XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'98 Antifreeze Compatability

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 01:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '98 Antifreeze Compatability

Ok, Ive read all the threads about the different antifreeze and I really didn't come away with much other than my 98 xk8 was supose to use the Dow542 Yellow stuff. My questions are simple...
1. Is there a name brand easily found product that is the same thing or compatable?
2. If I flush the system, can I use the G 05 Zerex and is that the best choice given my model year?

(I refuse to go to the dealer for anything after they quoted me $1100 to change the radiator hoses and $2100 to change two lower bushings!)

Old 02-01-2014, 04:15 PM

Anyone?

Old 02-01-2014, 05:46 PM
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by fjroze
(I refuse to go to the dealer for anything after they quoted me $1100 to change the radiator hoses...)

Holy crap - I did that job myself on my XK8 when I still had it. I'm not seeing how it could justify that many hours or dollars. You should be able to find a shade tree mechanic who could handle that for a case of beer, for pitys sake.

As for the bushings, I'm not sure - never did those but that job still sounds overpriced. And you should pay attention to whatever color antifreeze it says on the expansion tank/coolant cap area. The color matters. Some anti-freezes are made of different components that could harm an engine not made for them. My XK8 was ok with the yellow or green stuff, if I recall correctly; but my XKR demands the orange stuff to prevent seals from breaking down. It sounds silly but definitely not worth screwing with cooling systems on an aluminum engine. What's your manual say?

Last edited by BurgXK8; 02-01-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

+1 on staying with the factory recommended color. It does matter.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:45 AM

Well, factory coolant is yellow Dow542 but the G05 is yellow too. Im not sure color would be a definite answer. All I know is when I bought it I topped it off with green on the way home. Ooops. I think one of the heater hoses is leaking. Trying to track it down now before I drain the system, but want to know what to fill it back up with. Like I said I refuse to go to the dealer.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:41 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

...... Im not sure color would be a definite answer. .........
Correct. It's not the colour or brand that's the determinand, it's the specification.

On the container label should be the information that it complies with or exceeds ESD-M97-B49-A

This is a Ford standard so you can avoid going to a Jaguar Dealer.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails '98 Antifreeze Compatability-coolant.jpg  
Old 02-02-2014, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jag#4
+1 on staying with the factory recommended color. It does matter.
Oops. Did I say color? Meant specs.

Graham is correct (as usual).

Old 02-02-2014, 12:26 PM

Thats great! So my original questions 1 & 2 still apply. Ok, call me lazy for not wanting to read the fine print on every coolant label I can find. Is it a Ford coolant that I have to go to a Ford dealer to get?

Old 02-03-2014, 03:36 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

...... Ok, call me lazy........
Hello lazy,

You don't have to go to Ford dealer. The coolant is a formulation specification, not a monopoly.

Just as you can buy the same specification oil from different manufacturers, so you can buy the same specification coolant from different manufacturers.

There are two options:

1. Lazy only
buy ESD-M97-B49-A specification coolant from any autoparts retailer

2. Lazy + Rich
send your Gulfstream to NCL airport for me, book me a suite at the Sorrento or Bellevue Club for a week and I'll come to Seattle and do the coolant for you

Graham

Old 02-04-2014, 04:52 PM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Good for all colors, formulations, cars, etc: Prestone® Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant | Prestone®

From what I've been told, the bushings will require a press & some serious time, but shouldn't be more than a $1200 job.

Radiator hoses... did they mean ALL coolant hoses in the engine bay??? Even the little ones running under the intake, and the rat nest near the firewall? For thatprice it would make sense.

Last edited by Mr. Feathers; 02-04-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
Hello lazy,

You don't have to go to Ford dealer. The coolant is a formulation specification, not a monopoly.

Just as you can buy the same specification oil from different manufacturers, so you can buy the same specification coolant from different manufacturers.

There are two options:

1. Lazy only
buy ESD-M97-B49-A specification coolant from any autoparts retailer

2. Lazy + Rich
send your Gulfstream to NCL airport for me, book me a suite at the Sorrento or Bellevue Club for a week and I'll come to Seattle and do the coolant for you

Graham

LOL! It would probably still be cheaper than taking it to the dealer!

And yes Im lazy so thank you Mr. Feathers for a simple answer to a simple question.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Feathers
Good for all colors, formulations, cars, etc: Prestone® Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant | Prestone®
Absolutely not. Dexcool in disguise.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by plums
As I'm no expert on the issue, I would appreciate an education on why this is... especially since I've been running this stuff in my xk8!

My understanding is that Jaguar used "OAT" stype formulations (pre '98 or was it '00? was yellow, but now it's orange). This Prestone formula is supposed to be HOAT, compatible just lasts a little longer.

In my Jag, since I bought it used, I have no way of knowing what they used in the past. When I got it, the coolant looked to be green (inorganic) - and if that is accurate, then I need to flush the system well - because OAT and HOAT do not mix with old fashioned inorganics (they gel up). Also, my understanding is that inorganic used silica which is bad for modern engines.

Last edited by Mr. Feathers; 02-05-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plums
Is there an issue with Dex-Cool? I have been using this since I have owned the blue cat based on info found here on the forum. According to Prestone it is WSS-M97B44-D compatible. Am I missing something?

Attached Images  
Old 02-05-2014, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jag#4
Is there an issue with Dex-Cool? I have been using this since I have owned the blue cat based on info found here on the forum. According to Prestone it is WSS-M97B44-D compatible. Am I missing something?
...I will add that, according to infor found on this forum, the earlier years (up to '00?) did not ome with Dex-Cool. They had a yellow "Jaguar D542" fluid. Google can't seem to find anything about the stuff.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:33 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Here's some info on the changeover

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
100-16 XL coolant-1.pdf (80.6 KB, 167 views)
Old 02-05-2014, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member

OK, I forgot we were talking about Jaguar engineers and that it would be model year dependent. Makes more sense now.

The following users liked this post:
Mr. Feathers (02-06-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 02:35 AM

So then from what I can tell, no one can definitively answer my questions?

After trying to find information on these so called specifications, I think Ive come to the conclusion that the spec. numbers are just a random set that the manufacturer uses to discribe their product. And they arent going to advertise that its the same as the next guys because they want you to only buy their product. I mean if the D542 has some magical ingredient then they should say so.

So Im gonna go out on a limb here and surmise that if I flush the system very well, it doesnt matter what I use as long as its ok for aluminium and isnt Dexcool. Or am I missing something?

I think the only other option would be to top with something like the Prestone stuff that mixes with anything. I cant see it being the same as Dexcool that mixes with nothing. Or again, am I missing something? I thought it was the Dexcool that could mess up gaskets if it wasnt made to run the stuff in the first place, so I think I want to stay away from that with my MY.

Thoughts? Facts? Any and all would be appreciated.

Trying my best not to come off annoyed, but the manufacturer and antifreeze companies shouldnt make it this difficult. Im just sayin.. its kinda stupid. Ya know?

Old 02-06-2014, 05:36 AM
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

The only thing you need to do is not screw with an aluminum engine. Use what the manual/expansion tank says. Seriously - it isn't worth messing around.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:14 AM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Originally Posted by BurgXK8
The only thing you need to do is not screw with an aluminum engine. Use what the manual/expansion tank says. Seriously - it isn't worth messing around.
I agree but what exactly is that in fjroze's case for his '98 car?

I've spent a bit of time searching and didn't find a definitive answer anywhere.

This was interesting Top it Up with Green? Or Orange? Which Antifreeze? - Column - Car Reviews - Car and Driver

Quick Reply: '98 Antifreeze Compatability