Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 XK8 Low Beam Headlight Replacement FYI

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts
Default 1998 XK8 Low Beam Headlight Replacement FYI

Friends thank you for your recent instructions and help regarding the low beam replacement. After a rather frustrating experience I wanted to post my findings that will make it much much easier for others in the future.

1) Access to the low beam (H1) bulb is in front of the front tire. Use a pliers to first twist the middle tab 90 degrees. Then use the plier to pull up and release the botton tab. The top of the the plastic plate is just a 2 inch long tab that slips in behind the wheel cowl structure.

2) It takes a bit longer but I cannot imaging having enough room to see what I'm doing with the wheel on the car. I suggest you just remove it for much easier access. (As you will see the bulb and the retaining wire clip are quite recessed and hard to see one really needs a direct view.)

3) Come with the right tools!! (bold underlined) If you can do this with your fingers you are better than me, and likely much smaller hands. I couldn't, so I tried to use a pair of long nose. Regular long nose pliers will not be long enough! Within about 10 minutes of struggling in the dark I managed to disconnect the wire clip entirely. Be aware that this can happen (see next paragraph). Bring a bright flashlight - even in mid-day sun, you are in a shadowed dark place.

I purchased a pair of large long nose pliers. They must be 8 inches long end to end. Everything, including re-threading and reattaching the clip took seconds with this tool. There was absolutely no way to do this with standard sized pliers - what a relief when it was finished with the new pliers.

I was so concerned with identifying the right tool above, I neglected to mention a couple of steps: Once the access cover in front of the tire is off, you need to rotate a black plastic water proof cover anti clock wise to losen it and get access to the bulb. It will likely take some patience (it seemed very hard at first) but eventually it loosened without any tools. Take the electrical connectors off the back of the bulb. Both just pull off. The center one is on so tightly it seems like there is a tab release - there is not. It is just pressure fitted with a dimple on the blade. Note the orientation of the center lead and the wire clip - you don't want to let this wrap under the wire clip when you try to reinstall it.

As I recall the original bulb has a circular base, every H1 replacement bulb I've seen lately has a flat edge for orientation. Not to worry, the bulb will only go in flush with the surface in one orientation. (come to think of it, I can't imagine how one would get the halogen bulb back in without covering it in dirt and oils if the wheel was in place at this step).

Reconnect the wire clip with your extra long long nose pliers. There are two clips at the top, do one at a time. Then re-connect the wires. Reattach the weather housing (just patiently wriggle it around - it will go in), and reattach the cover.

Hope it helps you down the road - John

The following 5 users liked this post by Johnken:
cjd777 (06-03-2014), mel98xk8 (06-09-2014), MikeAlford (10-30-2015), Terry Young (05-28-2019), The Coupe (06-03-2014)