XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 XKR Restoration Project - Convertible top won't latch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 07:01 PM
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 2000 XKR Restoration Project - Convertible top won't latch?

The convertible top raises and lowers automatically with no problem but it won't latch in neither the up or down positions. If I manually lock it in the up position, it will automatically unlock and lower but won't latch when the top reaches the bottom, it just times out. If I manually lock it in the down position, it will automatically raise the latch to accept the top but once it reaches the top and goes into the latch it will time out. Fluid is in the middle of the 2 lines on the reservoir. If I manually lock the top when it is raised the rear windows will not go up. I tried pushing on the linkage right above the ram's thinking the weren't locked in place but I can't get them to budge and didn't want to bend them. The rams are leaking slowly, could this cause the issue?

What I've tried:
Swapping passenger side ram in case it was the ram switch, I had an extra one lying around.
Opening and closing with the key in the door.
Manually dropping the top to reset it.
Verified good, drivers side fascia fuse #6, 5 amp (convertible top header console)
Pushing on the ram's to lock them in to place in the raised position, they don't seem to move.
Lubing the latch.

Any ideas? Please help...

Completed Projects
Fuel Pump's - 3/24/18
Radiator - 3/17/18

Current Projects
Fix Convertible Top Operation
Purchase floor mats
Replace gear shift light
Replace radio/clock back lights
Restore/Replace worn back seat
Re-install front seat skins, they are coming loose at the back
Paint-less Dent Removal passenger quarter panel
I'm sure there is more I have not added yet...

Last edited by seawind; 03-25-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:18 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts
Old 04-19-2018, 02:28 PM
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Underneath the passenger side rear seat sits the electrical connector to the right/passenger convertible ram/cylinder. I don't know if hydraulic fluid leaking or the missing water shedder on the passenger side was the cause of it but for the second time I had problems with it. The first time was years ago and I had slightly different symptoms due to another issue I had at the same time so I hadn't even thought about the connector. After testing the continuity going from white connector in the header to the ram connector under the rear seat it was clear that there was a break inside the white connector. When trying to remove the terminals inside the white connector only 1 came out in good condition, the other 2 were rusted through and broke with very little pressure.

Anybody know what the part number is for the molded plastic water shedder that sits over the right/passenger window regulator on a 2000 XKR is?

Thanks to Gus for helping me diagnose the rams and header switches as good which eventually led me to testing the wiring. And thanks to WhiteXKR for sending me some new terminals for the connector! What would this forum be without you guys!