XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

XKR salvage question

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 04:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XKR salvage question

hi, i recently saw a 2012 XKR "salvage" (its only missing the front bumper, the hood is damaged and the left fender is slightly damaged. and possibly the radiator might need changing, as its also damaged a little. ) and i was wondering how much these would cost me to fix at a jaguar dealership using parts from them and how much it would cost me to buy the parts and have someone replace them, as i cant find any parts to this car.

-quazar

Old 09-26-2013, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by quazar
hi, i recently saw a 2012 XKR "salvage" (its only missing the front bumper, the hood is damaged and the left fender is slightly damaged. and possibly the radiator might need changing, as its also damaged a little. ) and i was wondering how much these would cost me to fix at a jaguar dealership using parts from them and how much it would cost me to buy the parts and have someone replace them, as i cant find any parts to this car.

-quazar
If this is the car, there has been some controversary over this car.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140886317631...84.m1438.l2649

Otherwise, if it's not. beware of salvage titles, and there is allot of posts here on these forums about salvage titles. Be especially aware of Hurricane Sandy salt water damage. These cars are now all over the country for sale.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:41 PM

Richzak, its not that car, thank god, that thing is beyond repair. but im affraid of getting it(the one im talking about) and the parts i listed end up costing me over 10 - 15k. ive always heard salvages are a big gamble, but on this one, i dont see it as it seems that the damage is only cosmetic

Old 09-27-2013, 08:21 AM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
If this is the car, there has been some controversary over this car.

2012 Jaguar XKRS XKR s Complete Front Nose Bumper Hood Cooling Rad Support Light | eBay

Otherwise, if it's not. beware of salvage titles, and there is allot of posts here on these forums about salvage titles. Be especially aware of Hurricane Sandy salt water damage. These cars are now all over the country for sale.
I'm trying to buy the seats and exhaust from that guy...

Old 09-27-2013, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Technically, I don't think it's going to be hard, but I bet those pieces if new are going to be a lot of money. Can you find the pieces used, you need to replace?

Jag dealer will have a win fall if source them direct from dealership

Old 09-27-2013, 03:33 PM

the thing is, i cant even find these parts at all, new or used. i see a lot of 2010 and 2011 side fenders and bumpers, but never for a 2012 XKR. i dont want to get it and end up paying a lot for them, as i know jag parts are not cheap

Old 09-28-2013, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

the thing is, i cant even find these parts at all, new or used. i see a lot of 2010 and 2011 side fenders and bumpers, but never for a 2012 XKR. i dont want to get it and end up paying a lot for them, as i know jag parts are not cheap
If you are replacing the whole front end, you should be able to fit 2010 pieces instead.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:44 AM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
I'm trying to buy the seats and exhaust from that guy...
apparently he's only selling the front clip :/

Old 09-29-2013, 10:31 AM
Received 87 Likes on 37 Posts

AFAIK Jaguar restrict the supply of new body panels to their 'approved' Dealership bodyshops. The official line is because of the difficulty of working with aluminum panels.....

That in turn tends to inflate the price of used panels.

OP: Do a search on this forum. There is a thread about the ambitious (and successful!) rebuild of a crunched XK/XKR.

The following users liked this post:
gjjaguar (11-27-2013)
Old 10-07-2013, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by JeremyB
AFAIK Jaguar restrict the supply of new body panels to their 'approved' Dealership bodyshops. The official line is because of the difficulty of working with aluminum panels.....

That in turn tends to inflate the price of used panels.

OP: Do a search on this forum. There is a thread about the ambitious (and successful!) rebuild of a crunched XK/XKR.

do you know what the tread is called?

Old 10-08-2013, 02:12 PM
Received 87 Likes on 37 Posts

Well, it was only a few down from your thread, but here you go:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...008-xkr-80401/

The originator of that thread has some serious car-fixing skillz...

Old 10-10-2013, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by JeremyB
Well, it was only a few down from your thread, but here you go:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...008-xkr-80401/

The originator of that thread has some serious car-fixing skillz...
i saw that tread, but i thought you were refering to a 2012 xkr project

Old 11-20-2013, 02:48 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If it's "only missing the front bumper, the hood is damaged and the left fender is slightly damaged. and possibly the radiator might need changing" , Then why is it a salvage?

Structural body parts for aluminum cars have to be bought by authorized body shops. Fenders, bumpers and hood can be bought right at the dealer.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hi, i recently saw a 2012 XKR "salvage" (its only missing the front bumper, the hood is damaged and the left fender is slightly damaged. and possibly the radiator might need changing, as its also damaged a little. ) and i was wondering how much these would cost me to fix at a jaguar dealership using parts from them and how much it would cost me to buy the parts and have someone replace them, as i cant find a
-quazar
I've been in touch with this ebay seller for the XKR I'm rebuilding, though I have not bought anything from him yet. Ebay ID is jag-land-UK. I'm sure shipping overseas won't be cheap but should be less than buying outright from your local dealer.

Depending on the initial investment to buy the salvage car, it could be a great deal but you'll have a hard time selling it if that's your intention. I plan to keep mine for a long time so I'm not concerned about the title.

Good luck.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:49 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

-quazar
crazy it is considered salvage after that....

what determines if it a salvage or not?

Old 11-25-2013, 08:47 AM
Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by desert_fox
crazy it is considered salvage after that....

what determines if it a salvage or not?
Generally they will salvage the car if the value to replace exceeds a certain percentage of the cars worth. Also events such as flooding I believe will automatically render the title salvaged.

Also, just looking at some QUICK numbers.....

-Front bumper (excluding all inserts, sensors etc..) - $1052
-Front bumper grilles & fillers - $400-500
-Hood - $1575
-Hood Vents - $120
-Left Fender - $698
-Fender Apron (upper rail, reinforcement and inner) - $226,$55,$136
-Radiator - $760
-Paint - $2500 est.

**if hood and fender are damaged, I am almost certain there is damage to the upper crossmember and rail reinforcement
-Upper C member - $226
-Rail Reinforcement - $107

** If radiator is damaged, what about the two oiler coolers that are mounted in front of it?
-$990 each (x2)

On top of all of this, you will have dealership labor costs and part mark up to cover shipping costs etc.. ...They may need to lift the engine to do that fender apron repair. Or at minimum strut tower structure removal.

Labor excluded, these parts alone total to just under $10,000, add shipping costs for the dealer and/or dealer parts markup and dealer labor,... you're looking at an expensive repair which may explain why it received a salvage title.

I actually purchased a low mileage salvaged xkr a few months ago, my repairs are just about complete and I have very little money invested in replacement parts, I was lucky enough to find all the parts I need to complete the repairs myself. All said and done, my total cost including parts, tools & purchase of the car will be just over half the cost of what the car would run if I were to have bought one from a dealer. If you send me pictures of the car in question, I could probably get you a better idea of the repairs involved. Are you planning on completing repairs yourself or have jaguar complete them?

Last edited by M6XKR; 11-25-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:43 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have to ask such questions, then you have no basis to deal with what you might find. Leave this to those who know what they might be getting into.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:20 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Qwikkitty
If you have to ask such questions, then you have no basis to deal with what you might find. Leave this to those who know what they might be getting into.
What is the purpose of your post? Isn't this a forum where those of us who need help can get advice from people who have the knowledge? I have a ton of questions about my own rebuild but maybe I'll just keep them to myself.