Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 XK8 rear quarter windows stuck in down position

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 1997 XK8 rear quarter windows stuck in down position

Hello all,
I just joined this forum,having recently purchased a beautiful blue 1997 XK8 convertible with extremely low mileage. I knew what I was getting into with the age and all. Did my research. Checked the car over at the dealer before buying. Even got a discount for the eventual conversion of the PLASTIC cam chain guides. (smh). However, I didn't count on the convertible top failing right out of the gate. After research and discussion with others locally, and reading up on forums like this one, I decided to just tear into the job. $2k in pro repairs didn't sound at all good to me.Took out the back seat, speaker panels,speakers (which were rattling due to the foam suspension having disintegrated over 21 years,as suspected) pulled the passenger side speaker box and found a pristine ram and pristine hydraulic lines, as are also represented in the trunk going into the pump.All original lines,date stamped 1997. However, I noticed debris in the corner under the rear seat,passenger side...as if a mouse had been chewing the foam insulation...just a small pile...and about two inches of a hydraulic line that had been chewed down to the fabric.Problem found. Today I loaded up the reservoir on the pump and attempted to raise the lowered rear quarter windows which have been stuck in that position for over a week now. The top cycled down to complete the cycle it was in when it stalled last week. I then attempted to raise the top with the hose wrapped in a towel. It did go up BUT the windows remained down. How can I get those windows up so that I can at least drive the car without worrying that it might rain while I'm out running errands etc...? I'm thinking maybe I can jump the 'raise rear quarter window' relay. Never actually had to jump a relay. Anyone want to lend a hand? On the 1997,specifically,which relays are relegated for this task,and how are they jumped? Thanks in advance!

Old 07-29-2018, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

The quickest way to check the relay is to swap it with the window down relay. You already know that relay is good.

Old 07-29-2018, 09:32 AM
Default update

Vernon, thanks...I'll keep that trick in mind if I need it later on. The windows are UP! It seems there are several different ways of getting those windows up and down, independent of the convertible top circuits/process. None had been working for me...I began reading up on the circuits,microprocessors,trouble shooting etc...last night and stumbled upon...'push the button three times in succession and the rear quarter windows will come up.' I thought...'well, that's worth a try.' So I went and tried it...The system check had probably re-set the relay's logic after I turned the car off after the most recent attempt to get those windows up.The windows ascended on the first try.
Now my decision will be' Do I turn off the pump and just 'go manual' on the top or do I spend two grand on a few hydraulic hoses and rebuilding the three rams...and the labor. I would do it myself if I could find step by step instructions on the process for 1997 XK8. Don't feel like shelling out a thousand to a mechanic!

Old 07-29-2018, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Steve, don't lose hope. The instructions are on this site. I'm not in a position to find them for you now. I'm sure someone will jump in.

wasn't Gus the author?

scan repair.com for starters.

John

Last edited by Johnken; 07-29-2018 at 06:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
steve34609 (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by steve34609
Vernon, thanks...I'll keep that trick in mind if I need it later on. The windows are UP! It seems there are several different ways of getting those windows up and down, independent of the convertible top circuits/process. None had been working for me...I began reading up on the circuits,microprocessors,trouble shooting etc...last night and stumbled upon...'push the button three times in succession and the rear quarter windows will come up.' I thought...'well, that's worth a try.' So I went and tried it...The system check had probably re-set the relay's logic after I turned the car off after the most recent attempt to get those windows up.The windows ascended on the first try.
Now my decision will be' Do I turn off the pump and just 'go manual' on the top or do I spend two grand on a few hydraulic hoses and rebuilding the three rams...and the labor. I would do it myself if I could find step by step instructions on the process for 1997 XK8. Don't feel like shelling out a thousand to a mechanic!
Steve what exactly is the problem with the top at this point? Do you have a fluid leak?

The crumbling outer casing on the lines to the hydraulic rams is common. Mine have done that but they still function without leaks.

I have done the latch line replacement and its all pretty easy just a lot of parts to remove, some of which I think you have removed already. Since you have a 1997 you have better quality lines than the later model years so that may not even be necessary. Could be just lowering the pump pressure is enough to prevent seals from premature failure vs. complete rebuild now.

You are not far from me locally so if you want to meet up I can help you sort it out.

Old 07-29-2018, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,323 Likes on 735 Posts

Steve, Jon89 and I did the rear lines and rams a few years back and did a nut and screw write up.
Gus's site has a great write up on the front and hints to improve the latch, so a little research will get you in a place you will fill like you have done it before. You are as over half way there.

Here you go:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...cement-140688/

Last edited by cjd777; 07-29-2018 at 11:48 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by cjd777:
Johnken (07-29-2018), Jon89 (07-30-2018), steve34609 (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 02:50 PM

A rodent decided it liked the taste of hydraulic lines and nested in the space between the passenger side speaker box and the trunk wall. That was the problem. Now the line sprays from a two inch chewed on area whenever it's in use.I have a wedding to go to in MI next week but,after that, I'm going to be addressing the hydraulics and other issues after I return. It would be great to meet up. Shoot me an e-mail. I'm in Spring Hill.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

Steve you can get replacement hoses from Top Hydraulics. It will take about a week to get them shipped from west coast.

To keep the cost down you could just replace the damaged lines and then also reduce the pressure in the whole system. I did the bypass valve but I think changing the pump relief spring is the way to go now.

I am near SR 41 & 52. Will PM you my contact info. Ping me when you're ready.

Old 07-29-2018, 07:48 PM
Received 4,180 Likes on 3,643 Posts

You could also check with Cabriolet Hydraulics in Bradenton Fl - that is where I picked up my hydraulic lines

Old 12-21-2022, 12:05 PM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

Steve; I know this is an old post, but this 3X switch poking is an amazing solution for lots of us. This needs to be put on the "STICKY".

Do you still have the car, and are you having any success driving it? This rear window problem is just one more on a list of stupid malfunctions of my '97 XK8.

I have not been able to legally drive the car for almost 2 years because the ABS module failed, had it repaired, worked for a month, then the ECU needed "rebuilding". That didn't work, and I still have the Christmas Tree instrument cluster with the damn CEL on. Extensive testing of codes and inspections has not solved it. Anyway, I need t get this window issue4 solved first since they are down and the car now site outside (under cover),.

As an add, the top has been really sluggish the lest few times I lowered and raised it....needed help by pulling the center handle. This last time I got it up and latched, but I don't remember hearing the bell chime sound. I had to hold the lift switch a loooong time to get it up. Ergo, the rear windows will not go up.

Hope you get this and have advice for me.

Ken