XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.0 xkr intake ideas? AND Other Questions

Old 09-04-2014, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts
Default 4.0 xkr intake ideas? AND Other Questions

SO Ive been looking around but didnt want to jump at anything till I knew my car was running well, passing inspection and having no check engine lights. So far so good

So a few Items/Questions

1) I have a spare 4.2 engine I picked up. I was planning on swapping the SC from that engine to my current 4.0. I know TB are different. Anything else I should look out for? Hoses I should change etc

2)Does anyone sell an intake pipe for this engine? If not what size should I go with? I do plan on upgrading the MAF for better flow as well as boring the TB. So I was tinking 3.5" Any thoughts? Ive seen MANY PHOTOS...And read a smuch as I could..But there can be moreL:O)

3)I ordered a new IC pump...Just incase

4)I want to change the fuel pump. Mine has 158,000 questionable miles. I know teh current setup can handle plenty when functioning properly but I want long term reliability as well as a possible upgrade. Just unsure if increasing the pump volume in this setup will have any negative effects except potentially heating the fuel.

Thansk all:O)!

Damon

Old 09-04-2014, 10:14 PM
Received 673 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Thoughts

After doing major modifications over a number of months, chasing down lean code gremlins and then having to figure out how to get the thing through smog test I really don't think messing with the intake is anywhere near worth the trouble. It already is a cold air intake and chances are you'll make things worse. Oh and the MAF can get really messed up if you don't end up with a clean (non-turbulent) air flow and changing out the MAF isn't for the timid. It does look cool to have it done. If you decide to do it you want 3" tubing. The existing is 2.5" I believe and you'll want to go bigger or what's the point? You'll need to plumb into the wheel well on the right side and that's where you'll likely put your filter making filter change a fun task of pulling off the tire/wheel, removing the liner, then changing out the filter. Were it me, I'd work on something else like a smaller pulley for the SC you'll get more bang for the buck. On the XKR opening up the exhaust can help as well. But messing with the exhaust without knowing what you are doing can get expensive as well (buy a matched set). Make sure you do an oil change on the new SC and that it is in as good shape as the old one. If you do a pulley your best option to cool the intake is likely a Chiller Killer. If you want to go crazy do the twin screw SC upgrade but be aware it is about $10K all in.

You can see the stuff I've done (I'm a bit nuts) here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...project-82601/

Old 09-04-2014, 11:11 PM
Veteran Member

I already read your build several times! My car already had when I bought it no center muffler. I replaced the rear with the mina delete kit. Its a bit to loud when I get on it but otherwise sounds real good actually.

I had a bunch of issues with the car when I got it and managed to clear them up one by one except for a catalytic issue in which my monitor wont reset, Car runs great though. Very strange.

Now I do have the Mina air filter kit on my car currently and I knwo Ill here it again about hot air entering etc. Well I have no check engine lights and it actually seem sto run a bit better. MAF was cleaned as well and my intake tube being wrapped as it was crumbling in the typical fashion. Now why I want the intake

I have alot of experience with eaton twin helix blowers as well as typical roots type type. Being air movers and not compressors any restriction before the SC inlet will reduce boost and power. As an example on a typicalk 3.8L ford V6 egine The factory inlet is way restrictive on the smaller m90. On an otherwise stock pullied m90 an 85mm TB and 3.5" inlet pipe seems to be ideal(with a cone filter in the engine compartment). When running cam , head work etc and a modified m90 pushing closer to 19psi the game was upped with a 95mm TB and 4" tube. May seem overkill but dyno numbers and track times just dont lie. My little v6 with ported larger valve stovck heads a 1.7 twin screw(air to air IC) and a relatively small .520 lift cam produced over 400 to the wheels at 17psi. All with a 90mm MAF and 3.5" inlet tube. I had bought th e95mm TB and was going to upgrade but ended up converting it to turbo.

So really what Im sayig is I dont want to leave power on teh table due to restriction. Anything that causes me an issue (such as I recall you having with your intake) Ill surely remove it. Because quite honestly I do not know what aggravates these cars and have no means to do any tuning whatsoever.

So likely you will find me cursing at it in the near future fo rsure:O) I dont plan on modifying it nearly as much as you....Just a bit here and there just to fix her up and get a lil more pep

Old 07-03-2015, 02:22 PM
Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts

Many will dump on this but I'll just share my experience and you can decide if you want to do it or not.

When I was about to drive home after getting my S VDP, I put it in Sport mode and floored it. It bogged a little and took off. I backed up to the same starting point and after removing the stock air box, installed a large cone filter.

I didn't brake torque just floored it like before and I burned rubber down the length of my building. It transformed the car and never faded. Even sitting it hot traffic in summer.

Everyone says you lose power by pulling in hot air. My experiences show other wise. I couldn't break my tires lose before, after a 5 min change my old girl smoked em all though first gear. Once you start moving, outside air is finding it's way in.

After a few months when I was cleaning the throttle body, I started really looking at the throttle body air tube and noticed it was pushed down to give hood clearance. Nothing to benefit air flow. It's a horrible restriction and no Jaguar should suffer this piece of crap touching it.

I picked up a 90 degree tube that was close to the diameter of the throttle body and connected it to the MAF using flex pipe.

Again...a very noticeable increase in power. From beginning to redline. Just ripped the tires even in Drive mode using second. It's louder but to me it's a great sound.

