XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 XK8 Electrical wiring diagram question....

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 05:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2001 XK8 Electrical wiring diagram question....

I have a 2001 XK8 Convertible with the Premium Alpine system, and when I pulled the radio out to inspect the wiring harness, the wiring diagram that I have shows IC-8 with a red wire on pin 3 and a yellow wire on pin 7. Normally on most vehicles these should be Radio switch..(ignition) wire (red) and 12 Volt Constant (yellow). Both of these wire show to go directly to the power amplifier in the rear of the vehicle. Also on IC-19 There is a Brown/Red wire on pin 1 and a Brown/Red wire on pin 2. One of these Brown/Red wires goes to the fuse box on the passenger side to a 10A fuse and the other Brown/Red wire goes to the trunk fuse box to a 5A fuse.
My question is...which of these wires would be used for Radio switch, and which would be used for 12 volt constant. I hope I'm not sounding too confusing, but I want to connect the wiring harness from an aftermarket stereo to 12 volt constant and Radio switching (ignition-off/on). Anyone had experience with this issue...? (I've already identified the ground wire on IC-19..on pin-0...that one was easy....).Can anyone help?.....

Old 06-17-2011, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnetvision
I have a 2001 XK8 Convertible with the Premium Alpine system, and when I pulled the radio out to inspect the wiring harness, the wiring diagram that I have shows IC-8 with a red wire on pin 3 and a yellow wire on pin 7. Normally on most vehicles these should be Radio switch..(ignition) wire (red) and 12 Volt Constant (yellow). Both of these wire show to go directly to the power amplifier in the rear of the vehicle. Also on IC-19 There is a Brown/Red wire on pin 1 and a Brown/Red wire on pin 2. One of these Brown/Red wires goes to the fuse box on the passenger side to a 10A fuse and the other Brown/Red wire goes to the trunk fuse box to a 5A fuse.
My question is...which of these wires would be used for Radio switch, and which would be used for 12 volt constant. I hope I'm not sounding too confusing, but I want to connect the wiring harness from an aftermarket stereo to 12 volt constant and Radio switching (ignition-off/on). Anyone had experience with this issue...? (I've already identified the ground wire on IC-19..on pin-0...that one was easy....).Can anyone help?.....

IC-8 is part of the Alpine AI-Net. Do not try to use that for power, it is only meant for low power devices like the CD changer, and is in a jacketed multi-conductor cable.

Non-switched battery power is on both IC-19 pins 1 and 2 (both brown-red). They actually go to the same passenger side fuse. (The square boxes in the diagram indicate they are direct battery (unswitched) feeds).

IC-19 pin 7 is ignition switched (a white wire). The circle it connects to in the diagram indicates it is ignition switched, and the 'I' at the botton of the circle means it is switched on in the first ignition position.

The ground is actually IC-19, pin 6, (black). There is no pin 0.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 06-17-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
IC-8 is part of the Alpine AI-Net. Do not try to use that for power, it is only meant for low power devices like the CD changer, and is in a jacketed multi-conductor cable.

Non-switched battery power is on both IC-19 pins 1 and 2 (both brown-red). They actually go to the same passenger side fuse. (The square boxes in the diagram indicate they are direct battery (unswitched) feeds).

IC-19 pin 7 is ignition switched (a white wire). The circle it connects to in the diagram indicates it is ignition switched, .and the 'I' at the botton of the circle means it is switched on in the first ignition position.

The ground is actually IC-19, pin 6, (black). There is no pin 0.
Looking at the diagram I have for 2001 XK8 Convertible w/Premium Alpine System, does not show a pin 7 on IC-19. There is also no reference to a White wire. The diagram I have only show pins 1 thru 6 on IC-19. Are you sure there is white wire on IC-19, pin 7 ? Not doubting you...just want to make sure....maybe I have the wrong diagram.....I really need to know which wire is ignition switched. I really appreciate your help....

Last edited by Magnetvision; 06-17-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:12 PM

One more thing....pin 1 on IC-20 shows to be an Orange/Yellow wire which goes to the "Instrument Pack". Since I don't plan to use any of these pins on IC-20....does this wire need to be connected to anything ? Is it essential that it be used ?

Old 06-17-2011, 11:24 PM

Looking at the diagram I have for 2001 XK8 Convertible w/Premium Alpine System, does not show a pin 7 on IC-19. There is also no reference to a White wire. The diagram I have only show pins 1 thru 6 on IC-19. Are you sure there is white wire on IC-19, pin 7 ? Not doubting you...just want to make sure....maybe I have the wrong diagram.....I really need to know which wire is ignition switched. I really appreciate your help....
Oh....never mind...I see it....(feelin kinda stupid now). Thank you sir....

Old 06-18-2011, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

One more thing....pin 1 on IC-20 shows to be an Orange/Yellow wire which goes to the "Instrument Pack". Since I don't plan to use any of these pins on IC-20....does this wire need to be connected to anything ? Is it essential that it be used ?
No, thats just a speed input for speed dependent audio volume. You do not need to connect it.