XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Xkr brake calipers

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xkr brake calipers

Just took delivery of my 2008 XKR, and notice that on the break calipers, the "R" seems faded and was wondering are these replaceable. My dealer told me that I have to replace the whole calipers which I found odd, can someone suggest where I can find this without spending a fortune?
Thx for ur help!

Old 06-12-2011, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Try Dan in the parts dept at Nalley Jaguar in Roswell, GA

Originally Posted by BEBE JAG

Just took delivery of my 2008 XKR, and notice that on the break calipers, the "R" seems faded and was wondering are these replaceable. My dealer told me that I have to replace the whole calipers which I found odd, can someone suggest where I can find this without spending a fortune?
Thx for ur help!

Old 06-13-2011, 07:21 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

you may want to try cleaning them....as a side note maybe a nice new red recoat would be in order (you could prollay get someone to match original paint as well...but may be expensive). I haven't looked at my R's but I do recall them being very understated. I have Alcons to replace my R's factory brakes and the Alcons are...wait for it....red. Very classy color (white) on that jag by the way BeBe...would look good with red calipers...but maybe not your thing...kind of a boy racer thing ya know...most of us were born like this (not necessarily a good thing)...just sayin...

Old 06-13-2011, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,171 Likes on 3,393 Posts

Originally Posted by gdrag
you may want to try cleaning them....as a side note maybe a nice new red recoat would be in order (you could prollay get someone to match original paint as well...but may be expensive). I haven't looked at my R's but I do recall them being very understated. I have Alcons to replace my R's factory brakes and the Alcons are...wait for it....red. Very classy color (white) on that jag by the way BeBe...would look good with red calipers...but maybe not your thing...kind of a boy racer thing ya know...most of us were born like this (not necessarily a good thing)...just sayin...
gdrag - what year is your XKR? My 2009 Portfolio also has the Alcon brake package (crescent drilled rotors/6-piston front calipers), but no spare. Do you know where to get a space-saver (donut) spare that will clear the rotors and fit in the trunk? Thanks.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:50 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi Stuart...I have read that the spare does not fit with the Alcon brakes and the factory simply provides a fix a flat kit (yeah...bet that's a joke) but I have no personal experience with this as I am adding my Alcons (and the crescent rotors as well) over the R brakes. I would assume that you could get the factory spare to clear the back rotor....the front rotor clearance appears to be the problem. I have not mounted the Alcons and have not tried the existing spare (I have read it in fact doesn't work on the front) but if I were a guessin man (I am) I would say you could probably get a wheel that would work that would easily fit in the spare compartment. Just buy a alloy wheel that is very narrow that will fit over that huge front rotor (my guess is that you will need a 20 inch wheel) with the right offset....talk to your friendly local tire/wheel shop....paint it orange and wah lah....you have a Jaguar spare. I can say that spares have never done me any good though as the last time I needed one, I needed two...go figure. This is why I can't believe guys are putting on lower profile tires than those 20's....I can vouch it is pretty easy to flat those boys on one sneaky (around the corner) pothole.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart S (06-14-2011)
Old 06-14-2011, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,171 Likes on 3,393 Posts

Thanks, gdrag. Not only did the Jaguar factory provide a can of fix-a-flat goop, they also thoughtfully provided a 12v air pump as standard equipment with the Alcon brake package. (I had to provide my own bible to pray I'd never get a flat.) Good suggestion about checking with my local high performance tire company to see if they have a spare wheel/tire that would fit.