Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 XK8 Coupe, Good Car???

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 10:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 XK8 Coupe, Good Car???

Hello all,
I am considering buying a 2000 XK8 coupe. Are they mechanically sound or a mechanical nightmare? Engine & trans reliable? Heard some of the V8 engines in the late 90's were not so good. Are they good performers?
Thanks! Ed.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Spend some time reading the sticky threads at the top of the XK8 forum. That will get you decently informed in a relatively short timeframe....

Can you obtain the maintenance records for the car you are interested in? They are essential....

If you cannot DIY your own maintenance and repairs, walk away regardless of how good the acquisition deal is. The car will chew through your bank account if you must pay someone else to maintain it for you....

Old 09-18-2017, 11:28 AM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

This is some good reading about the engine: V8 Chain Tensioners Problems - Jaguar Clubs of North America

While the 2000 model is very nice, the 2001 model has the nice chrome boot plinth and chrome trim around the tail lights..where the 2000 model doesn't.

Attached Thumbnails 2000 XK8 Coupe, Good Car???-828_p7_l.jpg  
Old 09-18-2017, 12:23 PM

Had a 95' VDP and loved the car. Ran it to 165K miles and did nothing more that typical maintenance. The Chain Tensioner issue scares me. If it was done does that mean the bad parts have been replaced with redesigned (good) parts or just replacement originals? Is this more than a handy man can do in his driveway? Car has only 68K miles.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Mileage really isn't relevant on these cars. Age is the issue as all the rubber bits are likely in need of replacement. Hoses, and front suppension are the biggest issues. Yes anyone with basic knowledge and shop tools can do all maintenance in your driveway, I do and have actually enjoyed working on my 03.

This forum will be your life saver not to mention your wallet. As noted if you can't do your own repairs walk away.

Electronic issues are the most PIA problems and these cars are complicated beasts, but again with the help of the forum and some patience everything is doable.

Old 09-18-2017, 02:10 PM

According to what I have found on the internet the timing tensioner job can cost between $1200-$1600. I believe I could do the job myself but some special tool is required to prevent the cam timing from getting all out of sorts when the chain is removed. Anyone else have some numbers to go by? Do these cars typically have electrical issues? Any other expensive issues with these cars like transmission problems?

Old 09-18-2017, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

If you join the Jaguar Club of North America you can borrow all the special tools. They are kept at Coventry West in Lithonia. The North Georgia Jaguar Club is affiliated with the JCNA and is also a great social group that meets up in your area for drives several times a year. They are hosting the International Festival in October.

Many of us have replaced the secondary tensioners with the zip tie method that you will find on the forum. This is the most critical upgrade and it only takes a few hours. The rest of the job, chains and primaries, can be be put off until you have more experience working on the car, but not indefinitely.

Old 09-18-2017, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 402 Likes on 299 Posts

I did the timing chain tensions on my 2001 XJ8 VDP. It had the same 4.0. I did the secondary timing chain tensioners only, and replaced them with the 3rd generation metal-bodies ones. This was using the "zip-tie method" which is well documented in the archives. Some will say to do the primary chain guides at the same time, and that is quite a bit more effort and requires special tools. But do some looking. It's definitely a job to get out of the way, if it hasn't been done.

Old 09-18-2017, 02:56 PM

Excellent advice from all that replied. Many thanks for the quick responses. I'm not going into the purchase blind. Going to contact the seller in an attempt to get maintenance records.
Thanks Again!
Ed.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:44 PM
Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Other thing to look for is tranny issues. Most seem to die around 100k with a broken drum, the updated fx from zf seems to be better. Personally I would rather get a car without the tranny being rebuilt by an unknown shop then having it done myself (I would pay less accordingly for a car that hasn't had it done). Aside from that it is as reliable as just about anything out there. Not a great car for someone who doesn't like tinkering just as any high dollar older euro car but if you're handy they are pretty easy to work on, just more complex then say a Toyota Camary but no more difficult.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

You should probably get a pre purchase inspection since you're not familiar with the XK8. I have had some experience with Enzo's in Marietta and can recommend them if the car is in the Atlanta area. By the way , is this a red metallic car advertised on craig's list?

Enzo's Automotive Service ? Atlanta Jaguar, Land Rover, Ferrari, & Maserati Repair and Service

Old 09-19-2017, 03:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 462 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Edlanta
Any other expensive issues with these cars like transmission problems?
There are three different types of automatic transmission in these cars:-

4.0 XK8 non-supercharged ZF 5 speed - ZF 5HP24

4.0 XKR Supercharged Mercedes 5 speed - W5A580

4.2 XK8/R ZF 6 speed - ZF 6HP26

There is plenty of information on the forum as to the problems you get - the "how to" sticky at the top of this forum is essential reading:-

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ts-data-29800/

Old 09-19-2017, 06:26 AM
Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

So many good points have been brought up by our fellow members, I had read somewhere in these forums that cars like these need "caretakers". That, I agree with, there are common problems and idiosyncrasies that can crop up at any time, but previous ownership's care should show in the overall condition.
Yes, having mechanical aptitude and the ability to "DIY" is a big plus, but nontheless, these are some of the most incredibly satisfying and pleasurable, (and aggravating and frustrating) cars to own and drive, but it's just these things that make them more than "just a car!"
Do your due diligence, purchase intelligently, and you'll be rewarded with an Iconic car you'll be proud to own, as are we on these forums. Best of luck!

Cheers,
BK

Last edited by Hdpartsman00XKR; 09-19-2017 at 06:31 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:53 AM

Received this note from the current owner. He has been very forth coming with information. Going to find out if he has receipts for the work.

Hi Ed - happy to answer any questions. The timing chain tensioners were replaced by the previous owner; I had the car inspected before I bought it and also ran a carfax report and they both came out perfectly clean. There's zero issues with the car, cosmetically or mechanically.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Without documentation, you should assume that the tensioners have NOT been replaced. If the appropriate receipts are not produced for you, someone must take a look at the tensioners to verify....

Old 09-19-2017, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

+1
It's too important an issue to rely on anecdotal evidence.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by Edlanta
There's zero issues with the car, cosmetically or mechanically.
On a car going on 20 years old? Yeah, OK.

I used this as a test when I was talking to the seller for what became my car. I asked him to go around the car and tell me EVERY detail wrong with it. As the seller played along and started listing every chip, crack and discoloration, I knew he was being honest with me.

I was looking at another car earlier. I did the same "trick" and the seller quickly gave me the line about "nothing wrong". Someone else ended buying that same car and a few days later posted on this list following a major cooling system failure. Just an anecdote, I suppose.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:29 PM

Great tactic fmertz. I will use it!
The owner just emailed me back and told me that the original owner replaced all of the tensioners and guides with the newer designed metal ones. Said he was a mechanic that had his own shop and did the work himself. He does have receipts for everything that he has done to the car since he has owned it but not from the original owner. Makes me nervous but the car is in such perfect shape and cosmetically maintained that it would be hard to believe that mechanically things were not taken care of?
Question? Is there anyway to tell if all the tensioners were replaced without a complete tear down? Can it be accessed with a bore scope?

Old 09-19-2017, 12:32 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

It doesn't need a tear down but you do need to take off a cam cover to check.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:39 PM

Is removing the cam cover a big job? Can you verify that all parts were replaced from that vantage point? Wondering if it is worth paying to have it inspected?