XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After New Tires Installed, ABS Light & DSC Fault Light On

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 07:24 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default After New Tires Installed, ABS Light & DSC Fault Light On

After having new tires installed, just 5 miles down the road, I parked at another store and heard an unfamiliar pinging/warning sound in the car. I had never heard it before. I went into the store. When I came back out and started the car, the ABS light was on and so was the DSC fault light.

Something tells me maybe they hit a sensor? What else could it be?

I am so upset right now, I can barely breathe.

Not only are these warning lights on, but I also found out tonight that they replaced my tires with Michelin high performance SUMMER tires. They were supposed to replace the tires with the same (or very similar) ALL SEASON radials. Not only was this ignorant, but extremely dangerous were I to never realize I had summer tires on the car. Could cost me my life in bad weather, (or someone else's life) AND cost me a huge sum to have to buy additional tires for the bad winters we can have - ($1400).

Equally upset that I must waste so much more time going back and possibly having a very ugly episode over the summer tires. Thankfully, I have on my side the fact that Michelin knows they were giving me an 80% credit to replace my all-seasons.

These days, it's so hard finding people and businesses who just do the right thing. All the many times I have had tires replaced in my lifetime, I have never had this happen. Can't fathom the hows/whys of this. Very irresponsible.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:27 PM
Received 4,180 Likes on 3,643 Posts

ouch - not good!!! Could be sensor or cable to the sensor as most likely culprit. they definitely need to resolve - hope it is not too much more frustrating!!

The following users liked this post:
Samantha (04-02-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by sklimii
ouch - not good!!! Could be sensor or cable to the sensor as most likely culprit. they definitely need to resolve - hope it is not too much more frustrating!!

Thanks. A friend just reminded me that I should be grateful the warning lights came on. It was the only reason I started investigating the tires.

Complaining about the wrong tires 7 months later is totally different than complaining the next day.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:14 PM

Yuck ... Look how dirty a wheel speed sensor can get.

Attached Thumbnails After New Tires Installed, ABS Light & DSC Fault Light On-dirty%2520speed%2520sensor.png  
Old 04-02-2013, 11:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

That's definitely not an XK8 wheel speed sensor. I'm assuming that's just a pic you found.

First, I'd make sure they put all of the tires back in the correct places. Your rims all look the same but the front ones are narrower than the rears and the front rims take a different size tire than the rears. If they put a rear tire on a front rim, or vice-versa, or if they put a rear tire/rim combo on the front by mistake, then the wheel speed sensors might be picking up enough of a difference in wheel speed to trigger the ABS/traction control message. Look to see if the tire on one wheel seems to bulge out more than it should while the tire on another rim almost seems too narrow. And just check the tire sizes to make sure the two fronts are the same size and the two rears are the same size.

Assuming all of that checks out, they might have just jiggled some dirt loose and the wheel speed sensors need cleaning. Someone posted a groovy video a while back which shows how to clean them. I think it's pretty simple. Look in the FAQs at the top of the forum. Clean the sensors, and if the problem doesn't go away, there's a chance they bumped one of the wires leading to a wheel speed sensor when they were installing your tires. That could have broken the connection within the wire harness, which would be almost impossible to see. If that's actually the problem then proving the tire place did it would be nearly impossible.

The following users liked this post:
Samantha (04-03-2013)
Old 04-03-2013, 10:36 AM

Naw, Reverend Sam, I didn't say it was a Jag sensor, just "a" sensor. That is extremely filthy regardless of the car.

I drove the car this morning and the warning lights were off. Maybe the tires needed time to adjust with the ABS.

I called them and they were quite apologetic about everything. Come to find out, Michelin had advised the tire dealer that those tires were all season. When the dealer called Michelin back after I complained, the rep confessed she said the tires were all season. (Thankfully, she was honest.) So Michelin will be taking care of the cost of all shipping, returning and re-installing.

It was a weird mistake to make because I since found that all Michelin "Super Sport" tires are summer tires.

The dealer said if there is any issue with their prior install, they will repair it. We shall see.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:32 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Sam, good to see you again. Any closer to getting the XKR you've been promising yourself?

Old 04-03-2013, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
Someone posted a groovy video a while back which shows how to clean them. I think it's pretty simple.
Yeah, when is that guy coming back? I need more videos for help this summer.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:08 PM
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Get Sam a new Jag!

Originally Posted by Jag#4
Yeah, when is that guy coming back? I need more videos for help this summer.
I totally agree. You know... given the number of members we have, if we all chipped in $10 or $20 each, we could buy Sam a new XK8 or XKR. His videos have certainly saved me that much in money and a lot more in aggravation.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:12 PM
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

Samantha,
My DSC light comes on whenever the car thinks I'm getting too complacent, then goes out on restart. It actually sort of reminds me of how reliable its been over the last 30,000 miles or so. I've had fewer issues with it than with my wife's New Beetle!