Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

For you convert guys

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts
Default For you convert guys

Does anyone know or can they tell me where the proximity sensors are when you remove the top shield in the boot. Do I assume it is a magnetic sensor as I can't seem to find any type of switch on either side of the plastic rail. Also is there 2 switches or 1.
( I realize you are not supposed to put the top down without the screen in place but I have other motives for doing it)

Old 01-31-2016, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,141 Likes on 3,384 Posts

The soft top guru is WhiteXKR (Steve, a.k.a. TheJagWrangler), the designer and manufacturer of the amazing DIY remote soft top kit. Hopefully, he will see your question and reply. Otherwise, you may want to PM him.

I hope you don't cause more problems that it's worth by putting the top down without the luggage separator in its proper place. The Owner's Handbook states: "Do not attempt to open the convertible top manually, as damage to the linkage mechanism may occur."

I'm curious about why you want to do this.

Old 01-31-2016, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

From the service manual:

The Luggage separator position sensor is a Hall effect sensor located on the LH luggage
separator housing bracket. The sensor informs the control module of when the separator is in
the correct position. When the separator is in the correct position there is enough space in the
luggage compartment to stow the convertible top when open.

The following users liked this post:
jagtoes (01-31-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,894 Likes on 1,285 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
The Luggage separator position sensor is a Hall effect sensor located on the LH luggage
separator housing bracket.
Yep, had to remove those brackets to get the liner out of the trunk to do my LED taillight install, and run wiring for my back up camera, and I do recall a sensor and wires on the back side of the bracket.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
From the service manual:

separator housing bracket. The sensor informs the control module of when the separator is in
the correct position. When the separator is in the correct position there is enough space in the
luggage compartment to stow the convertible top when open.
Thanks , not having the service manual this is what I was looking for. Looks like a magnet can fool the circuit. I'll have to look for it.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

Jagtoes - Why don't you download the owner's handbook/manual? Here's the link: Jaguar.handbook.downloads

Old 01-31-2016, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
The soft top guru is WhiteXKR (Steve, a.k.a. TheJagWrangler), the designer and manufacturer of the amazing DIY remote soft top kit. Hopefully, he will see your question and reply. Otherwise, you may want to PM him.

I hope you don't cause more problems that it's worth by putting the top down without the luggage separator in its proper place. The Owner's Handbook states: "Do not attempt to open the convertible top manually, as damage to the linkage mechanism may occur."

I'm curious about why you want to do this.
Stuart I assume you didn't get to the last sentence in my post. Not a problem as I want to see the operation of the top as it goes into it's retracted position.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member

jagtoes,

Yes, I read your last sentence but didn't know if you (or any other forum members) were aware of the potential damage to the linkage mechanism.

But I'm still puzzled by what your "other motives" are and why you can't watch the top retract with the luggage separator in its proper place. I presume you want to "trick" the computer into thinking that the luggage separator is still there, but I'm not sure what you want to accomplish. Are you looking to free up a bit more storage space in the trunk by eliminating the luggage separator?

Stuart

Old 02-01-2016, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
jagtoes,

Yes, I read your last sentence but didn't know if you (or any other forum members) were aware of the potential damage to the linkage mechanism.

But I'm still puzzled by what your "other motives" are and why you can't watch the top retract with the luggage separator in its proper place. I presume you want to "trick" the computer into thinking that the luggage separator is still there, but I'm not sure what you want to accomplish. Are you looking to free up a bit more storage space in the trunk by eliminating the luggage separator?

Stuart
I'm an engineer by trade prior to retirement. I enjoy the design efforts involved in mechanical linkages so knowing the top can be a potential problem area I am interested in seeing how it was designed and functions. Nothing to do with additional space but just an exercise.
I've read the manual a few times and I guess i'll need to get a service manual too. Look at it this way if WhiteXKR wasn't curious as to how the top functioned we wouldn't have his modification. He's more electrical than I am so I'll sticks to mechanics. Some people don't need to know how your ears work in order to hear but others are curious to know.

Stuart S (02-01-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I'm an engineer by trade prior to retirement. I enjoy the design efforts involved in mechanical linkages so knowing the top can be a potential problem area I am interested in seeing how it was designed and functions. Nothing to do with additional space but just an exercise.
I've read the manual a few times and I guess i'll need to get a service manual too. Look at it this way if WhiteXKR wasn't curious as to how the top functioned we wouldn't have his modification. He's more electrical than I am so I'll sticks to mechanics. Some people don't need to know how your ears work in order to hear but others are curious to know.
Yeah that.

My XK has not been on the road in 18 months. It sits in the garage tethered to various test equipment and prototypes unlocking its secrets.

I am really looking forward to driving it again some day soon though!

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 02-01-2016 at 08:26 AM.
jagtoes (02-01-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member

jagtoes and WhiteXKR,

Take comfort in knowing that old mechanical engineers never die - they just lose their bearings!

Stuart

jagtoes (02-01-2016)