XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amber Engine Light....

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 02:34 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Amber Engine Light....

As subject line. No messages, no restricted performance. Car doesnt seem to be missing a beat - but that light stays on.

I did drive a little harder than I normally do the day before this light came on - but nothing seemed (seems) untoward. I know the likely causes are probably infinite. Just thought I'd share this with you here.

I'm going to Jag dealer at earliest opportunity to get codes, if any, and see whats what.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:58 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

i am no expert but i had the same on my xtype and called rac,he asked me if i had changed the plugs lately,which i had he told me it was the car trying to adjust,so he put the settings back to the factory setting with his magic box and i never saw it again

Old 04-03-2013, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by dodgerjames
i am no expert but i had the same on my xtype and called rac,he asked me if i had changed the plugs lately,which i had he told me it was the car trying to adjust,so he put the settings back to the factory setting with his magic box and i never saw it again
Yeah I hear you. I have a feeling its not something vital. Like probably the powers that be will say here, it could be any number of things. I don't use car as a daily driver and its next trip will be to Jaguar so - hopefully it will get sorted there and then. Thanks for your input. All input and ideas gratefully received. My first jag so I'm learning all the time.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Read the OBD codes. Cheapest is an OBD bluetooth dongle off EBay UK and an app called Torque.
There will be codes if you've got a MIL.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
Read the OBD codes. Cheapest is an OBD bluetooth dongle off EBay UK and an app called Torque.
There will be codes if you've got a MIL.
Hi steve and thanks. I don't have a reader and all of my computers are apple which probably raises more comparability issues than its solves. I kind if live dead close to Jaguar in Gatwick so will just roll in there when I am home next week.i

Old 04-03-2013, 04:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

You don't need a computer if you've got an Android phone - but with a car like that you do need an OBD reader.
Have a look here for ifo - much cheaper than a trip to Jaguar!!
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...55/#post707475
There's a setup video on the same thread.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
You don't need a computer if you've got an Android phone - but with a car like that you do need an OBD reader.
Have a look here for ifo - much cheaper than a trip to Jaguar!!
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...55/#post707475
There's a setup video on the same thread.
Lol steve even my phone is iPhone. Having said that getting the codes would be useful. And then again, having said that DIY is not one of my better life skills. I would take the car to kevin at DesignXKR and that is an option except its a bit of a treck. jaguar at Gatwick will only get one chance if I feel I'm getting ripped off. Although, I really don't mind paying for issues to be solved.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:23 AM

Just an update on this - my local MOT centre read the codes this morning. There were just 2. One related to 'inefficient cat' the other was a P1000 manufacturer code (isn't this one there all the time?). I did suspect my last tank of fuel which was a lower quality 95ron instead of my usual 99ron that I almost exclusively use. Previous owner of this car told me that on the few occasions he got the amber check engine light, that it was a minor thing. I got the codes cleared and they haven't come back. No more amber check engine light.

I'm hoping this is the end of this particular drama. All ready for the next one now!!!

Old 04-13-2013, 09:41 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by RSsteveH
I did suspect my last tank of fuel which was a lower quality 95ron instead of my usual 99ron that I almost exclusively use.
The octane rating of fuel has nothing to do with quality. There's crap 99 just as much as crap 95.

The recommended fuel for your car is 95. Using 99 is simply wasting money.

The P1000 code means that the car has not yet finished doing all it's self checks.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Mikey
The octane rating of fuel has nothing to do with quality. There's crap 99 just as much as crap 95.

The recommended fuel for your car is 95. Using 99 is simply wasting money.

The P1000 code means that the car has not yet finished doing all it's self checks.
Hmmm I understand what you're saying about 95 and 99. But then it does beg the question why are there different rons available? Why not just have one grade of unleaded or super unleaded? I mean there must be a difference in the two? This thinking follows through most car make forums and with high performance car drivers opting for 99 where available. The guy I bought this car from swears by Tesco 99 and is a car nut. He is currently running a DB9. I'm guessing it comes down to personal choices, opinions etc.

Many thanks for clearing that P1000 thing up though. I remain with no fault codes - long may it continue.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:29 PM

The sole difference in 95 and 99 octane ratings is purely resistance to detonation, 'knocking', 'pinging' or 'pinking' as it's sometimes called. High compression/high performance engines are more susceptible to this, which if left unchecked can destroy an engine in short order. Beyond quelling detonation, there is no other benefit. It won't make more horsepower, improve mileage, aid starting or any of a thousand other false beliefs that people have. If, as Jaguar states in the owners manual detonation is avoided through the use of 95, obviously more is not better.

It does no harm to run higher than optimum octane other than to the pocketbook, but the placebo effect convinces many that they're actually seeing a benefit. Convincing them otherwise is usually futile.

High octane petrol costs more to make, so must retail for a higher price.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:54 PM

The sole difference in 95 and 99 octane ratings is purely resistance to detonation, 'knocking', 'pinging' or 'pinking' as it's sometimes called. High compression/high performance engines are more susceptible to this, which if left unchecked can destroy an engine in short order. Beyond quelling detonation, there is no other benefit. It won't make more horsepower, improve mileage, aid starting or any of a thousand other false beliefs that people have. If, as Jaguar states in the owners manual detonation is avoided through the use of 95, obviously more is not better.

