XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 XKR ECM Reflash?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 05:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 XKR ECM Reflash?

Bought a 2001 XKR about a year ago that slipped a timing chain and needed a new head.
I replaced the head started it up and it seemed to run fine, the CEL was on but it started easily, idled well and sounded good when lightly revving it but I did not drive it.
As it was idling I noticed the Supercharger rattling so after some research I pulled it and replaced the coupler.
I reinstalled the supercharger started it up again and the red and green lights were flashing, it won't idle, transmission code is on etc, etc.
I checked for air leaks all the normal stuff but everything looked good.
I decided to take it to a good local mechanic that I use often for other vehicles and trust.
He said he reset the CEL to see what codes came back and has checked everything that has come up, after some calls and researching factory service bulletins he has decided the ECM needs to be reflashed.
This is where the problem arises, he has the equipment to reflash Jaguars but from what he has been told he is not able to reflash the 2001 model?
This seems strange to me?
Is it possible to remove the ECM and send it off?
Has he been told wrong about not being able to reflash it?
Is it even the ECM?
I am about 2-3 hours away from the nearest dealer but I probably wouldn't take to one anyway.
Any help is appreciated!

Old 08-02-2013, 06:06 PM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Originally Posted by rtarh2o
........ He said he reset the CEL to see what codes came back and has checked everything that has come up.........
Welcome to the forum rtarh2o,

For the best advice, you should post the actual codes that have come up. Without those it's guesswork and speculation.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST section and introduce yourself and your vehicle to all the members. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice on posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 08-02-2013, 06:19 PM

I am not exactly sure what codes have reappeared, when I pulled the codes there were 17 codes! Misfire on 4 cylinders and the MAF were the big ones though.
The mechanic says he has checked the misfires and the MAF, the coils are good, MAF tests good, he can find a few minor problems but nothing to explain everything.
My original thought was I might have missed some wiring connections, or possibly some bad connections when working on it?
I guess my main question is can the ECM be reflashed on a 2001 XKR by someone other than the dealer?
I believe he said the 2001 and 02 can only be done by the dealer,
anyone heard of this?

Old 08-02-2013, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 421 Posts

Just to check the basics- did you use the timing chain tools? Can you remove the valve covers and check to make sure the cam flats all line up?

Old 08-02-2013, 09:43 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

'Reflashing' the ECM is not going to cure 4 cylinders from misfiring and the gearbox faults.

Software updates are for fine tuning the ECM or addressing a 'glitch' in the previous software edition.

There were several TSBs for ECM 'flash programming'.

There are many in the large file section that I and others have uploaded.

Here are a few that I remembered from years of recalls and service actions.

You might read through all of them to see if any apply or contact the local dealer to see if any or all have already been performed for your VIN.

I have never heard of someone sending the ECM for reflash. I always needed the entire car with the networks intact for programming modules. The factory would be able to do anything to any module.

bob gauff

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
File Type: pdf
303-53 Hesitation When Cold.pdf (134.4 KB, 157 views)
Old 08-02-2013, 09:51 PM

I do not have the official factory tools but have some home made tools that work well. I have not checked the cam alignment since getting it back together but just assumed it wouldn't start as well as it does if it was off?
That is easy enough to check though and might explain the misfires.
I do need to get with the mechanic on Monday and find out what codes came back after clearing them, if it is still misfiring and the coils are good as he says a simple explanation could be timing being off due to timing chain?
Question is, would it still start easily if the cam was off by a link on the chain.
I didn't mention that it must also be in safe mode because it won't rev beyond 3,000 rpm, the engine will stay running if you give it gas, just won't idle and is obviously running rough.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

I have seen this before. We had a car in the shop with a similar issue. You need to go back & check the cam timing with the tools. I think you will find the timing is off a little.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by rtarh2o
I didn't mention that it must also be in safe mode because it won't rev beyond 3,000 rpm, the engine will stay running if you give it gas, just won't idle and is obviously running rough.
RPMs are limited in Park or Neutral.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
I have seen this before. We had a car in the shop with a similar issue. You need to go back & check the cam timing with the tools. I think you will find the timing is off a little.
I will pull the valve covers and check the timing, I guess it is possible I missed TDC, or possibly the crank could have moved, I have done a couple other cars since this one but normally I make sure everything is locked down pretty good.... but I miss things often too!
This makes more and more sense the more I think about it.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

Make sure you put the tools on the cams to make sure they are properly aligned.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:28 AM
Default Still not running!

Ok, have been busy with other projects lately but the XKR is still doing the same thing!
Checked the cam timing, the flats are aligned.
I had the entire engine and trans out, after quite a bit of searching on this forum I know there are a few other things I can check.
The trans cable not being adjusted can cause problems along with TB, etc but will any of these keep it from idling? I would think the TB would, maybe MAF too?
The car is still at the mechanic and he says he has checked all the connectors, wiring etc. I originally was throwing a code for MAF but after clearing a couple times it has gone away.
Would the ECM make is run so bad, not even idle?
Could the ECM go bad just sitting for 2 years? It ran fine before the cylinder head replacement (was run out of oil, I assume it ran fine)
The mechanic now has the ECM out of the car for replacement but I really don't see how it could just go bad, I think it must be something else?

Old 11-17-2013, 11:13 AM

Ok, a little more information, the current mechanic is determined it is the ECM but I really have my doubts.
The gas is probably about 2 years old in it, has been sitting in several shops now for at least 2 years including my work shop where I pulled the engine, replaced the head and chain tensioners.
Replaced the spark plugs while I was there.
Fuel filter could cause the problem, loose connector could cause the problem, TB could cause the problem, etc, etc.
The main code he is concerned with is
"P1643 CAN TCM TOKEN message missing"
Which makes him think it is the ECM, I still think it could be something else I did and overlooked, or bad gas, filter etc.
I am going to get the car back to my own shop and start going through things myself this week just looking for ideas of where to start?
What could it most likely be if that is even possible?

Old 11-17-2013, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Your latest set of problems arose immediately after the supercharger work.

That points directly at the work as being the suspect. It didn't get put back together properly.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:20 AM
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Similar Issues following new Inlet Manifold

Had a similar experience with a 1998 XK8 4.0 in the workshop about 3 months ago. It came in with a cracked inlet manifold which was duly changed, it looked like someone had over tightened the fasteners and cracked off a piece. When the work was done the car initially started but later refused to run properly throwing all sorts of fault codes. Much head scratching, fiddling and checking and the engine wiring loom was found to have cracked insulation all over the place. I recon when we moved the loom about during the work we caused cracked pieces to fall off exposing short circuits or breaks and throwing the ecu into disarray. A replacement form a breakers yard was £30.00 and needed an hour and a half to install with about 1/2 hour fiddling time to clean all the connections and treat with electrical cleaner/ lubricant. Once in all ran normally and has done since. One other thing ALL the associated earth points were cleaned and checked also, just as a matter of coarse worth doing if the car has been sitting a while.