XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 Radio removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 09:34 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 1998 Radio removal

Okay, I surrender. Searched for how to remove radio and found lots of stuff on replacing it, but nothing on disconnecting it.

I'm down to 2 connectors, one that has no clear way to remove it - at first I assumed it was the antenna wire as it is the right size for that but I can see no connector, and it disappears into the wiring loom with no connector in sight. That is on the far right side of the radio.

On the far left below the ground wire is a black connector that doesn't want to come off. The grey wire next to it pulled right off as did the large plastic connector at the top.

But I haven't found any threads addressing the other connectors. I am trying to get the radio out to work on the cassette mechanism to get my ION bluetooth working (it keeps trying to change sides after a few seconds of playing - even with a real cassette in there)

I tried taking the top off with the those wires still connected, but there seems to be something holding it down which will require a closer look on the bench I think (unless someone can tell me a way to get the top of the radio off in place).

Thanks.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:10 AM
Received 285 Likes on 172 Posts

A pic of the connections in question might help... I know the CD connector can be a tad difficult to remove at times (it is round and wider right at the stereo) but it should remove with a slight tug and a little twist side to side...

As far as the other wire it might be the antenna and I don't think it disconnects from the stereo directly, but has a pigtail... but I am not sure.

The following users liked this post:
goingjag (10-03-2014)
Old 10-03-2014, 11:55 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Blindside.

You were absolutely correct. The plug came out really really hard. I'm not one for grabbing cables with pliers but I was close to needing them on that one. After looking at it out of the car, the connector on the radio side had actually come somewhat apart. I was able to just click it back in, but that gives an indication of how hard it was to pull that plug out.

(Edit, looking at it later, there are prongs on the black plug that hold it in place. By holding onto the cable and pulling back on the wide plug part, those prongs will be retracted so you can then easily pull this plug out, just pulling it out will likely pull out the inner retainer on the radio as I did).

After getting that plug out on the drivers side I was able to flip the radio around enough to see that it was indeed a standard antenna cable on the other side, just well buried in the radio and hidden somewhat by outer cover.

Last edited by goingjag; 10-03-2014 at 01:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
blindside (10-04-2014)