XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 XKR VS 03-06 XKR Reliability etc

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 03:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 XKR VS 03-06 XKR Reliability etc

Hey everyone, just joined up. I've been a Jag guy for years and previously owned a 2001 XJ8 which I drove from 34k miles to 110K with virtually no problems. I have an 04 XJR which I bought with 40k and have logged 30k problem free miles. I'm looking into an XKR as well. I'm very familiar with all the changes between 2002 and 2003 which clearly indicates a truckload of differences. However, does this translate into reliability as well? The 03's and up are significantly more expensive (even with similar mileage) and I'm sure that's because of the performance upgrades etc. but I don't really care about them unless it means a lot more reliability. The 00, 01, 02 Benz gearbox seems to be a great piece and the motor has the 2nd gen tensioners which appear pretty sound (maybe at 100k I'd do the Gen 3 swap). Can you guys enlighten me as to anything I may be overlooking or things I should know? For 4 to 6 thousand dollars difference I can buy a lot of gas

Old 05-18-2013, 03:32 PM
Received 112 Likes on 56 Posts

No issues with my 02 here.

From a reliability side the biggest difference is that the 03+ 4.2's you don't have to worry about the secondary tensioners, which you usually have to do on 02's, but if you find a 4.0 with the upgrade (or do it yourself) then its a no issue. Other things like nikisil linings, waterpump, thermostat housing, etc are no longer a problem in the later 4.0 years. The 4.0 XKR goes plenty fast, so like you said I don't really think there is a large difference there (not to mention a simple SC pulley upgrade takes you ahead of where the 4.2 SC's unit is anyways).

I think a significant difference is the 02's 5 speed gearbox, which is a Mercedes Benz 722.6 compared to the ZF in the later years. I'm a DIY type of guy, and I can very easily work on and maintain the 722.6, which would not be the case with the ZF. The 722.6 is a tank, and also has plenty of aftermarket parts available - for example, I upgraded the shift solenoids in my 5 speed to the MB blue tops (used in the AMG SL's, the SLR Mclaren, and Maybachs) and the difference is amazing.

I've owned my 02 for a few years now and there hasn't been a single issue I could not fix myself in the garage.

Last edited by pomosv; 05-18-2013 at 03:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
weisberg (05-30-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pomosv
No issues with my 02 here.

From a reliability side the biggest difference is that the 03+ 4.2's you don't have to worry about the secondary tensioners, which you usually have to do on 02's, but if you find a 4.0 with the upgrade (or do it yourself) then its a no issue. Other things like nikisil linings, waterpump, thermostat housing, etc are no longer a problem in the later 4.0 years. The 4.0 XKR goes plenty fast, so like you said I don't really think there is a large difference there (not to mention a simple SC pulley upgrade takes you ahead of where the 4.2 SC's unit is anyways).

I think a significant difference is the 02's 5 speed gearbox, which is a Mercedes Benz 722.6 compared to the ZF in the later years. I'm a DIY type of guy, and I can very easily work on and maintain the 722.6, which would not be the case with the ZF. The 722.6 is a tank, and also has plenty of aftermarket parts available - for example, I upgraded the shift solenoids in my 5 speed to the MB blue tops (used in the AMG SL's, the SLR Mclaren, and Maybachs) and the difference is amazing.

I've owned my 02 for a few years now and there hasn't been a single issue I could not fix myself in the garage.
Thanks so much. I was thinking that was the case, but it's great to hear confirmation. Also, I didn't know either of those points about the trans or the sc belt, so ill look into that upon purchase. By the way, what do you figure it costs to change the shift solenoids and sc belt?
Thanks again

Old 05-18-2013, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

The only real down side to the 03+ that I can think of is the fuel pump. There have been a few failures (mine included) and it's an insanely expensive part. Other than that, they are pretty similar.

The SC belt is easy to do yourself if you have 20 minutes. Belts cost anywhere from about $15 to $50 depending on whether you end up with a Gate or Goodyear part or the official Jaguar one.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:55 PM
Received 112 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 87Titan
Thanks so much. I was thinking that was the case, but it's great to hear confirmation. Also, I didn't know either of those points about the trans or the sc belt, so ill look into that upon purchase. By the way, what do you figure it costs to change the shift solenoids and sc belt?
Thanks again
I picked up the blue top solenoids new in a sealed MB box from parts.com for about $150 each (you need 2). It's best to combine the change with a tranny fluid flush, because you can drop the pan, change the tranny filter, install the solenoids, and fill it back up with new fluid giving your tranny a nice makeover. I did it myself (easy if you're a DIY type), but if you have a shop do it I can't imagine it would take more than an hour of labor.

The SC upgrade (that's what I originally mentioned and what I suspect you're referring to) is actually upgrading the SC pulley, not the belt (though you can upgrade to a nicer belt, like the goodyear gator, but that's another point). The pulley change is a little more involved depending on whether you go with the +1.5lbs boost (easy to install with the right tools), or the +3lbs pulley (little more involved, as its a smaller pulley and you need to grind down the tip of your SC housing/snout). There are some pictures in the thread in my signature. Either upgrade is great, but I'd recommend going all in if you're already digging into it, still completely drivable and behaved on the street, but at higher throttle it just takes off like nothing else.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:12 PM
Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

I had a 2000 XKR coupe for 2 years and I just recently bought a 2003 XKR coupe. I would get around 22 mpg overall with my 2000. The best I could get was maybe 24 mpg on the highway taking it very easy. Of course I didn't buy an XKR for mpg and that wasn't even on my mind when I bought my 2003. But I was amazed at the 26 mpg I averaged on the trip back from NJ to GA when I bought it. If I keep it at 70 I can get 28 mpg. For a lot of reasons I would say get the 2003 or newer.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What bit of time I have had with my 03 xkr has proven it to be quite the economy car compared to what I have owned in the past. I'm averaging around 23mpg mixed driving. Plently of goofing off associated with that too.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

The extra gear in the 03+ cars helps mileage a lot.

Getting 27 or 28mpg is pretty common and on a long flat run in the desert 30mpg is possible if you keep your foot out of it. But what fun is that?

Old 11-07-2013, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

All I can say is I love my 2002 XK8. I've had several things to sort out but she was a bit neglected when I found her. Chased down a faint coolant leak, new rotors, new shocks but I was lowering anyway, had an ac leak, easy fix. And the dreaded blown hydraulic hose but in the boot. Now all is well and just did elective transmission filter/fluid/gasket change, best thing yet!! And HOURS of fun modifying!! I'm glad I didn't spend 8-10k more for a newer so I could really get this one my way!!

Old 11-07-2013, 11:13 PM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Ya people are shocked when I tell them the mileage per gallon this car gets. I have been daily driving my 06 since purchase a few years ago and have only put about 1000 dollars into it (including maintenance) which is great considering how much I have driven it. The 4.2 seems really reliable so far- knock on burlwood.