Over the last 13 + years, I've had the chance to meet some pretty cool guys. The engineers who only design airbox's just hate the final product after its reduced and reduced in size. They were always very quick to point to me (they were embarrassed and pissed) out how much larger they're box was and how much better it flowed.

Our cars are not Ferrari's. Jaguar used sedan parts to finish off the add on's. The stock airbox and tubing isn't for performance. The factory was more concerned about passing the drive sound check, at a low and mid speed. They also had to have a certain amount of clearance between hood and the high points of the engine. That's why that intake connector tube is pushed in. It has nothing to do with performance in mind.

You can make an ugly one on the cheap by getting a Spector 90' 3" tube for the throttle body, some 3" flex hose and the biggest Spector cone filter. K and N invented the reusable cotton & oil air filter design but I like the Spector brand better. Instead of a flat end cap it was an inverted one.

So for under $60 you can try it out. If you love it there is a member who makes a gorgeous throttle body connector tube out of polished metal. TIG welded and buffed out, it will give you both performance and show car bragging abilities when you open your hood.

If you hate the cone filter I'll buy it off
you. I need a new one any way. Please get a blue one if you think you want to send it to MI.

Best regards,

GGK

The following 3 users liked this post by GGabriel:
kulddy (07-13-2015), MarkyUK (07-04-2015), regger21 (07-04-2015)
Old 07-04-2015, 08:25 AM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

GG,
Interesting. I've been looking thru older threads about intake and seeing a lot of similar results. Did you bore the TB or enlarge the MAF? Makes sense that using the same intake for the NA car would not be peak efficiency in the SC cars.

The following users liked this post:
kulddy (07-13-2015)
Old 07-04-2015, 01:34 PM
Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Slowpoke,

I am about to do the very same supercharger swap with my XJR. I am going to replace my heater feed and return hoses, bypass hose, clean charge coolers, clean part load breather hose or replace, reinstall everything and call it a day. From old posts it looks like to only mod is to make clearance for the larger SC end bearings and port the inlet elbow if you want. If i did not have to replace my old style supercharger duct seals with the upgrades ones i would spring for an over bored TB.

I am going to make my own intake tube (like yours mine is starting to crumble) going to go with 3.5'' and use the stock maf. If i am super happy i will go with a larger maf and change to a 3.5-4'' tube like Water Dragon did. I have seen some of the abaco 97mm DBX meters on sale here in the US for cheap. Paragon Designs (XKRacer) has intakes for sale on his website: Paragon Design UK - Jaguar XK8 & XKR Engine Detailing, Upgrades

I remember an old post Avos put up comparing stock and aftermarket fuel pumps flow at different pressure. I think he was running Bosch pumps and i recall another twin screw guy was running stock primary and Walbro 255 secondary. If i can find the post i'll link it.

Last edited by Mvirgil; 07-04-2015 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Walbro not waterloo!
Old 07-04-2015, 03:23 PM
Received 318 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvirgil
Slowpoke,

I am about to do the very same supercharger swap with my XJR. I am going to replace my heater feed and return hoses, bypass hose, clean charge coolers, clean part load breather hose or replace, reinstall everything and call it a day. From old posts it looks like to only mod is to make clearance for the larger SC end bearings and port the inlet elbow if you want. If i did not have to replace my old style supercharger duct seals with the upgrades ones i would spring for an over bored TB.

I am going to make my own intake tube (like yours mine is starting to crumble) going to go with 3.5'' and use the stock maf. If i am super happy i will go with a larger maf and change to a 3.5-4'' tube like Water Dragon did. I have seen some of the abaco 97mm DBX meters on sale here in the US for cheap. Paragon Designs (XKRacer) has intakes for sale on his website: Paragon Design UK - Jaguar XK8 & XKR Engine Detailing, Upgrades

I remember an old post Avos put up comparing stock and aftermarket fuel pumps flow at different pressure. I think he was running Bosch pumps and i recall another twin screw guy was running stock primary and Waterloo 255 secondary. If i can find the post i'll link it.
I guess you mean Walbro 255. I have 2*Walbro.

Old 07-04-2015, 04:21 PM
Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

thanks for the correction!

Old 07-05-2015, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member

I just wanted to update a bit. After a lil fender bender finally got the car back and started playing with it. I had only the MINA air intake kit which is a heat shield and filter. Been that way for some time now. No issues. I decided to install my 3.5" intake pipe and well now I get blower whine (I like) during full acceleration however I do feel a loss in performance. I was unable to fit my heat shield and the car is probably sucking in hot air. Now normally that isn't really to much an issue (many will disagree) however I feel this car through the MAFS temp sensor is reading the hot air and reducing timing. If I'm cruising on the highway and floor it I don't have the loss of performance issue. Its a low speed thing . My next mod will be getting the heat shield to work with the bigger MAF and intake and see how that goes. Then I will add my newly cleaned and coated IC's newly rebuilt late model blower, and bored TB. I also want to swap out pumps being I have 160,xxx miles now and still not sure what I want to do. Larger Primary or larger secondary? Likely even two stock replacements would be fine but I have some plans for my 4.2 and don't want to do this twice. I dont want to go bosch likely walbro...Just unsure which size and or combo

Originally Posted by Mvirgil
Slowpoke,

I remember an old post Avos put up comparing stock and aftermarket fuel pumps flow at different pressure. I think he was running Bosch pumps and i recall another twin screw guy was running stock primary and Walbro 255 secondary. If i can find the post i'll link it.

The following users liked this post:
regger21 (07-06-2015)