XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 Shifter Microswitches Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 10:09 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 97 Shifter Microswitches Issues

I have been trying to get the Jag back on the road since having the tranny swapped, and have been having the 'transmission fault' issues. I have adjusted the shifter cable a few times to no avail. I have taken the shifter cover off and observed the shifting action and still not been able to solve. Finally, yesterday I noticed something askew...yes, both levers are missing from the park and neutral switch. If one was missing and the other there, that would have been easier to spot. I removed the whole shifter mechanism so I could mess with it on the bench. I did recover one lever (shorter lever) but not the other. I was reading up on the issue from this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e-p0706-52069/

Can anyone else offer any advice? Anybody else solved this problem?

Where to buy?

Compatibility with other models (oldest Jag in local boneyard is 02 S Type)?
If I start drilling in the corner, am I going to pierce the switch board inside?

Any help is appreciated.

B

Attached Thumbnails 97 Shifter Microswitches Issues-jag-shifter-switch.jpg  
Old 06-11-2018, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

I have nothing specific here, but I just replaced a switch on the family ice maker this week end, and have a sense that these "limit switches" are available everywhere for very cheap, and are pretty standard. Have you checked that these switches still work? Do they click and bounce back? Do you see the resistance change on the harness connector? If so, the body of these switches can likely be opened. They just pull apart, there is no glue or snaps. If you manage to locate those levers, they can likely be re-inserted by opening the switch body enough to put the lever back, then push the body back together. Looks like these rivets will have to be drilled and replaced, nothing too challenging.

I bough what comes up when you search eBay for "KW4-3Z-3 Micro Switch", 5 pcs for a few $.

Again, I have nothing specific to this issue, but general help for limit switches. You will have to check the wiring of the switches. They are normally open or normally closed. The new switches offer terminals for both, so make sure you solder the right post, same as the Jaguar wiring.

Old 06-11-2018, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

Not the cheapest way of solving the problem, but new parts are available :

https://www.sngbarratt.com/uk/#!/Eng...9-33adc954d019

Edit - just seen fmertz's post.
Yes - microswitches are available very cheaply - In the UK - RadioSpares can supply : 472-8336 is exactly the same EXCEPT those levers are a specific length and bent to a specific shape so you would need to adapt slightly :

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/micro...8336/?sra=pstk

I'm not convinced that is at the root of your problem but it would be one thing to rule out of the "possible cause" list.

Last edited by DevonDavid; 06-11-2018 at 10:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Johnken (06-11-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 11:06 AM

Yes, the switches work fine. I am able to cycle through all the gears and have all the gear lights light up with the gear selection cover loose. With the covered screwed down, the shifter lever does not engage the park switch because of the missing lever. With the cover loose, i can push in the park switch button with the shifter lever and this will release the lock actuater.

So the switches are not the issue, it is their lack of levers. The levers just rotate on little plastic nubs on each side of the switch. The nubs are wore away or broke on this 145k car.

Yes, this may not be the root of my issue, but i can not move forward until I get this issue fixed. As stated above, i can not shift through the gears with the cover attached because it does not engage the park switch which allows the actuater to release the shifter lock.

If i am not able to solve on the work bench, I may have to look into buying from SNG. I realize with these older cars it is either throw $$$ money at them or use this website and the online resources to fix. I would like to think i should be able to do the latter.

B

Old 06-11-2018, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Looking at the picture of the original Jaguar part, it does not seem to be much of a challenge to work something out with these cheap eBay switches, and bend/shorten the lever to shape. At a few $ for 5 switches, there is even room for error.

You probably already know, but if you need to literally move forward today, you can remove the plastic plug on the shifter bezel and bypass the shift interlock altogether, so even if the park switch is not engaged, you should be able to get the car out of park and drive around.

The following users liked this post:
toaster (06-11-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 12:17 PM

Electronics are not my strong suit, but I may try that before buying a new unit.

B

Old 06-11-2018, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member

Just buy a couple of microswitches and move the levers across to the old ones.
They should just "clip in" but otherwise, drill a 1mm hole all the way through the plastic switch, and then use a bit of strong steel wire (the thing that Apple supplies to remove the sim card on an iPhone is good if cut down a bit and bent round at the corners) to secure everything in place.

But - as previously said - the length and profile of those levers is fairly critical.

Old 06-11-2018, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member

I think the way the lever mounts is pretty "universal" :

Name:  microswitch.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  6.0 KB