XK120 XK140 XK150 1948 - 1962

XK120 / XK140/ XK150 How to quick links

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts
Default XK120 / XK140/ XK150 How to quick links

Hey all, we seem to have a distinct shortage of "how to" threads here......

Please advise as and when any info worthy of addition becomes available and we will gladly update them.
Lets get this section moving, onwards n upwards

Old 05-31-2015, 11:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XK120 Help

Jim,

As a newbie here but a longtime XK120 restorer, I would be happy to help with tech/how-to questions. I have or can take photos of most any roadster part.
Mike

The following users liked this post:
funkstuf (09-02-2022)
Old 06-04-2015, 12:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Modification help with '63 XK120 FHC

Hi, I was willed a less than good condition '53 FHC XK120 by my father. He bought it about 35 years ago as a barn find in somewhat rusted and missing parts condition and it was in the process of being "lumped".

He got a Jag 3.4 engine (blue painted block MKII?) from a friend and they installed it into the body. He then covered it with tarps, stuck it under his elevated porch and left it till he died 3 years ago. I got it back here to Texas and set about trying to buy parts I could see I needed. All moveable parts were in unknown condition. The engine hasn't been started, but does turn over. The tranny does shift and the clutch seems to work. The brakes blew some hoses when I tried them so thought about what to to do, I took off the tandem master cylinder and inspected the fronts (ones that blew). I bought new hoses, disassembled the front brakes and saw some of the shoe material was gone. Shoes are ridiculously expensive, so I decided to put XKE disc brakes (which I had) on it with the requisite XKE and 150 parts. That went well and now it is time to turn to the steering gear. Since the original steering parts are ostensibly NLA and mine is apart and has pieces missing, I decided to explore what it would take to put an extra XKE rack and pinion I have on it. I know this has been done in the past (probably with 140 racks), but before I can decide what to do or whether I want to do it, I need to know what exactly I have to do to fit a rack. I've really searched and asked around on various forums, but nobody seems to have a "DIY how-to" knowledge on this. I am very comfortable with major projects and have most or all the tools I'll need to do this. I also have an XK140 radiator which I might need. I know there has to be some welding of rack mounts (XKE?) and, traditionally, radiator relocation and some cutting of the side engine bay areas, but I think some newer, thick radiator could be mounted above the rack thus not doing the traditional stuff. The thing is I have these ideas, but don't have the instructions or parts list to even consider this.

Can you help with this? I know it won't be original and god knows I haven't the money or inclination to go concours, but I figure clever invention might just work here.

I've done some work on the body and that will be a real chore, I know, as these things were really hand built. But, I have already fabricated and welded new floors for bolting in, a new spare tire well, fixed the door hinges and some other things and I'll do more as things progress. I've made new pieces to fill those firewall areas they torched off when trying to lump it. But these other things have intrigued me and I haven't been been able to pry loose any real, substantive information.

Since you say you've done a lot of restoration work on these, I thought you might be able to answer these questions.

Thanks for any consideration and best regards,

Brian

Old 06-05-2015, 07:55 AM

Brian,
If you have most of the original steering components, I would forget the rack idea...List missing components, I have a friend with some used parts.

I am in the process of putting a XK120 OTS body on a XK150 frame using a XK140 OTS bonnet and rad.
If you decide to proceed, you will have to modify or replace the bonnet, bonnet latch and side panels, replacement radiator, make radiator mounts, bumper bracket, steering column and wheel.
The list goes on and on.
I like the thicker/smaller rad idea but overheating was always a problem.

I have tried to attach a few pictures but they do not appear in my preview.

Mike

Old 02-09-2018, 12:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rack and pinion steering on XK120

You wrote back to me that "If you decide to proceed, you will have to modify or replace the bonnet, bonnet latch and side panels, replacement radiator, make radiator mounts, bumper bracket, steering column and wheel.
The list goes on and on.
I like the thicker/smaller rad idea but overheating was always a problem."

Then you tried to post some pics though I don't know of what. SO can you send them directly to me? alpha then the word jag then the at symbol then an a and another a then a t then a dot net.

I'd love to ask other questions which you might have an insight into.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:42 AM

Brian,

I find this site/forum impossible to use.

If you get this message, email me(mike@xkss.com)

Old 01-21-2022, 05:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 53 FHC 120 with modification everywhere. Jag trans with a 327 Chevy. Runs good, shifts fine. You mentioned radiator. Man was that difficult to find. I am not made of money, and I thought I would have my original re cored and fixed... NOPE, the copper alone was 700 before labor, I was looking at 1200. That was a maybe price. I found a chinese double core aluminum one, 71 cm. 350. I thought I would take a chance, It fit perfectly. Since you said your will not be original, this worked for me and may work for you. It has a 327 in front of it, it doesnt over heat at all!! Lots of power. for 69 years old, she gets down and moves. Hope this helps ya, good luck.
Burdinest