Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XKR Convertible Top Latch

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 12:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default XKR Convertible Top Latch

Hi,
I am having a problem with my 2001 XKR (148,000 miles).

With all windows up I press the top down button.
Front windows drop a quarter of a inch (or something like that, same as when I open the doors.)
I get the warning chime.
The rear quarter windows go down fully.
The top retracts fully, but the pump keep running and the latch does not retract. Makes no difference if I try to press the top down further manually.

If I press on the latch it does go down about an inch, won't go any further, and can't be retracted manually. It will not budge.
After one minute:
The front windows go back up a quarter of an inch and I get the top not latched warning.
The latch 'relaxes' and I can easily retract it manually. The top latched warning goes out and if I press the top down button the pump no longer runs (as expected.)
It seems for some reason it is not starting the top fully down cycle on its own (retracting latch, stopping pumping action, raising front windows.)
The fluid level is correct.

Where should I be looking for the fault? Is it one of the modules on top of the pump? What gives the signal for the top fully down cycle to start.

Top raises and closes and latches fine. There is no binding in the latch and it is properly lubricated, thanks,
Perry

Old 08-20-2013, 12:20 PM
Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts

Hi.
Sounds like some kind of electrical gremlin. The easy thing, make a hard reset and be sure battery is fully charged.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Convertible Top.pdf (65.6 KB, 188 views)
Old 08-20-2013, 12:52 PM

Thanks you very much for info oyster. I'll give it a try and let you know the results,
regards,
Perry

Old 08-20-2013, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Also check the pump fluid level...it could be low. It should be between the two embossed marks on the translucent tank. It is located over the CD player in the boot. If it is low, there may be a leak in the system.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

I have a strong suspicion about the "Convertible Top Down" switch, which is located on the right hand side (I think) ram, and which closes when the top is fully lowered. It seems the switch may not be closing as it should.

Until this switch closes, the solenoid which controls fluid flow to the latch is set to permit flow in the "open latch" direction ... the opposite of what's needed here ... so even though the pump is running in the correct direction to close the latch, it can't. For the same reason, you can't close it manually either.

See the "Convertible Top Opening Sequence" in the attached.

From fiddling around with this system, I know there are time-outs built in, but the documentation we have doesn't tell us about those. I think a time-out has occurred when the latch "frees up", letting you close it manually. (The latch solenoid has reverted to the "off" state, which permits flow in the direction needed to close the latch.)

Attached Files

Last edited by Dennis07; 08-20-2013 at 03:42 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 08-21-2013, 06:56 AM

Thanks oyster and everyone else for your comments and guidance. The problem ended up being a broken wire from the 'top down' micro switch.

The wiring is located under the rear seat cushion. There is a three wire block. The centre wire had broken away. Repairing this connection solved the problem.

Thanks,
Perry