the job done, I forgot about the primer stage and went straight from glue removal to glue application. Fortunately even with this step omitted the reattached window has survived the trip and appears to be waterproof!
So, go ahead with the DIY, sounds like you can achieve two bondings with one job, physical and generational.

As I wrote in a different post, I recently started having battery issues. In this (temporary) Texas outpost there is not a lot of choice - I visited WalMart. The guys there informed me, upon opening the trunk, that the battery fluid was boiling, and their instruments measured a measly 8.something volts. Anyway ... 30 minutes and $136 bucks later we had been fitted with an Everstart 5-year H8 900CCA battery (no AGM version in stock) and the electronics are gradually returning to normal.