It does no harm to run higher than optimum octane other than to the pocketbook, but the placebo effect convinces many that they're actually seeing a benefit. Convincing them otherwise is usually futile.

High octane petrol costs more to make, so must retail for a higher price.

Sure Mikey I get what your saying. But in giving the 'resistance to detonation, knocking, pinking' reasons and the fact that high performance engines are more susceptible to this has negated your argument of wasting money on higher octane fuel surely? More so especially when you go on to point out that it can destroy the engine in shirt order. My point for bringing that up in the first place was as a possible reason for why my amber engine light came on when I changed from one to the other.

My point in asking what would be the point of making a high octane super unleaded if no benefit was attained is struck out with the above paragraph. I'm sure I'd be labelled naive if I thought I'd get extra HP from a fuel that is a few pence more than the norm? I actually had the engine's long term health as my motivation and this again is dealt with in your own excellent response.

Once again Mikey, many thanks.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:33 PM

In a nutshell, Jaguar has done all the engineering and testing required to demonstrate that no detonation will occur in your engine if 95 is used.

Less than 95- you're taking a potential risk.
Higher than 95- unnecessary/waste of money.

Your CEL coming on is not connect to using the recommended 95 fuel. It wouldn't come if you had used subpar fuel, for that matter. The engines are equipped with knock sensors to detect detonation. If this occurs, the ignition timing is temporarily retarded until the detonation ceases. This is a normal function of the car's control system, so no code or CEL is set.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:18 AM

In a nutshell, Jaguar has done all the engineering and testing required to demonstrate that no detonation will occur in your engine if 95 is used.

Less than 95- you're taking a potential risk.
Higher than 95- unnecessary/waste of money.

Your CEL coming on is not connect to using the recommended 95 fuel. It wouldn't come if you had used subpar fuel, for that matter. The engines are equipped with knock sensors to detect detonation. If this occurs, the ignition timing is temporarily retarded until the detonation ceases. This is a normal function of the car's control system, so no code or CEL is set.
Sure - I'm guessing that people use the higher octane as an added safeguard? Also, jaguar have done all the testing with the engine in standard form - so, with modified cars possibly there are added risks of detonation etc etc? Also as a car ages and miles increase do these risks not apply then also? I'm not being argumentative but my original question remains. If there is no point or no benefit in using the higher octane fuel why is it made and sold? Surely there can't be enough 'mugs' out there to keep this fuel as a marketable option for the oil companies?

Old 04-14-2013, 04:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,063 Likes on 759 Posts

@RSSteveH

That's how you need to see it, it is an extra insurance, as you are running more boost/generate more heat above for what the engine was designed. It might even be more of a necessity then insurance even...

As Mikey said, you have either a catalyst or o2 sensor issue and it has nothing to do with octane rating. It takes time before the ECU will trigger the orange lite, may even be a couple of drive cycles.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by avos
@RSSteveH

That's how you need to see it, it is an extra insurance, as you are running more boost/generate more heat above for what the engine was designed. It might even be more of a necessity then insurance even...

As Mikey said, you have either a catalyst or o2 sensor issue and it has nothing to do with octane rating. It takes time before the ECU will trigger the orange lite, may even be a couple of drive cycles.
Spot on avos my thoughts exactly. I will definitely continue to use higher octane fuel for some added peace of mind.

If the dreaded orange light comes back on I will definitely be getting it checked out in greater depth. I'd assume if the same codes appear it actually needs to be checked out. In the mean time my hunt for a code reader and software continues. If Jaguar had read the codes it would have probably cost me best part of £50. As it was I gave local MOT and service guy a tenner and he was exceptionally helpful.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:19 AM

Sorry- didn't see that your engine has been modified. Without knowing what's been done, it may/may not require higher octane than 95. On the other hand, these mods may be the source of the CEL lamp illuminating.

Difficult to guess.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:26 AM

Sorry- didn't see that your engine has been modified. Without knowing what's been done, it may/may not require higher octane than 95. On the other hand, these mods may be the source of the CEL lamp illuminating.

Difficult to guess.
Sure Mikey although my post signature is pretty comprehensive. I haven't modified anything myself but the mods were pretty well established way before I got the car. I'm still learning and if the same light/code re-appears with the cat efficiency fault then I'm going to get it looked at in more depth. I'm assuming any cat problem is not a good one long term (or short term).

Old 09-08-2013, 01:47 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default amber engine lite on after engine start

Just took the Jag out for a short drive and when I restarted it the amber engine lite did not go off. There were no other indications or messages. I checked the manual and it just says the lite will go off when the engine starts. Apparently the lite just tells you that the engine is running when off or not running when on!!!Will this clear itself after driving through a cycle? I am getting ready to ship the car from CT to GA in about two weeks. I am not sure if this is a problem or not. I already packed my OBD checker so I can't check it myself. I will call my Local Jag dealer tomorrow to see if I can clear it or have to bring the car in for a check. Maybe Auto Zone can clear it for me, any ideas would be appreciated??

Bill N
03 XKR vert

Old 09-08-2013, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

At least take it to Autozone and find out what code is stored. They may be able to clear it.

Quick Reply: Amber Engine Light....