XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XKR radio aerial question

Old 05-01-2019, 02:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 794 Likes on 510 Posts

Topix lists that car as a 2007MY car. It normally lists build specs too but they are missing for that car.

You have probably looked already but Carjam says that it was registered in March 2008 and has been in NZ since June 2017.

It looks quite gangster with the black wheels and tinted windows and the red calipers look good too. It has adaptive cruise as well which is a nice addition.

I haven't had all the work done you listed earlier so can't guide you on prices but it looks like a sensible maintenance list.

Old 05-01-2019, 02:57 AM
Received 35 Likes on 9 Posts

The other one I drove was also very tidy and had tan leather and wood finish interior, thought I would like that but when sitting inside felt like I was driving an old armchair.

It also has a noticeable vibration coming through the feet in passenger footwell which was also perceptible on the steering wheel, could have been just wheel balance on front passenger side but considering it has been the dealers personal drive car I felt disappointed his answer was a dismissive probably just a wheel balance issue. Given he's been driving it for a few months you would think he would have had that investigated and repaired.

I do like the black on black look and was surprised how much I liked the black leather and aluminium interior, it looked contemporary and like a sports car should.

The car was very nicely presented and well groomed, much more so that the tan leather one on the dealers yard.

But at the end of the day, take that black out paint work away and its just a 2007 XKR with an ugly aerial and there are some very nice unmodified examples for sale in NZ at the moment for less money.

The black on black car had less seat controls, I really liked the seat controls on the tan leather car as I could adjust the bolsters to get snug and secure feeling.

The lack of adjustable bolsters made me feel like I would slide around the seat a bit on hard cornering.

The black on black car appears to have a had a respray on the bonnet forward but its very hard to spot the colour change also the rear parcel tray has some issues staying on, those were the only issues I spotted in my short 1 hour walk around and drive.

You were right about the tyres, the rear Yokogawa's are fairly new, just the older Dunlop Sportsmaxx on the front will need changing sooner.

How do you know the blacked out one had adaptive cruise control?, I did not see that feature in the car anywhere?

Also it had a button on console "ASL" not sure what that one does, it brings up a weird clock symbol on dash?.

Old 05-01-2019, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by u102768 View Post
Topix lists that car as a 2007MY car. It normally lists build specs too but they are missing for that car.

You have probably looked already but Carjam says that it was registered in March 2008 and has been in NZ since June 2017.
Thanks for looking that up, I did not think to look up carjam, have now and some good background info there. Never heard of Topix but did a search ,it looks to be a dealer portal for tech help.

Old 05-01-2019, 04:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
The other one I drove was also very tidy and had tan leather and wood finish interior, thought I would like that but when sitting inside felt like I was driving an old armchair.

I do like the black on black look and was surprised how much I liked the black leather and aluminium interior, it looked contemporary and like a sports car should.
I always associated Jags with light leather and acres of wood and my previous XJ's have been like that but, like you, I felt that the black and aluminium interior really suits the X150. The one you are looking at is actually identical to the one I sold (apart from the tints and calipers).

...also the rear parcel tray has some issues staying on
That isn't uncommon and should be reasonably easy to fix.

How do you know the blacked out one had adaptive cruise control?, I did not see that feature in the car anywhere?
It has two toggle wheels on the right hand side of the steering wheel. Standard cruise only has one.

Also it had a button on console "ASL" not sure what that one does, it brings up a weird clock symbol on dash?.
Automatic Speed Limiter. You set the maximum speed you want to go at and the car will accelerate up to that speed. After that it won't go any faster unless you use kick down.

Old 05-01-2019, 04:36 AM

Wow!!, then your one selling at 37 k a year ago was a excellent deal. Did yours have black alloys as well?

ASL, makes senses, not sure I would use that often in Auckland traffic, A 30 minute test drive today involved 15 minutes queuing at traffic lights and the rest below the speed limit bumper to bumper. Did not get to experience the open road feeling I was looking for. Given it was my first experience behind the wheel of a XKR it was disappointing But super comfortable to sit back in, fantastic driving position and pretty good head room for a tall driver as well.

Was not to worried about the parcel shelf, should not be to hard to jimmy something up.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:17 AM
Veteran Member

Did yours have black alloys as well?
Sorry, no. I really meant that they would have been pretty much identical when they left the factory.

