Sponsored by:

2003 Jaguar XKR Locking Mechanism Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,292 Likes on 893 Posts
Default 2003 Jaguar XKR Locking Mechanism Problem

Good Morning All...

I have a problem that sounds simple,,, but nothing is so simple on a Jaguar that went for a swim...

At this point, if I turn the key in the door lock, the driver's door will respond and lock - mechanically. If everything is buttoned up (hood, doors, boot) alarm will chirp, set. BUT, and there's always a but, the passengers door does not respond. The alarm will chirp while the passengers door remains unlocked! Although I can electrically hear clicking and relays talking.

I don't have a FOB at this point.

When I get in the car, start it, and put it in gear, the doors do not lock, or unlock (if memory serves) at P with engine turned off grabbing the handle to exit- the passengers side doesn't unlock.

Basically the locks are not functioning.

I can hear relays and 'signals' being sent to lock and unlock when I work door handles, things stop there... They will go thru a few cycles of 'trying' to unlock.

I've messed around with the relays, worked the handles on the doors. Unplugged and clean contacts as best as possible. What's next?
​​​​
What would you do, lol???

Last edited by JayJagJay; 01-07-2020 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Both doors share the same lock relay. There is the passenger door lock control module and the lock actuator that are suspect.

Btw, you get power to door and window, mirror, puddle light works right? Door switch works, car knows if door is closed right?

Jay I've never removed either the lock actuator or the door module in these cars. Seems to me itd be easiest to get to the wire connector for the actuator. Look for 12v open close signal. + and - just swap position for each action.

There's no change or movement on the passenger door when you hear the cycles right? If wrong indicates signal getting to actuator, could help narrow down.

John

Old 01-07-2020, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,292 Likes on 893 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnken
Both doors share the same lock relay. There is the passenger door lock control module and the lock actuator that are suspect.

Btw, you get power to door and window, mirror, puddle light works right? Door switch works, car knows if door is closed right?

Jay I've never removed either the lock actuator or the door module in these cars. Seems to me itd be easiest to get to the wire connector for the actuator. Look for 12v open close signal. + and - just swap position for each action.

There's no change or movement on the passenger door when you hear the cycles right? If wrong indicates signal getting to actuator, could help narrow down.

John
Hey Man...!

Not at first but I've gotten both windows working up, down. Mirrors seem ok, lol, I haven't reinstalled the door cards (what a crazy pile of panels I have) bit I would assume so. All interior lights work and micros in door sense door open and closed at dash... Just no auto locking. I guess the way the SCLM (or what ever) reads things is more about if the signal was sent, more than if the actual mechanical contraption is in the right position...? The alarm will chirp, set, even tho the passengers door is not locked and the handle is in the unlocked position.

No change on the passengers side,,, no change to either (although I can hear something) when going from park into gear... The door handles, in terms of auto locking, are dead dead dead, lol

I didn't slow down enough to do it yesterday when I was chasing things but I couldn't figure out how to attack it... After reading a little bit today (after posting this) it seems like everything is ready to go except the actuator(s) themselves... I didn't even know what it looked like in there yesterday and didn't want just undo it all. I'm glad I didn't. I might be able to just reach in there and squeeeeeze it a few times to free it up...? Maybe it's just crusty... It does sit low in the door. Water lines, ya know?

Where is the module? Do you mean the one bolted inside of the door itself? I've replaced both of those, if that's what you mean...? Improved door workings well, but not locks. I was pissed!

I am close. Installed xk8 headlights yesterday. Had to do some rewiring and have an extra couple wires (still attached to the xkr OE plug) that are not in the diagram... Whole other story. Maybe I should start a thread?

I like the individual threads better, I think. More than the rescue thread. That one kinda does and can go all over the place. Later, I may just take the links to the individuals,,, and pop them with a title into the rescue thread...

Anyways...

Got some hardware today for the top,,, still a long ways away from ordering a new pump. Still have fueling problems and (thanks to YOU) I at least know what's wrong with the HVAC... Still don't know how to fix the HVAC, but that's a different story.

Old 01-07-2020, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

J,
Ok you have power to the door.

Lock in drive is a dealer optioned featurefeature. IOW previous owner could have asked dealer to it turn off.

Re the actuator: I read warnings for years, um I may have taken them lightly - the warning is: Don't put your hand inside the door unless battery disconnected. Take it real seriously.

It, window moves unexpectedly, can happen to you. Guess how I know? Scared the sh*t out of me. Just not worth it partner. Your fingers will lose the battle.
John

The following users liked this post:
JayJagJay (01-07-2020)