XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice Request: Considering my first Jaguar

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 07:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Advice Request: Considering my first Jaguar

Hi all, long-time lurker here; currently considering a 1998 XKR S/C to replace my DD which was stolen a few weeks ago. The car has roughly 80K km, seems in good shape from a superficial inspection (no rust, no uneven tyre wear, etc ..) handles well (even though I have not taken her above 90 km/h so far) and the dealer is willing to pay for a Jaguar inspection + maintenance prior to buying. I've always loved the lines of this car and my budget allows for the necessary maintenance costs etc., my wife gives me free reign in choosing my car and so all should be great ... however, a small part of me is still nagging on the fact that this will be my DD. Any advice, thought, recommendations?

Attached Thumbnails Advice Request: Considering my first Jaguar-af4ce5aef8.jpg  
Old 11-30-2017, 09:56 AM
GGG
Received 16,796 Likes on 12,166 Posts

Welcome to the forum David,

I've always used my Jaguars as DD's and only needed the services of a recovery vehicle twice in over forty five years.

Have at look at the FAQ's 'sticky' at the top of the thread list for regular issues with this model. There are three areas to consider:

1. plastic timing chain tensioners (must be replaced with later metal type)
2. transmission fluid changes (not in the service schedule but highly recommended to increase unit life)
3. cooling system - early water pump failure/ plastic components

An excellent model and not difficult to maintain for a DIY'er. Can get expensive if you intend to use dealer or independent.

Graham

Old 11-30-2017, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,274 Likes on 2,811 Posts

^^ What Graham said. If you cannot DIY the vast majority of your maintenance and repairs, your checkbook will take a major hit....

Old 11-30-2017, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

+1 on Graham. I have a 1998, fell in love with it after about a day! She's my DD.

Hey let me launch one thing. I didn't know much about these models before purchase. If I were to do it again I'd get the supercharged model. Looks like you're checking out a hardtop, you sure you won't be wishing you got a convertible in hind sight? Of course you could take a hardtop on the track, not convertible from what I hear. Both are great you can't go wrong either way.

John

Old 12-01-2017, 01:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 460 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnken
If I were to do it again I'd get the supercharged model.
For me, it was a no-brainer. Faster, no vvts to go wrong and the more robust Mercedes gearbox, plus some other upgrades and ... its faster!

A few other things to look for on a 1998:-

1) That is still the era of the Nikasil engines - I would want to be sure the engine is ok.

2) Suspension may well need a rebuild as all the rubber bits will have dissolved over 20 years.

3) Rust. The OP is in Geneva, which I assume means salt on the roads in winter. A 1998 could look great on the outside, but could be a complete rust bucket underneath. Plenty of threads on the subject and what you need to look out for, including rotten footwells.

Finally if you can live with 20mpg as a commuter car (less around town) then you will end up with a great car for the purchase price.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:11 PM
Received 243 Likes on 136 Posts

Finally if you can live with 20mpg as a commuter car
A lot of folks complain about gas mileage but I'm quite pleased with the mileage I get. On long runs at about 70mph/110kph I'm getting close to 35 mpg. I have made no mods and I think I can actually get her to run better with some winter maintenance .

Old 12-01-2017, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 460 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by Barry_Tucker
A lot of folks complain about gas mileage but I'm quite pleased with the mileage I get. On long runs at about 70mph/110kph I'm getting close to 35 mpg. I have made no mods and I think I can actually get her to run better with some winter maintenance .
You won't get 35mpg out of a 4.0 XKR, which is the car the OP is asking about. 4.2 cars have different transmissions, hence the better fuel economy.

Old 12-01-2017, 11:53 PM
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I purchased my 2000 xkr this spring as my DD, and I'm smiling every time I arrive at the office.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:11 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I love my XKR, and was just like you not long ago. I decided to go with my heart and get the car I truly wanted.

I drive it more than I intended to. I was just going to keep it back as a special treat, but I love the EXPERIENCE of driving it so much I just use it all the time.

The biggest worry is rust, second is delayed maintenance. Make certain it looks spotless underneath and has evidence of being cared for, or else you will pay for those neglected repairs.

I bought mine ahead of schedule when the 'right' car came along unexpectedly. I was prepared to look as long as it took to get the 'one'.

Having the benefit of a qualified inspection is a great advantage. Get under the car with them and ask questions. Get the person inspecting it personally involved with someone that they want to help (you), and listen to what they tell you. Mechanics are proud of what they do and what they know, and a little respect goes a long way.

Then tell the gang here what they said and they will help you decide if you want assistance.

Best of luck!

Jim

Last edited by flylear45; 12-05-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts
Smile David the XKR Coupe Guy!

David,

That is one good looking 98 Coupe.....Haven't determined the color but it looks really good and the Wheels are excellent. (Double-Five of something like that) Looking as good as it does and with the low mileage (for almost 20 years old) and it appears they are asking a good price for it, as they are willing to pay for a few things to make sure it's in good condition.......seems like a good deal......but remember, it is 20 years old and you need to do the things that Graham has indicated before you drive it very much....Those things are very important for that model of Jaguar. If you don't do them, then you want have it very long......Spend about $3,500.00 on it and you will have the Jag for a long time.......and the best thing about it is that it's a Coupe....You'll love it!

Billy Clyde in Houston (My first XK was a Topaz 98 Coupe)

Old 12-05-2017, 09:40 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

I love my Jags but make sure you buy the best condition you can. Search my threads for a cautionary tale :-0

Best!

Old 12-14-2017, 09:23 PM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

David,

these are great DD's ... as they do NOT like to sit... I drive them (fast)

the other posts have some good tips... as I have done timing tensioners in a '97

these are beautiful cars, that must be driven ....LOTS

I know of what I speak... I'm addicted to XK's

Cheers,
Andy

Old 12-15-2017, 01:41 AM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

+1

What everyone else already said. Life is too short not to drive an XK8/XKR!

Old 12-15-2017, 08:07 PM
Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

don't think twice, supercharged XKR is the way to go. I have had mine 11 months, and put almost 14,000 miles on it, AND I work from home. every time I step on the gas, and my head hits the headrest, I fall in love again. good luck!