XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 XKR vs. 2008 Aston Martin Vantage

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 01:50 PM
Received 674 Likes on 487 Posts
Default 2004 XKR vs. 2008 Aston Martin Vantage

I’ve been looking forward to driving an Aston Martin Vantagefor a while and picked one up to drive this weekend from Club Sportiva (theyrented out my F-Type this weekend and figured I’d take something else and theAM was available).

The person that designed this car was insane. But first the good stuff. Engine sounds great, doors open up and out soyou don’t have to worry about hitting a curb, car is high enough to miss most obstacles,and the stereo sounds better than the Alpine that was in my XKR stock (but thatcould have been because the XKR’s speakers were in pretty bad shape). Unlike the XKR it has a second, hidden, cigarettelighter port for accessory power (it is in the cubby behind the seats). It has a better convertible top cover and popup anti roll bars. Oh and the car isdamned good looking.

Now the bad stuff, this has the AM single clutch automaticand the Jags is way better. Yes it hasthe steering wheel paddles but these single clutch units throw you forward andthen back when they change gears and that really sucks. The manual has to be better. You start the car by putting in the key andturning on the ignition then hit the starter button. You stop the car by turning off the key, thestarter button is just stupid when you can’t go keyless. The Recaro seats in the Jag don’t look ascool as the AM’s but they are a ton more comfortable. Good to find out as I was tempted to swapthe seats in my car for a set of AM’s, not doing that now. The navigation screen is larger than the XKR’sand you can still get maps for it (though I understand they are wickedexpensive) but the implementation under a motorized lid actually looks cheapand kind of like the look an aftermarket part and glued it to the movinglid. Like the XKR, even though it is 4years newer, it doesn’t have an SD or USB slot, nor any way I can see to add asound accessory. You sitlow in the car and even though I’m reasonably tall at 5’11” the door is toohigh to comfortably put my arm out and with the top up it feels very closedinside, it is not an easy car to see out of.

I was told stories of folks coming in to my local Jag dealerwith new Aston Martins and leaving pissed because the F-Type was so much better(it really is a fantastic car). But tome my old 2004 XKR is far more fun and comfortable to drive as well and foranyone thinking of swapping their XK8/R for one you really should drive onefirst. I’ve also driven a DB-9 whichreminded me of a Lincoln Continental, it is far more comfortable but it is likedriving a boat.

Picture of the Aston Martin I have for the weekendbelow:

Attached Thumbnails 2004 XKR vs. 2008 Aston Martin Vantage-wp_20131026_09_47_55_pro.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
x-biker (10-27-2013)
Old 10-28-2013, 11:51 PM
Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

I agree with you on the Vantage - its a gorgeous car, but it's a rough driving car. I disagree with you about the DB9 though - it's not only gorgeous, but it drives really well. Don't forget, it's a gentlemen's GT, so it's suspension is tuned for a softer ride.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:05 AM
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Well...i've read the Aston stuff but i love my XKR and wouldn't swap it for that tin bucket that every time you drive it into a garage the bloke sucks air across his teeth and say's " sorry mate it ain't gonna be cheap." The cat rules the rest.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

I actually debated on trading my XF and XK8 for a 2006 vantage. I was thinking about finally having my Aston, but when I drove it, I too was left cold. Sure, it turned EVERY head (only a few more than my XK8) and I did feel like all was finally right with the world, but then after about 30 minutes, it was uncomfortable compared to my XK8, and I agree about the shifting. My gut just felt like it was telling me to prepare myself for some serious repair costs. The owner jokingly said if I could afford my XK8 repair costs, I could handle the Aston. WHAT??? Shouldn't the answer had been "what repair costs?" ! In the end, I decided to keep both my original cars and put some $ into the XK8 (hence the new paint).
I found I'm just a Jaguar guy!! Cooler badges!! Lol
All being said, the Aston was really beautiful tho!!