XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 Convert - Top Sticking - Do I believe the service guy ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 05:53 PM
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 06 Convert - Top Sticking - Do I believe the service guy ?

Hey Guys,

So last week I was cruising around with the top down. When I went to put the top up the top went up about 10% and then stopped. I lowered it back down, and then when I pushed the up button when it went up and stopped I very gently pulled up the roof and was able to pull the roof closed that the cycle completed and locked the roof down.

I took the car into service, for the roof and some other issues. The service writer opened the trunk and opened the release valve for the roof, had me cycle the pump (hold the roof button opened and then close) and then closed the relief valve and the top operated without an issue.

The service writer said that the Hydraulic Fluid turns to jelly, and that the system needs to be flushed. But then he went on to say that usually after you flush and replace the fluid the pressure goes up and that is when the hydraulic hoses burst.

So I came to Jaguarforums, and did some searches, and it from what I read it seems like the hydraulic jelly issue was on the older cars and that the dark oil (which I have) resolved that issue.

So how much of what the service writer told me is true? Should I flush? Should I worry about the hoses ? What do you guys think ?

Thanks,

Dave

Old 05-22-2011, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

It sounds like a low fluid situation to me, but I would think the service guy would see that. I have heard the same thing you have about the old yellow fluid verses the newer green stuff, so I don't believe that is the issue. Gus should be in here any minute to tell you much more than I can.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

Not to steal this thread but we see so many of these threads here for various top issues.
Several years ago I bought a 1965 Tbird convert that had been sitting for 25 years, never started, nothing. With in two weeks of getting it home it was running, another week and I had the top working, two more weeks driving on the road, and drove it for about a year before I sold it. The top never was an issue, the damn thing had power everything and it all worked. THEY DON'T MAKE'EM LIKE THEY USED TOO.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:04 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

You are correct; the older fluid is the one that jells. If your car is a 2006 you need not be concerned. As for the hose bursting, it is a matter of time on any year car to 2007 unless you install a pressure relief system. I prefer the pressure relief valve. I am going to give you a few links for your reading pleasure and I will answer any questions you might have.

When the petcock was opened and reclosed at the pump he either took the air out of the pump area or tightened a loose and partially open petcock.

Hyd Hose Evaluation
JAGUAR ROOF HYDRAULIC PRESSURE RELIEF VALVE
Hyd Roof Operation
Hose Replacement
Replacement Roof Hose
http://www.gusglikas.com/images/Auto...atchRepair.pdf
http://www.gusglikas.com/images/Auto...atchRepair.pdf
Hydraulic Fluid

I hope this helps!

Old 05-22-2011, 09:29 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by o2manyfish
Hey Guys,

So last week I was cruising around with the top down. When I went to put the top up the top went up about 10% and then stopped. I lowered it back down, and then when I pushed the up button when it went up and stopped I very gently pulled up the roof and was able to pull the roof closed that the cycle completed and locked the roof down.

I took the car into service, for the roof and some other issues. The service writer opened the trunk and opened the release valve for the roof, had me cycle the pump (hold the roof button opened and then close) and then closed the relief valve and the top operated without an issue.

The service writer said that the Hydraulic Fluid turns to jelly, and that the system needs to be flushed. But then he went on to say that usually after you flush and replace the fluid the pressure goes up and that is when the hydraulic hoses burst.

So I came to Jaguarforums, and did some searches, and it from what I read it seems like the hydraulic jelly issue was on the older cars and that the dark oil (which I have) resolved that issue.

So how much of what the service writer told me is true? Should I flush? Should I worry about the hoses ? What do you guys think ?

Thanks,

Dave
I have to disagree with the guy about the flush, you never had the fluid that thickens. He may have been in a selling mood.

It does sound like a low fluid situation though; I would check the reservoir attached to the pump yourself and see if it is between the lines. If it IS low, you might pull out the seat cushion an see if you find evidence of oil leakage from the lift cylinders. If you do, you know what's next.

On the latch hoses, your car is a 2006, I would be starting preparations to change them, especially since your are in a relatively warm climate. There are folks on the forum that have made modifications etc. to the hydraulic system or circuitry for the top, but personally I'm not big on doing that. I just figure on replacing them at 7-8 years.

Good luck!

Old 05-23-2011, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by o2manyfish
Hey Guys,

... The service writer said that the Hydraulic Fluid turns to jelly, and that the system needs to be flushed. But then he went on to say that usually after you flush and replace the fluid the pressure goes up and that is when the hydraulic hoses burst.

o2,

I too disagree with the service guy. The original fluid in your MY has no reported history of jelling ... at least none reported here, and everything gets reported here.

I can't see how flushing the system would lead to higher hydraulic pressure. Another explanation for what he was saying is that the very act of flushing distrubs the connections at the latch, and may make a failure there more likely.

What does the fluid level look like now? There are two hash marks on the reservoir ... let us know where the fluid is top-up and top-down.

So, FWIW, I would vote no, do not flush, and yes, do worry about the hoses. I'm a proponent of the voltage-reduction method of lowering the hydraulic pressure. Details about it are here: www.scorekeeper.com/jaguar/jaguar01.htm Also Reverend Sam is selling pre-assembled kits to implement this method. $30, I think. Look for the thread on "Voltage Reduction Kits"

Good luck.