If you could stretch to a 5 litre XKR, that is a whole different experience

Old 05-02-2019, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by u102768 View Post
Sorry, no. I really meant that they would have been pretty much identical when they left the factory.

If you could stretch to a 5 litre XKR, that is a whole different experience
You know I have considered that just for a little more I could possibly get into a 5 L but it would be an early one with higher k's on the clock.

My first ever drive of the 4.2 SC a couple of days ago was very nice but as I often drive a Lexus ISF I have been spoiled for handling and acceleration.

The XKR felt a lot more comfortable than the ISF but not as responsive.

Of course the XKR is a stunning looking bit of kit and I must admit I have been in awe of the design since forever.

So the 5 L XKR, what was your reason for upgrading from the 07 XKR?

For sure you are getting a better ride when you give it some jandal but any other reasons you traded up?

Old 05-02-2019, 06:05 AM
Veteran Member

All my Jags have been daily drivers. I had owned the 4.2L for around 5 years and my eye started wandering. I was waiting for the prices of the 5 litre F Types to drop but they were stubbornly staying over $100,000. A 5 litre XKR appeared on the market locally so I dropped in to have a look at it while I was passing by. It ticked all the boxes and I was offered a really good trade-up deal on it so it was a bit of a no brainer.

The power is next level, especially with the mods I have had done to it and it is an all round better car than my 4.2 litre. More power, better interior, better handling. The only thing the 4.2 litre probably wins on is exhaust note. Other than that, I have absolutely no regrets.

If you want a little more power out of the 4.2 litre, you can change the super charger pulley and get a tune. That should add 30-40bhp and high flow cats will give you a bit more along with a louder exhaust note.

Old 05-09-2019, 01:05 AM

I want to thank everyone for providing such a great resource and to those that offered their invaluable advice while I searched for the right car.

Tomorrow I am flying down to Christchurch to collect my new Black 08 XKR and then spend 2 days driving it home on a 1000 km road trip.

So looking forward to it, been a long time since I have done that road trip and have never done it in such a perfect car.

So from a first time owner of a Jag, see you all on the other side

Old 05-09-2019, 04:54 AM
Veteran Member

Is that the one from Chris Bird? If so I have driven past it many times on the way to sail my racing dingy. It looks like a nice car from the photos.

Enjoy the drive back. My previous XKR came from Auckland but I had it shipped down. I did drive my 04 XJ8 back from Wellington though when I bought it.

Old 05-09-2019, 05:16 AM

Don't know if its the same one mate, its completely original ,unmodified on 19" senta's , black leather and wood trim.

One owner, done 12k since landing from Japan in 2015. This one also was sold out of Auckland originally.

You've probably got it listed on a spread sheet somewhere from when the Auckland dealers first advertised it in early 2015

You racing skiffs, J14's or Finns?

I look after our junior fleet at my local yacht club, might see you on the water some time.

Old 05-09-2019, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 772 Likes on 627 Posts

on 19" senta's
You should be happy to hear that Sentas are actually 20.
Congrats! Enjoy the drive!

Old 05-09-2019, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 675 Likes on 587 Posts

Congratulations and welcome aboard. Pictures please.

Old 05-10-2019, 02:19 AM
Veteran Member

Don't know if its the same one mate, its completely original ,unmodified on 19" senta's , black leather and wood trim.

One owner, done 12k since landing from Japan in 2015. This one also was sold out of Auckland originally.
Sounds like a really nice car and, like the others, look forward to seeing pics.

You racing skiffs, J14's or Finns?
Lasers. I have been racing them for around 3 years. This weekend is the last one of the season and I am top of the points at the moment but that is probably more to do with regular attendance than skill!

Old 05-10-2019, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by kj07xk View Post
You should be happy to hear that Sentas are actually 20.
Congrats! Enjoy the drive!
Apologies, its has 19"Jupiters, I confused the car with a couple I drive last week that had 20" Senta's, actually I prefer the stance on 20" wheels but the one I decided to buy has 19" wheels and given I live in an country area with loads of poor quality sealed but rough roads I figured the the 19" will probably get a better life as pretty sure I would end up bending 20"rims within a few months.