XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 XK8 dies periodically while driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 12:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2001 XK8 dies periodically while driving

Hi everyone, first time actually using this forum. I have read it a lot and learned a great deal form it. Though I am very savvy with my Jags, I am stumped on this issue and hoping I can get some assistance. I have a 2001 XK8 and while driving, it periodically dies and I have to pull over to the side of the road. t's a scary situation at times and trying to find a resolve. One thing that I have noticed is that when the car dies, it will normally fire up after I do a restart. I've noticed that when the car dies, my cruise control red light shuts off and the car will not start unless that red light comes back on. When the light is on, I know the car will start immediately. When it's off, I just turn the key on and off until I see the red light on. Then I know it will start. I'm certainly open for suggestions. Thank you in advance for your thoughts on this matter.

Old 11-30-2013, 02:37 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

With all engine management issues, the first step in troubleshooting has to be having the stored and pending codes read. Do you have any codes set?

Although simple code readers that can interface Pxxxx (Powertrain) codes still have their place, as Jaguar (and other marques) have become more complex, dealer level diagnostics interrogating Bxxxx (Body), Cxxxx (Chassis) and Uxxxx (Network) are becoming unavoidable.

Graham

Old 11-30-2013, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

As Graham said, a code reader is a crucial tool these days.

First up would be to read any codes and probably check the fuel trims as I have seen a similar stalling at speed problem caused by an extreme lean condition, either a big air leak or a problematic MAF.

For the year of the car, the thread should really be in the XK8/R section.
XK8 / XKR - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Old 11-30-2013, 09:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2001 XK8 dies periodically while driving

Hi everyone, as a Newby, I posted yesterday and may have been on the wrong thread, my apologies. My 2001 Jag XK8 dies periodically while I'm driving. The two responses that I received on my last post suggested possible fuel and to check for any codes. First, I have no codes according to my OBII, which is not the specifically made Jag reader and second I don't believe that it is a fuel issue because when the car dies, I notice the red light on the cruise control switch down by the shifter goes off. As I attempt to start the car, it will not start as long as the light is off and after a period of time, say a dozen or more attempts, the light will come back on and the car will start immediately. Though, occasionally when the car dies and I pull over and turn off the ignition, I will turn back on the ignition and notice the red light for the cruise control switch is back on and it'll start back up first try. It will not start when the cruise control light is off, but will eventually come back on allowing me to start the car. This is why I don't think its a fuel issue. Not to mention I have replaced several fuel pumps in the past and am familiar with that issue. Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:40 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Originally Posted by hqmok
Hi everyone, as a Newby, I posted yesterday and may have been on the wrong thread, my apologies. .......
I've moved your original thread from XK/XKR forum and merged it with the one you started here so all replies come to this one thread.

Graham