XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alarm Key Fob not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 02:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Alarm Key Fob not working

Hello and happy new year to all at this forum. My new year started with a small problem with the alarm fob of my XK8. basically its not working and the spare one I got is not working as well. I changed the batrries and cleaned the fobs but still nothing. The car alarm system works ok when I use it manually ie when I close the car with the car key. I have tried to follow the instructions in the fob programming tread of this forum but I cannot get the alarm to go into learning mode. Any suggestions?? and can someone tell me why this should happen? The only thing that I can think of is that I have not used the car for a month and 2 days ago I had to jump start it with all the usual reprogramming that goes with it.

Thanks

Old 01-01-2013, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Galea
Hello and happy new year to all at this forum. My new year started with a small problem with the alarm fob of my XK8. basically its not working and the spare one I got is not working as well. I changed the batrries and cleaned the fobs but still nothing. The car alarm system works ok when I use it manually ie when I close the car with the car key. I have tried to follow the instructions in the fob programming tread of this forum but I cannot get the alarm to go into learning mode. Any suggestions?? and can someone tell me why this should happen? The only thing that I can think of is that I have not used the car for a month and 2 days ago I had to jump start it with all the usual reprogramming that goes with it.

Thanks
The jump start may put the security computer in an unhappy state, and your battery may be low on charge.

First you need to charge the battery with a charger or take a long 1 hour plus drive to do the same.

Then try disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds and reconnecting it. If it does not work the first time, repeat it a few times, trying it after each one.

The following users liked this post:
Charlie Galea (01-02-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 04:18 PM
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Something I have noticed with my car ................... if I don't use the car for a week or so when I come to unlock her the fob's don't work , if I press the boot/trunk button or the headlamp button they work fine , after operating either of these the lock and unlock buttons work fine even from a large distance
It's as if the cars security module needs to be "woken up" and the only way to achieve this is to press the headlamp or boot/trunk button first, any idea's on this one WhiteXKR ,

Happy New Year

NikasilNik

Old 01-01-2013, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by NikasilNik
Something I have noticed with my car ................... if I don't use the car for a week or so when I come to unlock her the fob's don't work , if I press the boot/trunk button or the headlamp button they work fine , after operating either of these the lock and unlock buttons work fine even from a large distance
It's as if the cars security module needs to be "woken up" and the only way to achieve this is to press the headlamp or boot/trunk button first, any idea's on this one WhiteXKR ,

Happy New Year

NikasilNik
Nik-
The car is supposed to go into 'deep sleep' and require the key to reactivate, but after 28 days. Maybe yours has a fast metabolism.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did all the charging and reprograming and although I can get the alarm into learning mode, I get the red LED light and the low chirp and when I press the key fob buttons nothing happens after a few seconds I get 2 car alarm chirps and that's it. The batteries are new and all is clean. i also try my spare key fob but still nothing. How do you test if the key fobs are transmitting???? Thanks to all

Old 01-02-2013, 05:55 PM
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Nik-
The car is supposed to go into 'deep sleep' and require the key to reactivate, but after 28 days. Maybe yours has a fast metabolism.
A bit like myself

Happy New Year

NikasilNik