XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amateurs Removing Engine...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 09:39 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Amateurs Removing Engine...?

Tried a search but I did not get much information except specific fix's. Apologies if I am search challenged.

So our 2002 XK8 Coupe with 225,000 finally started making "not good" lower end noises a few years back. The body is near perfect and the interior need a sprucing up so we are finally considering having the engine rebuilt. However, estimates by a mechanic are way beyond what makes sense. So my son (28 and surprisingly good mechanically) suggest we do it together. Love the idea, but reality is something I like to keep in mind when doing such a large project. Car is garaged.

So my questions;

After sitting for a a year or so, and with the battery recharged, turn the key and nothing. No lights...nothing. Reboot or worse?

Given the information on internet, YouTube and service manuals how likely is this to be successful?

Rebuild block or buy a re-manufactured core (my first choice)?

Removing tranny and have it rebuilt seems to make sense (even though it was working fine last time used).

A/C not working so I assume with engine removed much easier to get to evaporator etc.

I am sure I am missing much but thought I this might help out our next steeps.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

The Transmissions go out and Jags Rust badly, so there are 100K mile, complete XK8 or XJ8 motors out there for $1,000.

With the motor out you can put in new timing chains/tensioners and it will go another 100K miles and you'll have your old motor for spare parts.

A 225K mile XK8 probably needs lots of non motor related repairs so an amatuer doesn't stay an amatuer for long.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,417 Likes on 755 Posts
Default Great father and son project

Go for it! Amazing father and son project.

i would recommend you find a reconditioned engine as the precision work on a full engine tear down and rebuild would take ages especially as “Amateurs” are not familiar with the close tolerance parts assembly. Imagine the horror when you find, at the end, a rattle, ping or a smokey exhaust as the piston rings are wrong.

In the past I’ve used a local mechanic’s car lift for specific jobs, and trailered the car back home to carry on working in own garage.

If you take this on, please let us follow the complete story. It’ll be fun few months.... years....

Old 06-03-2019, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,057 Likes on 673 Posts

Originally Posted by Ungn
so an amatuer doesn't stay an amatuer for long.
Yes, everyone has to start somewhere. But I recommend you diagnose the electrical fault and get it running before you start pulling stuff apart. Best practice is to get everything working first, with the exception of the bottom end noises of course, otherwise when you put it back together and it won't start or won't run right or some accessories don't work, you'll be frustrated at trying to figure out whether you did something wrong or if its related to the original unknown problems. If its working before you take it apart, then whatever doesn't work after you put it back together, you can narrow it down to something you touched in the process. Then its usually something as simple as a plug overlooked. Take lots of close-up pictures as you go and bag and label all the fasteners. I like to make little drawings on the bags showing where for example bolts of different lengths go back. Don't throw away any of the original gaskets or anything until after its reassembled because you will want the old ones to compare and verify you have the correct replacements or for correct orientation. If you never done this level of work before, be prepared to spend a lot of money on tools. I've got lots of tools, but I always wind up buying something for every project, like I wound up buying a set of mid-length sockets for the catalytic converter to manifold studs as for one, a deep socket was too long to fit in the space and a regular socket was too short to go over the stud. The worst thing you're going to run into will be bolts and screws that break or strip, particularly given your location in the rust-belt. Just keep small children out of earshot. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
02XKRNJ (07-07-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 11:16 PM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

What is the noise it is making? Are you sure the timing gear isn't going bad again making the noise? Again as in it was replaced once and hence you're at 225k miles or initially because you have a post 08/01 engine.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 402 Likes on 299 Posts

I can only say that I wish my son could or would do a project like this with me. So, I envy you there. I do agree that it would be best to solve the no power issue
first, rather than having the same issue after a whole lot of work. But it sounds like something that shouldn't be too hard to find. Best of luck, and of course
everybody is here to help.